Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread targeted to guys and gals in the age range of 40-50, or 35 to 55 if you're stretching it!

So, with the forum's demographics poll showing so many of us "old farts" (I'm 45) have bought or are interested in the CR-Z, I was wondering if the car qualifies as a bonafide mid-life crisis!

I decided to start this thread after realizing that the CR-Z, once I have an open road and/or room to manuever, is changing my driving style and frequently taking me back to the late teen years when it was hard not to go heavy on the gas pedal and buzz around everywhere! Also, I'm finding that I often crank up the premium sound system that came with my EX version (and NO, you smart-arsed youngsters, it's not because I'm hard of hearing!!!). My lord, the subwoofer gets the CR-Z vibrating! My excitement with the car makes me suspicious!

Come on, fellow mid-lifers, weigh in on this subject. I know we can justify our purchases of the CR-Z's as "it's a nice, fun, green car at a good price," but break down the wall of sensibility and let it out! Meanwhile, I'm going to go look for my Farrah Fawcett and Cheryl Tiegs posters!!! :drool:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nah...As stated by moline; this is a DD but with a fun factor.

Planning on picking up the 911 Porsche Turbo S once I hit that mile stone. :eyebrows: :giggle: :drool: :wiggle: :dancing:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Wouldn't consider it a mid-life crisis thing. For some of us empty nesters, it is just enjoying (economically) the fruits of our labor. Although could afford it, a BMW or equivelent isn't what I (or the wifey) wants.

Up here in the Pacific North West I see more seniors driving Hybrids than the younger crowd. Usually the Prius. But that tells a lot. Us seniors are (maybe) a little more concerned about our impact on the planet and our grandchildren. After driving the Civic Hybrid for 3 years, here comes something a little more fun with a little more sporty handling. Kids on their own and successful, wifey likes it, lets go. We are doing our part in having a small of a carbon footprint as possible while still having a lifestyle. (note: retired military, been in several overseas sandboxes and hate financing them.)

Midlife crisis. Maybe. More awareness and looking for a little economical fun with a smaller carbon footprint. Yep. Best of both worlds.

Hang on, having a hot flash.. Where is that old Fog Hat album. I just wanna..... Oops sorry. One of those midlife flashes.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not so much a midlife crisis, but the result of dodging the family bullet ;)

I really loved my original 83 1300 CRX, and jumped at the chance to get a reliable, but fun 2-seater. No regrets at all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't believe in mid life crisis. If I did most cars that I've owned would be suspect to that claim, haha...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Let's see, now. "Mid-life crisis"?

That would have to mean I am at my "mid-life" right now. With 62 years down that would guarantee me another 62 to go, right?

With my life style I'll settle for making it to 114.

HELL YES - this is definitely my latest mid life crisis not that I thank about it. And I also enjoy tear-assing (sp ?) around town every chance I get. Just love that "after burner" button.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am 46 and I have to say NO it is NOT my mid life crisis, to have a mid life crisis you have to of grown up sometime along the line and that is one thing I have not done. I have always had my toys big ones and small ones. I have hot wheels and action figures all over my desk at work that I play with. BUT, I am in I.T. so that kind of stuff is expected.

J

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am 46 and I have to say NO it is NOT my mid life crisis, to have a mid life crisis you have to of grown up sometime along the line and that is one thing I have not done. I have always had my toys big ones and small ones. I have hot wheels and action figures all over my desk at work that I play with. BUT, I am in I.T. so that kind of stuff is expected.

J
Good point about not growing up-- I resemble that, at least mentally! :pP:

·
Registered
886 Posts

J
I was going to make a post saying just about the same thing. No reason for a crisis if you never stop doing what you like. Must be an IT thing..
I'm 10 years younger, but feel exactly the same/work exactly the same (w/ toys) :). Plus my job is a joke (to me.. not to my clients)... I've been doing the same thing since I was 15.. Now, sure I have large businesses on my shoulders rather than school and home PC's, and I guess it's more complex, but whatever. It's all just playing w/ computers.
(I ran a BBS from home starting about when I was 13 in the late 80's/early 90's, set up networking between a bunch of BBS's in my area for early version of forums and file sharing. Didn't realize until much later, I was working w/ tcp/ip when I was a kid. I guess that's what started this path.)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I was going to make a post saying just about the same thing. No reason for a crisis if you never stop doing what you like. Must be an IT thing..
I'm 10 years younger, but feel exactly the same/work exactly the same (w/ toys) :). Plus my job is a joke (to me.. not to my clients)... I've been doing the same thing since I was 15.. Now, sure I have large businesses on my shoulders rather than school and home PC's, and I guess it's more complex, but whatever. It's all just playing w/ computers.
(I ran a BBS from home starting about when I was 13 in the late 80's/early 90's, set up networking between a bunch of BBS's in my area for early version of forums and file sharing. Didn't realize until much later, I was working w/ tcp/ip when I was a kid. I guess that's what started this path.)
Ditto on almost all of that.... (except I am 50) ! Who needs a mid-life crisis to have fun....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Am i the oldest CR-Z owner at 66 years? Decided this was the car for me as soon as i saw it so went for it while i am still able to get in and out.
No, my dad is 79 and bought one. I showed my parents pictures of the car and the next thing I know they buy it. After test driving theirs I had to go get my own.

As far as mid life crisis car? No that would bet a vette or Lambo not a Honda. although, I am almost 43 and enjoy cranking up Slayer in my blacked out Z :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never run a BBS, but do like to say I have a BS in BS!!! :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Others think so.

I picked up one in the Milano Red for my 53rd birthday and so everyone assumes it is my mid-life crisis.

But, I have been looking at hybrids for quite some time and had narrowed my selection down to the Prius or Insight until my 7 yr old grandson saw the CR-Z.

I was skeptical up until the test drive, then it was an easy decision. He also picked out the color, he's a big Lightning McQueen fan. He tells everyone this is our church car and the women of the house can only use it with his permission.

So we are both satisfied and I now have an economical fun car to drive to work everyday.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I picked up one in the Milano Red for my 53rd birthday and so everyone assumes it is my mid-life crisis.

But, I have been looking at hybrids for quite some time and had narrowed my selection down to the Prius or Insight until my 7 yr old grandson saw the CR-Z.

I was skeptical up until the test drive, then it was an easy decision. He also picked out the color, he's a big Lightning McQueen fan. He tells everyone this is our church car and the women of the house can only use it with his permission.

So we are both satisfied and I now have an economical fun car to drive to work everyday.
Cool... welcome! Sounds like you (HE) made a good choice! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.