Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am. In my STi, I could get a Turbo back, high-flo cat for the same price that the honda tuners are charging for an axle back, maybe a midpipe. Honda's not a premier car, it's a cheap, entry level auto, imo.

Why is everything so damn expensive? R&D don't take mcuh in intakes and exhuast. What gives? It's not like you have to watch for boost creep or a stuck wastegates. What gives? :confused:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I agree, but everything was also expensive with my Accord as compared to my Mustang. I believe it's because of the limited number of buyers for parts.

Example, my CAI for my Mustang was $190. My CAI for my Accord was close to $400 (AEM). I went with AEM since it was the only one that didn't cause CEL, but the other intakes that later came out were still close to $300. More people owned Mustangs than Accords when they first came out, and over the life of the car in general, so I'd guess it's a demand function. Sucks either way.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Not at all. I'm hoping to get a short ram for this car, but I expect they will still be kinda pricey. The HKS suction is what like $400? I'm gonna monitor the second hand market for parts for this car. Also, why can't Honda make a damn HFP suspension kit for this car?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I can't wait to see how yours turns out. I'd love a center exit setup personally, but I'd also want it to flow with the bumper somehow.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gee! I love this kinda talk! :popcorn:
Why's that? It was a simple question.

Are you guys really ok with spending damn near 700 for an axleback? I'm ok w/ intake pricing, I guess. But not w/ exhaust pricing. I may make one out of glass, not kidding.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Why's that? It was a simple question.

Are you guys really ok with spending damn near 700 for an axleback? I'm ok w/ intake pricing, I guess. But not w/ exhaust pricing. I may make one out of glass, not kidding.
That'd be a serious glass pack lol

I'm not OK with axelback pricing or intake pricing. I think AB should be in the $250-$500 range and intake should be in the $175-$250 range. I suppose this is all the "import" tax.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gee! I love this kinda talk! :popcorn:
That'd be a serious glass pack lol

I'm not OK with axelback pricing or intake pricing. I think AB should be in the $250-$500 range and intake should be in the $175-$250 range. I suppose this is all the "import" tax.
I don't believe it's 'import tax'. I remeber when a badass header back exhaust for a B-Series Honda was ~the same price as these axlebacks. It's pissing me off.

When I mean glass, I mean all the piping. I'll figure out a regular, metal resonator/muffler set up. I can make a flange, no problem.

And Borosilicate is able to handle the heat cycles. It'd be a pretty cool setup.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I don't believe it's 'import tax'. I remeber when a badass header back exhaust for a B-Series Honda was ~the same price as these axlebacks. It's pissing me off.

When I mean glass, I mean all the piping. I'll figure out a regular, metal resonator/muffler set up. I can make a flange, no problem.

And Borosilicate is able to handle the heat cycles. It'd be a pretty cool setup.
and it won't shatter?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lots of replicas now.. thus cheap prices. JDM companies are loosing hopes cause of these replicas. Exchange rate is pretty high right now... YEN is strong. Parts are expensive.. especially shipping from Japan or what not.

·
Registered
674 Posts
New car, plus it looks like the only source so far is "built in Japan", so it will take a while for the locals to pick up. The car is also not mainstream like a Civic or a Mustang. It will be close to a year before bolt-on prices get reasonable.

I personally don't care - don't see a reason to make CR-Z go faster or make it louder. Best improvement you can make to your car is to get some track / autox time yourself - as long as your times are improving - who cares how fast the car goes?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i agree these parts are expensive. for the most part they are all more expensive than parts for the TSX i had before. Not many owners modded them compared to overall sales of the car so there wasnt a huge market there either. Im hoping prices go down

Exhausts and coilovers are the worst offenders IMO. I had the hytech exhaust for my TSX which was a system used on the realtime racing tsx's and had to be custom made - that was "only" 900 or 1k when i got it. Also Tein coilovers and an EDFC for the TSX were around 1800 and a set of coilovers alone for this car are 1650. Somethings not right.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Like anything, price is a function of supply and demand. But one of the big factors affecting price of parts for the CRZ is that it is such a small market. So suppliers with the ability to make larger quantities, and therefore use the efficiencies of scale, to bring down prices are not really going to be interested in the tiny market for the CRZ.

Right now, there are only about 4000 CRZs on the road in the US, and in a year that number still won't be more than 20,000. Compare that to a hundred times that number of Mustangs, Civics or better yet small block chevys.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tuners have learned people with imports will pay more than domestic owners. G35/G37/Z owners won't baulk at pricey parts. Meanwhile Corvette owners would boycott you out of existance if you tried to rape them on parts.

Just my 2 cents. High prices for import aftermarket is because in general the mass public is willing to pay more.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.