Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking to up my insurance to cover or at least let my insurance company know of my mods so i dont get dropped if they say i didnt disclose everything about the car.

My insurance company (who i wont disclose) says they wont cover anything thats not stock, so it looks like the rims are coming off again... I dont want to get cancelled.

belair direct who says they will cover a modified vehicle up to 5000$ said yup your fine give us an application. Then called me back twice to say oh wait exhaust... then unfortunately we cant cover you.

spoke to a lady at johnson who said talk to this guy we may be able to insure you but not the mods, talk to this guy. The guy said nope no mods.

Im pretty pissed right now. I'm honest im not trying to decieve the insurance companies. I know you have to pay to play. But its pretty stupid that i would have to go to some high risk insurance just to insure my car. I have 1 minor speeding ticket from 2 years ago, no accidents, no cancellations. Ive been licenced for almost 8 years and they still rape me for insurance (right now im about 285 a month for the CRZ).

Anyone out there have any suggestions on places that will insure a modified vehicle without asking for 5k per year?

/rant.

· Registered
249 Posts
Canada does not equal NY
I'm really sure they are being subjected to stricter insurance codes
I don't own a vehicle that is not modded and I have never had an issue
Last time I took out a F'ing Forest Rodent (Deer) the insurance company paid to have almost the entire front of the Titan redone in 3M Clear Bra, as that was on there when I took out the Forest Rodent

Good luck Tin!

· Registered
1,679 Posts
ridiculous. i never had this issue. try geico, and don't even mention the mods. they can't do crap about it anyway.

· Registered
249 Posts
ridiculous. i never had this issue. try geico, and don't even mention the mods. they can't do crap about it anyway.
Ya gots to remember this fact

· Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah ive heard good things from some companies. Im jsut a LITTLE sketched because i bascally told my existing insurance company my entire plans for modding the car (stupid me) and they turned around at the last second and said no.

Now im worried they might stake out my place and cancel me or something. Since i have the rims on it as it is. honestly i dont get it though people put rims on all sorts of cars. Its not always a performance thing. Canada is fail for most things. I just dont want a cancellation on my record so im kinda sketching out.

· Registered
249 Posts
I have seen lots of people posting from Ontario, what are they running into?

· Registered
2,560 Posts
rims are not a Problem last i checked. it's stuff like lowered suspension, or anything done to the engine that they really care about. even my spoiler is fine.

I'm with State Farm btw.

and there is no Geico in Canada :p

· Registered
95 Posts
My insurance company (who i wont disclose) says they wont cover anything thats not stock, so it looks like the rims are coming off again... I dont want to get cancelled.
1. would they terminate your case if knowing your car id mod
or you cancel the insurance because mod parts are not covered?

2. in US, the insurance can roughly be 2 parts, liability and collision/comprehensive.
you are referring to the collision/comprehesive, right?

· Registered
1,217 Posts
I always hear Canadian insurance is a pretty sh*tty ordeal to work this. I assume companies are party state owned?

Aftermarket parts should not be a problem here in the US states. Simply save any sale bills and let your carrier know what you have. The only limit will probably be that coverage may only come at set flat values like $500, $1000, $2000, etc...

2. in US, the insurance can roughly be 2 parts, liability and collision/comprehensive.
you are referring to the collision/comprehesive, right?
Wheels and other upgrades will be covered under the the bold part for repairs to his own vehicle. Although I suppose if it can be proven your "illegal" aftermarket wheels caused a crash your insurance might leave you in the cold with liability coverage. I know that can happen with a home policy - Don't disclose a pool and you could be stuck without coverage if it leaks into the basement of the house next door.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
My insurance company (Allstate) covers ALL mods as long as I have documentation on their cost and installation at a reputiable shop.

· Registered
434 Posts
State Farm use to be the same way I know. When I totaled my RX-7, they covered the car as well as all of the mods, and seeing as the mods were about equal in cost to the car, I was very surprised they covered it all.

· Registered
675 Posts
I can understand the insurance companies as well - there is standard market and non-standard. Standard works with more or less poolable and predictable risks, such as "normal" drivers. Actuarial data is there, it's solid, it's time-tested, so rates are low and uniform. With non-standard market the risks are more in the unknown territory, thus the premium calculation discrepancies. Mods add an enormous amount of unknown and besides being a hazard on their own also indicate that the person is an enthusiast more prone to racing, etc.

Try mentioning to your carrier that you want to do a track day in your perfectly stock vehicle and want to by additional coverage for that day. Results will be very educational.

· Registered
8 Posts
So im looking to up my insurance to cover or at least let my insurance company know of my mods so i dont get dropped if they say i didnt disclose everything about the car.

belair direct who says they will cover a modified vehicle up to 5000$ said yup your fine give us an application. Then called me back twice to say oh wait exhaust... then unfortunately we cant cover you.

spoke to a lady at johnson who said talk to this guy we may be able to insure you but not the mods, talk to this guy. The guy said nope no mods.

Im pretty pissed right now. I'm honest im not trying to decieve the insurance companies. I know you have to pay to play. But its pretty stupid that i would have to go to some high risk insurance just to insure my car. I have 1 minor speeding ticket from 2 years ago, no accidents, no cancellations. Ive been licenced for almost 8 years and they still rape me for insurance (right now im about 285 a month for the CRZ).

Anyone out there have any suggestions on places that will insure a modified vehicle without asking for 5k per year?

/rant.
285 is what a new crz would cost me a month with 5,000 down. Im getting a deal through my parents insurance where I will only have to pay like 150 a month for insurance.. that is, IF i get the crz. Still debating that one..

· Registered
2,560 Posts
just for reference. my old Prelude had an Intake and lowered suspension and was with Belair and they dropped me like 5months later cus they said my car was modded and i didn't tell them. i told them I bought the car like this so i didn't really know (which in a way is true i did buy it like that) but they still dropped me. when i went to insure somewhere else the rate so higher cus i had been dropped by a company.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah scared of that. I'm looking to switch right right now. I honestly want to play by the rules to keep everyone happy.

Also, its also funny belair dropped you. They ask you "has your car been modified in excess of 5000$" lowering and an intake is definitly not more than 5k they shouldnt be dropping you because of that.

However with the planned/listed mods i gave them they still wouldnt insure me.

Im getting a quote from the co operators right now. Apperantly they are a little better with modifications. They were supposed to get back to me today but havent yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.