Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on folks' comments, I ordered some essential Adams car care products. They arrived yesterday and I excitedly figured I'd use them this weekend. Now my hubbie says the crz is too new - the paint is too new - and I'll ruin it if I put wax on it now. (Picked up 10/29). It needs to cure or something. Is he right on or is he thinking of the paint GM used back in 1972 or something? Thanks!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Clayed and wax mine the first week i got it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have owned 13 brand new cars and each one has received a wax job within the first week of ownership. Never had a single paint issue on ANY of my cars.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Absolutely not. The dealership does one hell of a job w/ PDI. J/K :rotfl:

Go ahead and wash, clay, polish and wax. The rags should slide off the hood.

Do it in the shade! It's hard to get sun dried wax off the car.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Absolutely not. The dealership does one hell of a job w/ PDI. J/K :rotfl:
Poor me. I want to get the funny, but I'm ignorant of "PDI. J/K" Please 'splain for me? Tks again for your patience, Shat. :eek:
Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).. and Shatner is being sarcastic about how "good" the dealers do the PDI. Most of us would rather the dealer DIDN'T do PDI's on our vehicles. Usually they check out the car, wash it and wax it.. etc... but usually do a very poor job... usually the lowest paid kid on the lot will do most of it.

The J/K is a normal online way to say "I'm Joking!"

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).. and Shatner is being sarcastic about how "good" the dealers do the PDI. Most of us would rather the dealer DIDN'T do PDI's on our vehicles. Usually they check out the car, wash it and wax it.. etc... but usually do a very poor job... usually the lowest paid kid on the lot will do most of it.

Exactly. When I went to purchase I requested that they not wash it nor try to clean it in any way. They gave me a weird look, I brushed it off and said " oh, also please remove the dealer emblem". :)

As soon as I got it home I washed it (w/ dish soap-it strips wax), clayed it, polished and waxed it. They could never make it look as good as I did. NEVER! I got the car 2.5 months ago and all it needs now are washes and it looks almost as good as it did the day I got it. It'll need another wax in a month or so.

Yep.. pretty bad when a old geezer beats ya! :rolleyes:
:eek:hsnap: :lol: Good one!

·
Registered
666 Posts

I had wondered about this... I picked up my Z today and it looked decent in the dealership parking lot. Then again, it was 30 degrees out and my fingers were going numb, so I really just wanted to get out of there.

Once I got it into my garage and started looking it over with a work light, I noticed first of all that the cleaning/waxing job was very poor. There were many areas where I had to wipe the residue off. But what bothered me the most, with it being a black car, were the swirl marks in the clear coat. They are only noticable when looking closely with a light, but the entire car already looks like it had been taken through a brush car wash. Is this normal? :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some times the people doing the job on your car have maybe little experience, and may drop the applicators and clothes, which could cause micro scratches from the dirt it collects. The best thing to do if you don't know how to wax your car is to take the car to a Business that is nothing but detailing. Then as time goes by learn how to do it through videos / diy / etc vs attempting to do it for the first time and making a botch job on your car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will go ahead and give mine a coat of turtle wax to see if that helps take out the swirls. I thought it might take more than wax, like a buff and polish to fix them. I hope not!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I had wondered about this... I picked up my Z today and it looked decent in the dealership parking lot. Then again, it was 30 degrees out and my fingers were going numb, so I really just wanted to get out of there.

Once I got it into my garage and started looking it over with a work light, I noticed first of all that the cleaning/waxing job was very poor. There were many areas where I had to wipe the residue off. But what bothered me the most, with it being a black car, were the swirl marks in the clear coat. They are only noticable when looking closely with a light, but the entire car already looks like it had been taken through a brush car wash. Is this normal? :(
BINGO!!! I have a black CR-Z, also. I'll be damned if they try to wash it, because:

Some times the people doing the job on your car have maybe little experience, and may drop the applicators and clothes, which could cause micro scratches from the dirt it collects. The best thing to do if you don't know how to wax your car is to take the car to a Business that is nothing but detailing. Then as time goes by learn how to do it through videos / diy / etc vs attempting to do it for the first time and making a botch job on your car.
The bold is SO true. If you drop an applicator, rag, clay, anything that's going to touch and rub your paint, toss it out!

I will go ahead and give mine a coat of turtle wax to see if that helps take out the swirls. I thought it might take more than wax, like a buff and polish to fix them. I hope not!
turtle wax is the lower end of waxes. I'd go with Adam's, Mother's or Meguire's. Even the NexGen stuff is better than Turtle wax.

Pick up a Meguire's or Mothers Clay bar kit also. DO NOT! let the clay touch the ground. Use this after you wash w/ dish soap-dish soap strips wax. If you still need to buff it, a nice polishing compound does a hell of a lot more than you'd think it would. If you were closer I'd let you borrow my orbital. Shoot, I'd probably give you a lesson if you needed it.

This is a very good auto detailing forum that I learned the advanced stuff from. They are the most meticulous people. Most are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, MB and high end BMW like M division.
http://www.autopia.org/

They'll get you sorted.

·
Registered
666 Posts
turtle wax is the lower end of waxes. I'd go with Adam's, Mother's or Meguire's. Even the NexGen stuff is better than Turtle wax.

Pick up a Meguire's or Mothers Clay bar kit also. DO NOT! let the clay touch the ground. Use this after you wash w/ dish soap-dish soap strips wax. If you still need to buff it, a nice polishing compound does a hell of a lot more than you'd think it would. If you were closer I'd let you borrow my orbital. Shoot, I'd probably give you a lesson if you needed it.

This is a very good auto detailing forum that I learned the advanced stuff from. They are the most meticulous people. Most are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, MB and high end BMW like M division.
http://www.autopia.org/

They'll get you sorted.

Thanks for the tips! I have just always used turtle wax, but I will stop and pick up some better products tomorrow.

Other than waxing, I think I'd be too afraid to try anything else yet for fear of doing it wrong and screwing up my new paint, haha. I haven't tried using clay, buffing or polishing before. I will read up on it a bit.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I have just always used turtle wax, but I will stop and pick up some better products tomorrow.

Other than waxing, I think I'd be too afraid to try anything else yet for fear of doing it wrong and screwing up my new paint, haha. I haven't tried using clay, buffing or polishing before. I will read up on it a bit.

Thanks again
Cant go wrong with Clay... it is actually pretty easy. My GF did her Toyota with no problems... just following the instructions. It will take off any crap, and even polish a little. Well worth while! There are different grades of the clay you can get, and some are more aggressive than others. The stuff (Mothers, Meguairs) you can get through normal channels is not very abrasive... almost impossible to damage paint with them. They will clean off any crap on the paint though. Just DONT drop the clay on the ground.. if you do, throw it away!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.