Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got a blue CRZ-EX CVT (no navi) on New Years Eve.

Since then I've been trying to make sure everything is functioning properly. I don't have a lot of experience with sports cars, and I'm coming from a 1996 Civic with 200k miles on it.

I feel like the CVT transmission isn't engaging as smoothly as it should be at low speeds. Particularly in cold mornings, while pulling out of my parking lot at between 10 and 15mph, it jumps or lurches as I accelerate slowly. It feels kind of like when someone has a manual transmission and they aren't engaging the clutch just right at low speeds. My Civic accelerated more smoothly.

I'm probably paranoid because I've been babying my ancient Civic, but I just wanted to see if other folks felt this was normal.

The other night, I was slowing down when coming off of an exit ramp and the engine auto-shut off. I had to hit the accelerator again, and the thing engaged in a really harsh manner with a really loud thunk. This makes me more suspicious that something isn't working quite right.

Another question: with the little sunglasses compartment on the top of the dash, is the lid supposed to just immediately droop down when you let go of it?

Anyway, I really appreciate it if anyone has some experience with these to share.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Another question: with the little sunglasses compartment on the top of the dash, is the lid supposed to just immediately droop down when you let go of it?
mine does. I dont have any complaints about that.

Honestly, i cant answer much since you have CVT (not my cup of tea) and i have 6 speed. But i will tell you that driving the CRZ isnt like driving any other car, or even a honda or a civic for that matter. You have been driving the car for what? 2 weeks? It took me about that to get fully in sync with the car so that it wont auto shut off right when i need the engine on, or so that im in the perfect gear to cruise through a light or something, and blindspots really change your driving paradigms.

i think for CVT it may take longer to get used to driving smooth because the car wants to do what its programmed, and you have no control over that other than to make sure that you can anticipate it and keep the ride smooth.

I find a lot of people complain about what you are talking about, perhaps some searching could help a little more? (more cvt owners posting more info)

either way 6 speed FTW since i have way more control over the car rather than it thinking for itself completly in CVT.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Mine has made a noise like you described once when it was cold and the car had gone into Auto Stop while I was still rolling. I switched from brake to gas while still moving and got the "THUNK" of the re-engaging while the car was still moving. Hasn't done it since or before, but I try to pay attention to it if I find myself on the same situation since I go through that intersection every time I leave my neighborhood. Uncontrolled intersections can be scary now for more reasons than one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey everyone, I got a blue CRZ-EX CVT (no navi) on New Years Eve.

Since then I've been trying to make sure everything is functioning properly. I don't have a lot of experience with sports cars, and I'm coming from a 1996 Civic with 200k miles on it.

I feel like the CVT transmission isn't engaging as smoothly as it should be at low speeds. Particularly in cold mornings, while pulling out of my parking lot at between 10 and 15mph, it jumps or lurches as I accelerate slowly. It feels kind of like when someone has a manual transmission and they aren't engaging the clutch just right at low speeds. My Civic accelerated more smoothly.

I'm probably paranoid because I've been babying my ancient Civic, but I just wanted to see if other folks felt this was normal.

The other night, I was slowing down when coming off of an exit ramp and the engine auto-shut off. I had to hit the accelerator again, and the thing engaged in a really harsh manner with a really loud thunk. This makes me more suspicious that something isn't working quite right.

Anyway, I really appreciate it if anyone has some experience with these to share.

Thanks,
Ben

The cold morning and Auto Stop issues you mention I experience on an almost daily basis. I've basically gotten used to it. I give the car a few seconds to adapt. Like if i put it in 'D' or 'R' I wait a few seconds for it to take effect.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Thanks,
Ben

My CVT doesn't like it cold either but seems better now with 5000 miles on it.
I still go easy on it the first few miles. I'm lucky that I only have one stop and slow winding roads before I get into traffic.

But I have never had the auto-stop kick in unless am going less than 4mph. I would have that checked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I test drove an automatic cvt at one dealer that had the lurch taking off at slow speeds, however the one I ended up getting (another dealer also in CVT) does not do that and is smooth. I am wondering if some of the CVT's are not be properly prepped and have some little timing issue that is off.

Yes, the sunglass lid slowly eases itself down.

The engine auto off does have a mind of its own. Depending on what mode it is it, it acts differently. On occasion It turns off at a stop and then in 10-15 seconds turns itself back on for no apparently reason, and that is with the AC off, although the fans are still running. I assume this is normal as the system deems it necessary to run the fans at times... I have not had the auto stop function activate above 1-2 miles per hour, however.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My CVT does the same thing when cold.
Seems to engage, then disengage (like nuetral) then engages again.
It's fine by the time I get down my drive otherwise I just take it easy until warm.
I think it would stay engaged if spirited acceleration was on going.

As for the auto shut down, it will restart when you release the brake.
I generally release the brake and watch the tach.
It will jump above 1k then settle and then I accelerate.

You can easily avoid shutdown at stop signs etc by turning on the defrost.
I just adjust the fan down to 1 bar so it isn't as obtrusive.

Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Again, this lurching is not normal behavior. As I mentioned the unit I test drove had a marked lurch off the start, while the CR-Z I ended up purchasing does not exhibit this behavior, cold or otherwise. This tells me that some of the Z's are have some issue, perhaps something was missed while they were checked in. If it were me I would have yours in to Honda right away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
But i will tell you that driving the CRZ isnt like driving any other car, or even a honda or a civic for that matter. You have been driving the car for what? 2 weeks? It took me about that to get fully in sync with the car so that it wont auto shut off right when i need the engine on, or so that im in the perfect gear to cruise through a light or something, and blindspots really change your driving paradigms.
TinTin is absolutely right. The CRZ is a different kind of car (I mean that in an awesome way!) and you kind of have to learn a different way to drive. It takes a few weeks. And I think that's one reason reviewers tend to moan about what is really an excellent car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Again, this lurching is not normal behavior. As I mentioned the unit I test drove had a marked lurch off the start, while the CR-Z I ended up purchasing does not exhibit this behavior, cold or otherwise. This tells me that some of the Z's are have some issue, perhaps something was missed while they were checked in. If it were me I would have yours in to Honda right away.
Hey Free Man, what is the climate like where you live? I suspect that this issue is worst when it is below freezing.

Ugh... off topic but... a bird added a decoration to my car right across where the windshield meets the seal at the top, I left it for a bit, just got around to cleaning it, and now the seal is slightly separated and distorted. Not huge, but sheesh.

Then we had an ice storm last night. When I got home from work, I noticed that a seal that goes between the windshield and hood of the car is sticking out like it isn't seated completely, only on the passenger side.

At this rate, I fully expect the car to fall apart by July! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I do live in a warm climate, however we have had 6 sub freezing days so far this winter like most everyone else!

And as I stated, climate aside, on a warm day I test drove a CVT unit and it was very lurchy off the starts, while mine has never exhibited that so that is why I don't believe it to be weather related...The first Z felt like a bad clutch off the start, like it was engaged improperly or let out too fast which I believe is exactly what the OP is speaking of. I can confirm that the Z I bought has never done this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Followup:
I called the dealer and he said he'd check with the shop to see if there have been any software updates released.

He asked me to confirm whether the symptoms go away once the car has been driving for a bit, and also asked me if the symptoms persist when the car is in "sport" mode.

I have found that it is definitely not as rough after the car has been driven for a while, but it is harder to test as the engine shuts off when I slow down too much.

I have also found that in sport mode it is much more "lurchy." This might be what someone would call "responsive", but in sports mode in the 0-10mph range, as soon as I let off on the gas, the car decelerates rapidly as if I am braking hard instead of coasting.

I'm going to report this to the dealer, I'll post what I hear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It does not matter what mode it is in, I used normal for quite a while with none of those symptoms and now am using forcing it to econ and still not experiencing these symptoms. I'll try sport mode as I only use that occasionally, but again on the first car I test drove I was using normal to begin with and definitely experiencing the lurches...so that would seem to rule that out. The unit I bought does not experience this "feature" at all thus far, but let me test the sport mode out today when I go out and I'll post back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine is definately a cold start issue.
Seems slow to engage initially so I idle till it catches, (several seconds I'm guessing)then it feels like it shifts to neutral after I first start moving.
It was 40 degrees after work the last 2 days and she engaged quicker than the previous single digit days.
Once driven a bit she performs flawlessly.
I'll be very interested to hear what your dealer has to say before I bring mine in.
Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just tested things out with sport mode and again no noticeable difference. It is definitely something that a number of cars, but not all cars have an issue with.

Ammocj we are not talking about a little sluggishness or uneasiness here, this is a full on lurchiness, you seem to be almost describing something quite a bit less severe. Some cars have it, some do not. I have only driven two, mine and the one I test drove which was also an EX CVT Z, but I can tell you that the difference is night and day between the test driven unit and mine upon taking delivery.

And while cold weather can affect all cars until they are warmed up, I am leaning towards the possibility that something was not calibrated during the pre-delivery tdi process on certain cars or dealers who simply have not received a lot of the new Z's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel like the CVT transmission isn't engaging as smoothly as it should be at low speeds. Particularly in cold mornings, while pulling out of my parking lot at between 10 and 15mph, it jumps or lurches as I accelerate slowly. It feels kind of like when someone has a manual transmission and they aren't engaging the clutch just right at low speeds.
I dunno, :dunno:
my problem sounds exactly like Slate's to me except I would describe it as feeling more like it is slipping in and out of gear. I generally only notice it after work as I idle across the parking lot. I would have to imagine this would feel like lurching if I was accellerating. When I leave the house its down hill for about 200' and she works fine by the time I get on the throttle.

This morning I moved her out of the garage and it took 9 seconds to engage reverse.
I have noticed it seems to take less time to engage in normal than in Eco mode.

I'm wondering if the Civic CVTs have similar issues. I doubt they made a different CVT transmission just for the CRZ.

Al

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the responses, I really appreciate it.

Hey Free Man, what is the climate like where you live? I suspect that this issue is worst when it is below freezing.

Ugh... off topic but... a bird added a decoration to my car right across where the windshield meets the seal at the top, I left it for a bit, just got around to cleaning it, and now the seal is slightly separated and distorted. Not huge, but sheesh.

Then we had an ice storm last night. When I got home from work, I noticed that a seal that goes between the windshield and hood of the car is sticking out like it isn't seated completely, only on the passenger side.

At this rate, I fully expect the car to fall apart by July! :rolleyes:
Sorry that you feel that your car is falling apart. I've been there. Might want to look at your states lemon law if you've had the problem more than once.

The bolded section: Do you get the noise that a lot of people have experienced at a certain MPH, around 65-70?

I have felt the lurch only a couple of times. I really think it's caused by cold. I don't see it as a problem.

Whoever is saying it's a problem, I suggest that you learn about how a CVT transmission works.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mine also has tough shifts when I am first driving when it is cold, it will rev high even while shifting. I have noticed when the vehicle is warm it will stop and shifting becomes smooth.

Big Hurt
Wow, mine doesn't do that. HMmmmm. Revs high? How high?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.