Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am loving this '16 CRZ CVT but I do find one thing a little annoying.

I am 6 foot, I drive with the seat nearly all the way back, this is comfortable for my right leg (gas and break). However, My left leg is not able to reach the footrest comfortably. I feel like I have to stretch it a bit to reach, leading me to drive often with my foot flat on the floor and my knee up in the dash. If I move my seat up, my left leg feels better, but my right feels like its twisting, and my knee is in the dash / wheel.

I don't have this issue with any of the other cars I have or have driven over the years. Everything from a old 300Z to the new Fit. I find this to be an odd and annoying issue.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Or it it just my hip and legs that are dumb?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought the same thing! I had a CVT and MT6 at the same time and had to check to make sure the CVT actually had the dead pedal installed.

The MT6 has the dead pedal in the correct spot to be comfortable while the CVT feels like it is so far away.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the part numbers for the carpet and the dead pedal are exactly the same for CVT and 6MT.
Then it must be how far out the pedals are from the firewall. The Break and Clutch must be closer to the firewall then the single brake pedal.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You are correct. Just opened up the FSM.

6MT brake pedal is 170mm off the firewall while the CVT is 196mm off the firewall.

I guess an inch would make that feel completely different.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 ft tall here as well.The problem in my 2014 CR-Z wasn't the placement of the dead pedal, The problem was that it was missing the clutch pedal.😝
I like Manual Cars, I own a few, and have been driving them before I ever bought a Auto. Hell, as far as I know Triumph never made a Automatic car they sold in the US. It's just the CVT is really comfy for commuting.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6MT brake pedal is 170mm off the firewall while the CVT is 196mm off the firewall.

I guess an inch would make that feel completely different.
What is FSM?

And Yes! that 1.02 inch is a really big difference. I guess I will need to come up with a spacer of some sort to put on. Like some of the pedal dress up kits I've seen for other cars that include the foot rest, and 3d print like a 1/2 inch spacer or more to try and find something that feels right.

Its odd that the EX I have has the chrome / stainless pedals but nothing like that on the foot rest.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Factory Service Manual, it can be had for the 2011-2012 in printed format but after that Honda went online only. Access is available as a subscription if one were inclined.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
The part is the same for manual and CVT cars.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Magenta

They are the same so some kind of spacer under the dead pedal might be easier, just make sure what ever you do attaches to the car the same way. I have never removed mine but I presume some kind of bolt is used and all you would need would be a longer one. You might even be able to find or make something cool that others would buy from you. Proof of concept might be a stack of washers at the attachment point but again you may need a longer bolt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. This is something I plan on tackling next week.

But first I gotta help my wife with her booth at New York Comic con. When I get back I'll pull the footrest out and take a good look at it.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
You’re not alone. I’m a foot shorter than you and can’t reach the footrest in my CVT unless I scrunch up the seat. My preference is to drive with legs stretched out. I bought a metal cover for the footrest that serves to bring the surface closer, but it’s only a quarter inch. My plan is to make a rubber block to add an inch or three, customizing to my body position. Things I wish I’d fiddled with in 2013 when my car was new :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made a 2” extension block for my pedal from some hard wood. attach it with screws or just duck tape the dam thing on but check the tape every now and then. Made all the difference in the world. I did the same thing years ago to my cr-x.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
718 Posts
I never really noticed it or paid attention, but I remembered this post while driving a few days back and noticed that I always either bend my knee and lay my foot flat on the floor, or I put it in a half-on half-off position on the foot rest. Having it a bit closer would be nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts