Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new to me 2011 CR-Z with 54k miles on the odo. Relatively low.

I'm not looking for any huge performance gains. I'm thinking just throwing on the takeda intake and a catback HKS hi power silent. Not touching the stock cats or header.

Would there be any advantage to running a flashpro basemap? I know I realistically wouldn't see much HP gain but will my useable powerband be smoothed out or see any advantage? Would I feel any difference? Note is I'm not trying to tune to higher octane fuel. I currently use 89 octane. Gas is very pricey where I live and I don't want to use premium fuel since I do delivery jobs as a side hustle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would say yes, an ECU tuner is worth it. Personally I would go with KTuner over Flashpro. I have a Flashpro but it is $300 extra for no extra features and dead-end development. KTuner is still being developed.

You can see the sort of gains I've been getting in my thread. I dropped about 1.5 seconds from my 0-60 times with a Flashpro, exhaust, and using E85 fuel. My Everyday Driver CR-Z - 2011 EX 6MT

Lastly, if you get a ECU tuner you can get a GE8 Fit camshaft for a nice bump. I don't know how much but it feels like 10hp legit. You can't use the cam without tuning the ECU but the cam is dirt cheap.

If you just want the exhaust and intake noise and really don't care about going faster then you don't need the Flashpro.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You don't need a tune with just an intake and a catback.

A tuner is nice to have, but the flashpro is definitely the more reliable unit. The ktuner does have more active support tho, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have K&N typhoon intake no resonator with a dual tip and a ktuner V2 so I’d be interested in the GE8 cam. I work at at shop that has one and every time I pass it, I’m like >:) I really want a whole engine tho.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
This is a very hotly debated topic. Everyone seems to have differing opinion but in general a tune is not needed for an exhaust or an intake at least from all the postings on here going back years that seems to be the conclusion.

In the US our cars do not need 89 octane ( middle grade) it will run and has run perfectly fine on 87 as indicated in the owners manual but this is also highly debated. However as you are not in the US your availability and recommendations maybe different.

I just got my new to me 2011 CR-Z with 54k miles on the odo. Relatively low.

I'm not looking for any huge performance gains. I'm thinking just throwing on the takeda intake and a catback HKS hi power silent. Not touching the stock cats or header.

Would there be any advantage to running a flashpro basemap? I know I realistically wouldn't see much HP gain but will my useable powerband be smoothed out or see any advantage? Would I feel any difference? Note is I'm not trying to tune to higher octane fuel. I currently use 89 octane. Gas is very pricey where I live and I don't want to use premium fuel since I do delivery jobs as a side hustle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a very hotly debated topic. Everyone seems to have differing opinion but in general a tune is not needed for an exhaust or an intake at least from all the postings on here going back years that seems to be the conclusion.

In the US our cars do not need 89 octane ( middle grade) it will run and has run perfectly fine on 87 as indicated in the owners manual but this is also highly debated. However as you are not in the US your availability and recommendations maybe different.
I’m in Vancouver Canada, 2hour drive from Seattle. We aren’t so different on this end. Standard octanes are 87, 89, 91 and in some stations 94.

That said I only do want to use 87 since prices for gas right now are outrageous on the west coast. I would imagine that further limits benefits from a tune.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
I would not know, my car as far as engine etc is bone stock. I am perfectly happy with The Speed Bump as it is (except for the weirdness with the brakes I have discussed before)and did a lot of research before buying it brand new. It does everything I want it to do and gets much better MPG than the car it replaced. I am however according to many here an anomaly and not really an enthusiast according to all the grief many have given me.

I love the car and for 90% of my needs it fits them.

Whether there are actual improvements from a tune and or what changes need a tune (other than alternative fuels) is not definitive and as I said hotly debated. Want to start a debate, discuss tuning or oil brands/frequency of changes!

My plan for The Speed Bump is to drive it till it costs more to repair than to replace it with I have no Idea what.

Whether any change is worth it, is a very personal decision based on the best information you can find from real authoritative sources not just the "butt dyno" and feelings.

Do what makes you happy and your budget and time allows.

I’m in Vancouver Canada, 2hour drive from Seattle. We aren’t so different on this end. Standard octanes are 87, 89, 91 and in some stations 94.

That said I only do want to use 87 since prices for gas right now are outrageous on the west coast. I would imagine that further limits benefits from a tune.

·
Registered
202 Posts
@Zenith that is precisely why I run E85! Regular gas cost but premium gas HP. No brainer for me. But E85 is very plentiful in my area. It is a godsend for my turbo car.

I would not know, my car as far as engine etc is bone stock. I am perfectly happy with The Speed Bump as it is (except for the weirdness with the brakes I have discussed before)and did a lot of research before buying it brand new. It does everything I want it to do and gets much better MPG than the car it replaced. I am however according to many here an anomaly and not really an enthusiast according to all the grief many have given me.

I love the car and for 90% of my needs it fits them.

Whether there are actual improvements from a tune and or what changes need a tune (other than alternative fuels) is not definitive and as I said hotly debated. Want to start a debate, discuss tuning or oil brands/frequency of changes!

My plan for The Speed Bump is to drive it till it costs more to repair than to replace it with I have no Idea what.

Whether any change is worth it, is a very personal decision based on the best information you can find from real authoritative sources not just the "butt dyno" and feelings.

Do what makes you happy and your budget and time allows.
You are a little off topic this thread is about tuning the car, not keeping it stock.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In an effort to try and drag this thread back on-topic here is a link to my latest post documenting the mods to my car. I've dropped the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times considerably; from 0-60 in 12.96 down to 10.7!

My only mods are catback exhaust and a GE8 Fit cam tuned with Flashpro.

My Everyday Driver CR-Z - 2011 EX 6MT

A tune can make a big difference but it requires a $600 ECU tuner. On the other hand you can spend $600 on an intake and exhaust and go exactly the same speed. So for those reasons a tune is "worth it."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts