Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
858 Posts
They can only program new clusters I think. EEPROM can be copied with 25$ in tools and some computer/wiring craftiness.
Or just swap the chip from one cluster to another, some SMD soldering required.
I did just that on my 05 Civic. Thankfully I found all the info online on how to reprogram the EEPROM. It's a much older car so 'hacking' it is much easier. I just had to desolder the EEPROM on the new cluster, connect it to an ancient computer with a serial port, and use a little program to reprogram it. Got the correct mileage on the cluster. Interestingly enough, the maintenance light came on the moment I put the cluster back together, but after resetting it, it never came back on in over 60k miles. Also the airbag light is always on even though there are no issues with the airbags. It is not the same cluster that came witth the car, though, mine had the super basic crappy one with no tach, and the one I installed is from a special edition coupe with nice red accent lighting, so I had to re-pin all the connectors.

Since the CR-Z is much newer, I don't know how easy it would be to do that. I remember reading that the EEPROM was somehow protected to prevent tampering with the odometer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did just that on my 05 Civic. Thankfully I found all the info online on how to reprogram the EEPROM. It's a much older car so 'hacking' it is much easier. I just had to desolder the EEPROM on the new cluster, connect it to an ancient computer with a serial port, and use a little program to reprogram it. Got the correct mileage on the cluster. Interestingly enough, the maintenance light came on the moment I put the cluster back together, but after resetting it, it never came back on in over 60k miles. Also the airbag light is always on even though there are no issues with the airbags. It is not the same cluster that came witth the car, though, mine had the super basic crappy one with no tach, and the one I installed is from a special edition coupe with nice red accent lighting, so I had to re-pin all the connectors.

Since the CR-Z is much newer, I don't know how easy it would be to do that. I remember reading that the EEPROM was somehow protected to prevent tampering with the odometer.
I tampered, it's not protected in any way, reprogrammed the eeprom using a ch341+soic8 clip, no desoldering required. It's still quite an ancient design behind the fanciness.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
858 Posts
Can confirm as I have been playing along with VIV
I tampered, it's not protected in any way, reprogrammed the eeprom using a ch341+soic8 clip, no desoldering required. It's still quite an ancient design behind the fanciness.
Nice, I would've imagined that manufacturers would somehow protect the EEPROM to prevent scummy people from rolling back the odometer. I could've sworn that I read that the EEPROM was protected somehow for this very reason, guess I misremembered or confused it with something else.

The reprogram I did was much lower tech, I just borrowed an ancient Pentium 3 laptop from school, soldered a couple of resistors and cables onto the EEPROM, and jammed the other end of the cables into the serial port of the computer. I found some pics too.
Computer Table Personal computer Laptop Furniture

Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Table

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to change back lighting on cluster from Blue to Red.

Will Test Cluster from ebay needs to be RE programmed to start the car with it? or will it be plug and play?

Reason why I am asking when I was playing with 2010 Outback clusters for back lighting, cluster from different car will lock the car out from Starting completely. It would just blink Key symbol.

I dont want to hack Original cluster before I do some testing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts