Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my iPhone with different cars ever since the first iPhone gen came out - went through all of them, too, currently on an AT&T iPhone 4. All of the phones and all of the cars with iPod integration had the same annoying issue:

More often than not, the phone (or the car) would forget last song played and start from the first song in the first album of the first artist. It can get very annoying if you were on hour 4 of a 10-hour book and now have to find the exact spot where you left off.

Since it's not happening every time I put the phone in the car cradle, I assume it's a glitch; I still can't figure out what causes it (connecting to other devices, syncing with the PC, etc. does not necessarily result in a loss of current track/position).

It was happening in my '09 MINI, and in my '08 BMW, and it's now happening just as often in the CR-Z. Apparently nobody is using the integration as much as I do or doesn't care about resuming from the last song/track/book position played, or all my cars and phones are cursed since I can't find any references to this problem in my searches.

Thus, the question - anyone else is troubled by this and is looking for a solution?

· Registered
1,390 Posts
this isnt the radio's fault. This is the iphones fault.

The iphone constantly has the ipod app running in the background. But when your phone is pressed for memory it will kill hte ipod app, thus forgetting where you left off.

If you reset your phone you also reset the ipod app and its off until you turn it on by plugging it into the car or turning it on yourself.

The radio doesnt have enough smart to remember on its own. Or it would be remembering all sorts of things.

Like if you have a friend in the car who plugged in his ipod once, it would remember that, on top of your phone, and maybe the USB you have, and maybe another family ipod.

I think thats more of a computer thing with memory and stuff.

Beyond remembering your favorite stations, sound settings and other little things. i dount its the radio's fault that its not remembering where you left off.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the same glitch was identical in the BMW-sourced iPod/iPhone integration, so it's pretty much obvious that the phone is at fault - the question is - are there workarounds or are we stuck waiting for Jobs to fix it?

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never I have a jailbroken 3GS that I use for out-of-country trips, but my i4 is pristine on 4.2.1 and all of the issues I've been having were all with unmolested phones. I do use the crap out of them, though - everything from GPS to Google Docs to heavy business email/calendar/contacts use for 2 jobs, so the memory theory might have some validity with iPod app getting squeezed out and losing last play position. I'll use one of my old unmolested 3GS phones for a week running nothing but iPod and only charging it from the wall brick (to avoid iTunes interference) and see if that helps.

· Registered
2,560 Posts
i have a JB iPod Touch and it remembers where i was when i trun the car off and when i turn the car back on it starts playing from where it left off.

if you reboot the phone though, your current song resets so i dunno if that's what you are doing?

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it heavily depends on what and how much you use the iPhone / iTouch for. It's it's 90% iPod duties - you'll be fine. If you have 30 apps running and have an remote desktop session open at least once a day and WebEx and Concur and a ton of other funky stuff - there is a good chance it will reset.

We'll see what my experience with a dedicated iPhone will bring.

· Registered
807 Posts
That would explain it. My device is an old iPhone 3GS that is one of my many coding test devices. I just leave it in the car all the time and never remove it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.