Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a 90,000 mile 2012 CR-Z, the battery indicator stayed at 6 out of 8 for a 20 minute drive and the ICE only stops when in stationary.

Just double checking this is normal before buying the car, anything helps, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
In Car Entertainment should not stop when car is not moving. if you are referring to the AC fan or cooling turning off when in auto stop that is normal. The IMA gauge has a total of 8 bars and it is normally for a short drive somewhere between 6 and 8.

There are many threads on everything here . You may want to do some more research.

For more buying advice look at this thread

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Car Entertainment should not stop when car is not moving. if you are referring to the AC fan or cooling turning off when in auto stop that is normal. The IMA gauge has a total of 8 bars and it is normally for a short drive somewhere between 6 and 8.

There are many threads on everything here . You may want to do some more research.

For more buying advice look at this thread
Thanks for your reply, sorry for the confusion ICE in my case stands for Internal Combustion Engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
I guess I own a unicorn then. I frequently see 8 bars on my bought new now 78K 2013 EX. The main thing is you should see the state of charge change as you drive the car. If you push the car hard the bars should go down ( never below 1) and as you drive it should recharge.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Car has Auto stop. When stopped engine should turn off. There is an indication on the cluster when Auto stop is engaged. That is the biggest gas saver on the car and when engaged as I mentioned the fan and AC may turn off. Lots of threads on this and lots of odd ways to not have the car use auto stop. The simplest, easiest, and least dangerous methods are turn on the defroster in winter or turn the Auto AC to as low as it goes and or use other modes other than Econ which makes the Auto stop more aggressive.

Summary Engine off when stopped is WAD (Works As Designed).

Here ICE usually stands for In Car Entertainment.

This is a light hybrid. It can never run on electricity only. The IMA ( Integrated Motor Assist) is for extending the range of the car.

Since this one in an NIMH car not a LI-ION car there are many options for the maintenance and potential upgrades to the IMA system. Take a look at the very detailed very interesting threads posted by @PeterPerkins.

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the confusion ICE in my case stands for Internal Combustion Engine.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Looking at a 90,000 mile 2012 CR-Z, the battery indicator stayed at 6 out of 8 for a 20 minute drive and the ICE only stops when in stationary.

Just double checking this is normal before buying the car, anything helps, thanks!
Yes, it's normal for the engine to shut off as the car comes to a stop. You may want to take it for a longer drive though to make sure the IMA battery graph actually fluctuates as you drive.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

did they have to jump start it when you did the test drive? the IMA indicator gets a little hinky after a 12V drop-out, but it's not an indicator of the hybrid system health.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Time to re-post the intro to hybrid vehicle systems again. There are many degrees of 'hybridization'; the CR-Z (and all Honda Integrated Motor Assist vehicles) is a mild parallel hybrid. This is in contrast to a series parallel/power split hybrid a la toyota prius.

Hybrid vehicle drivetrain

Advantages of a mild system are lower cost, less weight, less complicated but still having many of the benefits of hybrid systems like better fuel economy, extra power assist, regenerative braking and PZEV/engine off at stops. In addition the Honda IMA: "also have a conventional starter as a backup, making it the only production hybrid system which can operate with its high voltage electric system disabled, using only its engine like a traditional vehicle."

·
Registered
10 Posts
i can confirm firsthand there is a starter that engages to start the vehicle using the 12volt underhood batter if theres a problem with the battery pack. Very unnerving the first time you hear it. I can also confirm the underhood 12v battery does not charge and is almost completely empty after driving around town without the hybrid battery working. I never got stranded driving the car like this but I didnt drive far and was trickle charging the battery every night in the garage. it was extremely low every time.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
The back up starter also engages if the air temp is very low. It is a good back up even if you have a working IMA battery. Batteries do not like very cold temperatures. Sounds like yours had another IMA issue other than just the the battery. If the IMA system is working then it will I believe charge the Under hood battery but there has been a lot of talk and even one member who intentionally turned off his IMA battery to see what would happen. TBH I am not sure how crippled the IMA system has to be before the charging system such as it is fails to charge the under hood battery.

Only 2 members ( maybe 3) have ever had an IMA failure. Considering how many CR-Zs in the world that is amazing to me.

I know The Speed Bump is gone the day after the IMA system has any kind of failure(if not covered by the warranty or the Honda Care I have on the car). The cost to repair it will be more than the car will be worth at that time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Thanks for all your replies.

I'm looking for a 2nd car, 1st car is a Prius PHV. Thats why I asked about the engine stopping. I expected it to stop when idling at the lights but I was expecting it to stop while driving as well. The "mild hybrid" explanation takes away my fear that maybe the battery was toast and unable to support the car by itself.

Driving it brings back memories of my CR-X in the 90's. :^)

Good to find out the battery is NiMH. The CR-Z wikipedia page mentions the newer model having a LiIon pack but doesn't mention the chemistry of the original model.

I'm going to test a few other cars tomorrow to see if I can get their battery SoC indicators to move off 6 bars.

I'm now worried about the poor backup 12V starter motor. Fancy sitting there and never getting a chance to prove your worth. :^) All those recent cars with autostop and a normal starter. You can hear them cranking away at the lights - I wonder how longer those poor starters and 12 batteries last in those cars. A big 3 phase motor between the ICE and gearbox sounds like a much more reliable way to start a car.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Prius= Electric car with Internal Combustion Engine to extend range
CR-Z = Internal Combustion Engine car with an electric system to extend range.

Two totally different concepts.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm now worried about the poor backup 12V starter motor. Fancy sitting there and never getting a chance to prove your worth. :^)
Original owner, had this car 10 years and never once heard the conventional starter. Just the seamless quiet spinup of the ultra-smooth IMA.

All those recent cars with autostop and a normal starter. You can hear them cranking away at the lights - I wonder how longer those poor starters and 12 batteries last in those cars. A big 3 phase motor between the ICE and gearbox sounds like a much more reliable way to start a car.
Yeah they sound awful don't they, kinda cheap and crappy.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Original owner, had this car 10 years and never once heard the conventional starter. Just the seamless quiet spinup of the ultra-smooth IMA.

Yeah they sound awful don't they, kinda cheap and crappy.
And European. Only without the diesel clatter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts