Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish the steering controls could pause the iPod, doesn't seem to be anyway short of turning off the radio. A word of warning, leaving the iPod in the car during hot or cold days will kill the battery in the iPod permanently.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Buy the least expensive iPod that's large enough to store your music library and just leave it in the car all the time. It doesn't matter if it's battery dies... consider it part of the car.

A previous gen iPod is great for this sort of thing, just make sure it's modern enough for the USB interface.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What all can you control? My Android (T-Mo MyTouch slide 3G) can't be controlled by the car at all. I have to use the android, and I hate having to do that.

And where can I get an IPod for cheap(!) that will work with the car's interface (navi)? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ipod

funny that this thread should start up. I have been vehemently :angry: Anti-IPOD and Itunes for years... but just today, I purchased a Touch. Apple has made some improvements to Itunes so I can finally live with it.

But the main reason I finally broke down and bought an IPOD is because I bought a CRZ.... go figure... :blush:

I would love to hear about everyone's experiences using the Ipod's in the Z! What do you like... what don't you like?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well my first experience wasn't good. It seemed to default to some odd playlist mode with 6 selections, like many of the first generation low tech iPod controlling head units.

It took a few minutes to figure it out, but if you press the center select button on the non-navi radio, you can then rotate it to see various modes (playlist, artist, album, song, etc,). Press it again to select and rotate to drill down. In this case it removes the initial 6 selection limitation.

I'd like to know if there's a quicker way to drill down to song titles that are in the lower portion of the alphabet. I used to do this on the Mini by setting up Genres based upon alphabetizing the song titles, but I don't think the CRZ headunit supports Genres.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well my first experience wasn't good. It seemed to default to some odd playlist mode with 6 selections, like many of the first generation low tech iPod controlling head units.

It took a few minutes to figure it out, but if you press the center select button on the non-navi radio, you can then rotate it to see various modes (playlist, artist, album, song, etc,). Press it again to select and rotate to drill down. In this case it removes the initial 6 selection limitation.

I'd like to know if there's a quicker way to drill down to song titles that are in the lower portion of the alphabet. I used to do this on the Mini by setting up Genres based upon alphabetizing the song titles, but I don't think the CRZ headunit supports Genres.
Playlists? Maybe?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Playlists? Maybe?
Certainly. But I also use smart playlists for...

podcasts > 30 min (for long trips)
podcasts < 30 min (for shorter trips where I want to hear a variety)
CR-Z (yup, I have a smart list just for podcasts that mention CR-Z in the description ;) )

·
Registered
618 Posts
And where can I get an IPod for cheap(!) that will work with the car's interface (navi)? Thanks!
I'd recommend going with the previous generation iPods. Such as a 4th generation iPod Nano. No hard drive to worry about heat/cold cycling. And it's available in 8 or 16 GB capacities.

If you're going to leave it in the car in the usb compartment, you don't need a new iPod that has the fancy interface display or a camera.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know if there's some huge difference with an ipod in the way it controls or something...but why not just get a USB flash drive? I had an old 4gb one that I loaded my music on and stuck it up in that pocket and it works great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there a way to turn off the controls so I can control the music from the iPod itself? I use the iPhone but I use rhapsody to listen to my music. When I had my solstice with a pioneer aftermarket head unit, I could choose to either control music from the unit or from the iPhone itself.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have been using a 32gb flash drive so far and it works great... setup up various folders... (i.e. Rock, Easy, Pop, etc..) and then copied music into the folders, with Artist, album, track and title as the filenames. This allows me to select any folder and play it.. or I can use the track list to find artists, albums or songs. But it is slow.. and no playlists.

I have also been using my Zune... with just the audio input... and that works well. But I wanted something with full capability (playlists, smart playlists, DJ, etc...) that I could control from the steering wheel controls, or headunit (I have Navi). I also have a LOT of music I like to keep with me.. and hey, new toys are always nice... especially if they work with my BIG new toy!

I thought about building an SSD hard drive for this use, but the lack of organization, search and playlists killed that idea. So I will soon be an Ipod Touch owner... on backorder right now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd recommend going with the previous generation iPods. Such as a 4th generation iPod Nano. No hard drive to worry about heat/cold cycling. And it's available in 8 or 16 GB capacities.

If you're going to leave it in the car in the usb compartment, you don't need a new iPod that has the fancy interface display or a camera.
I probably will leave it in the car. Is the Nano the one with out a screen? Sorry, I'm IAnything retarded.:blush:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I probably will leave it in the car. Is the Nano the one with out a screen? Sorry, I'm IAnything retarded.:blush:
It has a screen but I think it's only way to get up to 16GB capacity with a small Apple branded, flash RAM based player.

If you have less capacity then you may have more options.

And certainly if you don't have any AAC encoded files from iTunes, and have a lot of wma format files, you might be better off price wise with a flash drive or generic MP3 player.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nano has a tiny screen. ishuffle has no screen but it also lacks a usb port so I doubt it would be of any use in the CR-Z.
No Apple device has a native USB port, they all use an Apple-connector to USB cable, or in the case of the shuffle a mini-jack to usb cable. (looking at the new ones just released).

*edit* sorry talking out of my arse, apparently the older shuffles look like USB pen drives so have the USB connector built-in

I'm very interested in exactly what differences there are in using an iPod over a USB pen drive as I will be buying one to leave in the car (while my iPhone 4 will be powered by the 12v adaptor when using it for GPS).

From a quick look around, it seems the 4th Gen Nano 16GB might be a good option, since it holds the full iPod database for quick navigation.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nano has a tiny screen. ishuffle has no screen but it also lacks a usb port so I doubt it would be of any use in the CR-Z.
Thanks.

I would go with the iPod Classic...More space=More songs.

You don't need any crazy features anyway.

I have an old 30 gig iPod video that I had in my old car for 5 years...and now it's in my CR-Z :)
Thank you, too.

It has a screen but I think it's only way to get up to 16GB capacity with a small Apple branded, flash RAM based player.

If you have less capacity then you may have more options.

And certainly if you don't have any AAC encoded files from iTunes, and have a lot of wma format files, you might be better off price wise with a flash drive or generic MP3 player.
And, why thank you, also.

Ebay or Wal Mart. I even think you can get "reconditioned ones".
You're cool in my book.

Thanks everyone.:hi5:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My truck has iPod control through the nav unit, and I put a stereo in my car which also has ipod control. I was switching back and forth, bought a refurbished unit, and now leave one in car and one in truck. Never unhook them or take them out.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.