Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 months ago, I had my 2013 CR-Z serviced with new spark plugs and a valve adjustment at a Honda dealership. It has 100,000 miles on it. A few days ago, my personal mechanic told me that, "CR-Z do NOT require valve adjustments."
I feel the dealership has ripped me off after hearing this from my mechanic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your mechanic is wrong. They are manually adjusted and need to be as per the service manual. Mileage somewhere around 60k to check iirc.

My best friend, who is VW trained, looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was doing mine and asked "aren't they hydraulic they don't need adjustment".

Even though he hasn't worked on a Honda and isn't trained on them, he assumed they were hydraulic because what he works on are.

*Edit, the reply before mine is proof of assumptions people make, " every car need adjustment" , some have hydraulic tappets that self adjust.

Crz is manual adjustment, your dealer did not rip you off.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
In the service history book it lists the minder codes and one of them 4 says to check clearance when spark plugs are changed with car cold . Your dealer did as specified unless car was not cold. At the bottom is a note to adjust valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy. This would indicate to me that they are adjustable , are to be checked and adjusted and Honda wants them adjusted. Page attached is scanned from a 2013 service history book.

If your mechanic told you that he is not familiar with CR-Zs and you may want to consider finding another mechanic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
206 Posts
Your mechanic is wrong. They are manually adjusted and need to be as per the service manual. Mileage somewhere around 60k to check iirc.

My best friend, who is VW trained, looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was doing mine and asked "aren't they hydraulic they don't need adjustment".

Even though he hasn't worked on a Honda and isn't trained on them, he assumed they were hydraulic because what he works on are.

*Edit, the reply before mine is proof of assumptions people make, " every car need adjustment" , some have hydraulic tappets that self adjust.

I didn't know that the hydraulic lifters exists, never seen it.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
206 Posts
They do, just not on a CR-Z. Hydraulic Valve lifters have been used for decades( since 1930). I see them mentioned all the time on the car shows shown on the weekends.

Well, every car I owned had normal lifters, so I never realy considered different type. All I've seen was either adjustable valves like in CRZ or with shims under the metal caps, that you change shim with different thickness to adjust.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
According to the quick search I did used to be common from 1930 till 1980s when companies for cost reasons and others started going back to the adjustable ones.

Normal (common) changes over time so not abnormal just different technology is used at different times or at the same time.

Well, every car I owned had normal lifters, so I never realy considered different type. All I've seen was either adjustable valves like in CRZ or with shims under the metal caps, that you change shim with different thickness to adjust.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mostly euro stuff and toyota to be fair
Toyota is one company that has also used shims on its valves which makes adjusting a royal pain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Toyota is one company that has also used shims on its valves which makes adjusting a royal pain.
Up until recently, now they've moved to those annoying hydraulic adjusters that sit in the head and act as a pivot point for the rocker arm, fall out at high rpm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I feel better now. By the way, I used to own a 72' beetle and it too needed valve adjustments.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I feel better now. By the way, I used to own a 72' beetle and it too needed valve adjustments.
Very same adjustment on the z. The principle of Vtec is designed around the use of rocker arms so it is the same adjustment process as your old bug, albeit with cam operated rockers rather than pushrod. Old meets new kinda thing I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts