Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see gas here went up 18 cents since yesterday! Its gone up 92 cents in just the last 2 months. Of course I had to fill up today and not yesterday, if I had only known!

I'm sure glad I got rid of my explorer, I would be pumping about $140 a month into that thing. But I'm already putting an extra $20 a month in the Z since two months ago!, when wil this insanity stop????????????:spinning:

Unfornunately, I know some of you out there are paying more than that!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Feel your pain but the industry got us by the balls (figuratively speaking)!!! Somehow the price of gas goes up instantaneously when crude prices goes up but drop rather slowly when price drops such as today by more than $3 per barrel. If I have to guess, it would get even worse before it gets any better so we must brace ourselves.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I hope gasoline goes up to $5+ and diesel stays at ~$3-4. This way I will see a lot less moronic soccer moms in monster SUVs hauling 20-lbs kids while supply chain costs will remain the same. It will also finally bring turbo diesel small cars to the US.

$4/gal is very, very low compared to the rest of the world, so who cares? CR-Z costs 10c/mile to run at current prices - that's very affordable transportation.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
It has to do with oil speculators mostly. It is all lies and B.S. Living proof is the past two years gas prices have just about remained stagnant until those S.O.B.'s got wind the economy was "recovering" and they decided to play there game. Also they will use every excuse they can to squeeze the market and isn't it funny they can never be consistent on reason why oil should be so high . Right now the A-holes (can you tell I don't like them?) are blaming Libya. The funny thing is, they supply only 2% of the oil for the world and mostly it is Europe.

·
Registered
846 Posts
and the next excuse will be Hurricane Season, they have already put out their scare everyone guess that this season will be worse than last year... yeah ok.... o_O

-R

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmm....glad I don't live in Germany, Daisy (at least when it comes to gasoline prices!)

According to my Fuelly, we've bought 648.95 gal since we got Sherman last September, and spent $2,114.78 (avg of $3.259/gal). [I know our Fuelly is missing a couple transactions, but most are listed]
...if we had to pay that $9.44/gal price, that'd be $6,126.09, or ~$1k/month on gasoline. WHOA.

As annoying as it is when gasoline prices go up, we (as in me & my husband) can't really complain. We drive a tiny car that easily gets over 35mpg, & can run on 87 octane and an oil change once every 10k miles. We previously had 2 BMWs that used 93 octane & got less than 28mpg. And MA gas prices aren't terrible (almost always just about the "national average"), nothing compared to the prices in CA or IL.

·
Registered
609 Posts
SangreRaVen is right - the local news is talking about a record hurricane season possibility because of the weather patterns we're seeing and how that will impanct the economy since lots of refineries could be affected. Also prices always seem to rise for summer vacation driving season even though less people will be driving far with the recession.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's just going to keep going up and up...
But I refuse to let it change the way I live, I just have to spend more on gas

·
Registered
669 Posts
It has to do with oil speculators mostly. It is all lies and B.S. Living proof is the past two years gas prices have just about remained stagnant until those S.O.B.'s got wind the economy was "recovering" and they decided to play there game. Also they will use every excuse they can to squeeze the market and isn't it funny they can never be consistent on reason why oil should be so high . Right now the A-holes (can you tell I don't like them?) are blaming Libya. The funny thing is, they supply only 2% of the oil for the world and mostly it is Europe.
Agreed. It's almost as if the traditional market forces of "supply and demand" don't apply here. It seems to me as if they don't control the supply, or the demand, but still manage to increase the prices through fear and manipulation of the market.

Although there is competition amongst oil companies, they have a virtual monopoly on fuel. If you need fuel for your car there is only one place to get it and that is "Big Oil". Ironically, the higher they price their product the more attractive alternatives become. I'd also imagine that if fuel became $10 a gallon, it would make it economical to drill for oil domestically. So maybe this is part of the plan?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Agreed. It's almost as if the traditional market forces of "supply and demand" don't apply here. It seems to me as if they don't control the supply, or the demand, but still manage to increase the prices through fear and manipulation of the market.

Although there is competition amongst oil companies, they have a virtual monopoly on fuel. If you need fuel for your car there is only one place to get it and that is "Big Oil". Ironically, the higher they price their product the more attractive alternatives become. I'd also imagine that if fuel became $10 a gallon, it would make it economical to drill for oil domestically. So maybe this is part of the plan?
Yes I believe they are slitting there own throats.

I work in the power industry and live in the biggest "oil patch" west of the Mississippi. The problem with drilling here is all the taxes, government regulations, and environmental extremism. It is cheaper to import oil than it is to drill. That's why when politicians say/ do increase taxes and regulations on domestic oil, shut down rigs, limit our own production, stop exploratory drilling and then they say it is an "effort to lesson our dependence on foreign oil." and all it does is the complete opposite it makes me want to pull my hair out. Look at it this way- ever since Gore was in office and he floored the cause on "Global Warming" the U.S. has passed more taxes and regulations on oil and fuel production in the U.S. the past fifteen years than in the past thirty years before it and yet our dependence has grown over 70%. Coincidence? I think not. Also if you believe the hype, our air is much worse now than fifteen years ago. So that means all the taxes and regulations that where passed have had no effect other than drive up the cost of gas and oil products and made us more dependent on foreign oil. The other side of it gives our country and economy to foreign governments and crack pots. The icing on the cake is our government giving foreign countries the money to drill for there own oil while they shut ours down! It is frickin beyond stupidity.

They need to take the speculators out of trading, start drilling on our soil, while technology and infrastructure can ramp up for alternative fuels. That is the smoothest and easiest way to get off of foreign oil and switch to alternative energy.

The people are not mad enough yet for change.

Ok, I am done with this subject..........

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you look around, it seems that the average person really doesn't care anyway. There are an awful lot of SUV's, pickups, and high performance cars out there and they are all flying by me!!

I guess I just don't get how the average person can afford or justify spending in some cases $300 or more a month in gas! For some people thats like having an extra car payment a month. Most people aren't getting raises that are covering the increase in gas, cable, food, utilities, etc, etc., but everyone still "has" to have their cable and big cars, and seems like the resturants are always hopping.

I just have a feeling everything is eventually going to come crashing down on alot of people!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.