Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems getting this car insured? My agent could not give me a price, did not know how to list it, even called the Honda dealer and they had no info, I was told I was covered for 30 days with any new purchase and would just have to wait...........finally after waiting week I recieved my paperwork and they listed it as a Honda Accord E?! They have the VIN number, and this is Nationwide not some fly by night internet insurance company! Any input? :confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make sure you tell them its a hybrid. I would not recomend bragging to your agent about it being a sports car. What ever you do DO NOT volenteer info like the fact that there is no back seat, if they know that it will be higher. Also brag to him/her about how its a "GREEN" car. Try to list it as a pleasure vehicle. With farmers I got full coverage, 300/100/300, 1,200 deductable, pleasure vehicle, PIP no towing, no rental car. $50 and change each month. BTW: I pay for a full year up front so I get an additional 20% off.
In OCT my policy exspires, will be shopping ins as my neighbor is a broker and told me he has companies that offer "HYBRID" discounts, one of them is $200.00 off yearly...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure you tell them its a hybrid. I would not recomend bragging to your agent about it being a sports car. What ever you do DO NOT volenteer info like the fact that there is no back seat, if they know that it will be higher. Also brag to him/her about how its a "GREEN" car. Try to list it as a pleasure vehicle. With farmers I got full coverage, 300/100/300, 1,200 deductable, pleasure vehicle, PIP no towing, no rental car. $50 and change each month. BTW: I pay for a full year up front so I get an additional 20% off.
In OCT my policy exspires, will be shopping ins as my neighbor is a broker and told me he has companies that offer "HYBRID" discounts, one of them is $200.00 off yearly...
Shouldn't even have to think about that since its not a sports car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Allstate had to manually force mine through because the system didn't recognize. Saving about $100 every 6 months from my previous car.

As for calling it a pleasure vehicle...if you are like me and its your only car and you drive it to work,etc. I wouldn't suggest you list it as a pleasure vehicle. If you were to have a big claim and they caught it they could just drop you outright because you gave them false info. If it is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th car then by all means though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Progressive has yet to accurately list my CRZ on my policy. They've added it, so I have proof of insurance to provide my bank, but they haven't given me a firm premium amount.

I just spoke to them again this morning and they've promised it will be ready to go first thing Tuesday. They've been saying this for over a week, so we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've called my agent (Farmers) before taking delivery of the vehicle and he stated my premium would drop like $50 per year. Previous car was 2008 Honda Accord EX. WOW lower premium than an older model vehicle. :thumbup:
He told me all I need is a VIN number does not matter if it's the one I am going to buy or not....as long as it's the same model I will be getting, he could give me pretty accurate estimate.
I've dealt with my agent in this way before and he has always been helpful and accurate about what he quote me. I believe the insurance company use VIN number to pull up vehicle description and all standard safety features to prevent any misconstrued data entry.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
no problems here... except i don't have the CR-Z yet :sadwavey:

Shouldn't even have to think about that since its not a sports car.
:eek:hsnap:
He told me all I need is a VIN number does not matter if it's the one I am going to buy or not....as long as it's the same model I will be getting, he could give me pretty accurate estimate.
I've dealt with my agent in this way before and he has always been helpful and accurate about what he quote me. I believe the insurance company use VIN number to pull up vehicle description and all standard safety features to prevent any misconstrued data entry.
they can give you quotes with just a VIN# exactly as he described... but you really want to make sure it's exactly the same trim that you're getting ie: base or EX (nav might help but i doubt it)... the EX has extra "safety" features like HIDs, VSA on/off button, bluetooth??, etc that help reduce insurance rates...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
they can give you quotes with just a VIN# exactly as he described... but you really want to make sure it's exactly the same trim that you're getting ie: base or EX (nav might help but i doubt it)... the EX has extra "safety" features like HIDs, VSA on/off button, bluetooth??, etc that help reduce insurance rates...
Unless features like that are calculated in advance by underwriting I don't know how much of a difference they add. I work for one Boston based insurer and we do not list features such as HID's, VSA, or car color. I've compared a Fit sport to a Fit sport w/nav & VSA before and there was no difference in premiums.

Not sure if this is true of every company.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i just got my statement and they put CRV ex 2wd (state farm)
lol..gee wiz.
i told them CRZ
plus, i just told them it's a hybrid. so they're gonna call me back later and ill get a new quote.
i tried to tell them its a new model for 2011 and that crz is a completely different car from the crv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Allstate didn't recognize mine either. They finally came back and said they are basing my premium off of the car's safety features and purchase price. My insurance actually went down $200 vs. my Civic Hybrid!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks y'all, that helps! This car being a 2-seater, albeit a hybrid, I wasn't sure if I should push the issue or shut my mouth and be thankful they listed it as an Accord EX (which would probably not be too good if I did get into an accident). Does sound like I need to shop around though!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxAndChristina
LOL.........my agent went on for 5 minutes about how great her CRV was and how happy I would be with mine when I called to add my CRZ.......I had to wait till she stopped to take a breath before I could correct her!
:rotfl:

Mine actually went online to check the vehicle out for himself since I told him it's a newly released. :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by bizzybear
no problems here... except i don't have the CR-Z yet
What's stopping you?:popcorn:

·
Registered
23 Posts
State Farm in Oregon doesn't have the CR-Z in their system yet, so they just ran the numbers based on the features and MSRP. I can't complain as the quote came back lower than I'm currently paying for the 2007 Civic EX that it's replacing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
having the same problem with Auto Club. called friday - didn't have vin in database.
will get back asap - still waiting.

strange, since lockjack had no problems recognizing??

covered for 30 days, so no worry. jeez!!!
later
dan

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
State Farm in Oregon doesn't have the CR-Z in their system yet, so they just ran the numbers based on the features and MSRP. I can't complain as the quote came back lower than I'm currently paying for the 2007 Civic EX that it's replacing.
Ditto.. that is what State Farm did for me, also! Cheaper than my 4Runner was....

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's reassuring that I likely won't see a huge jump in insurance cost once I buy. I know it's not really a sports car but ya never can tell how the insurance company will view it.

I'm waiting for a Storm Silver EX CVT to hit my showroom floor. Already had one but the manager dropped a ton of kit on it to snaz it up that I really don't need.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.