Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone guide me in installing some 12inch LED light strips under my dash for my Base CR-Z?

I have the lights but am unsure how to go about hooking them up to a 12volt power source. Im not looking to run them to the battery, prob more then likely tapping into a 12v source. Should i use a switch? or what 12v source should i tap into?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Basically look for the little lights that are under the foot wells. Find the 2 wire connector, cut away the tape that wraps around the wire loom. Peal the wires out so atleast an inch or so is exposed. Cut the wire about an inch back from the connector. Use butt connectors, or better yet just peal back the wire covering and solder 2 new wires in that connect to the LED strips, make sure you match the + - wires. It is not hard. Just wrap the two wires with tape when done, around each one of the. Took me about an hour do do it. You can just remove the stock lights as well if you want, they will be so over powered by the new LED strip you won't need them, that way you just basically cut the connector and wire in the strips directly.

BTW 12in strips are going to be SUPER bright, I have 4in strips and they are almost blinding!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I took out my OEM footwell lights...

And replaced them with MUCH brighter blue LEDs. One directly above the driver's footwell (in that previously unused factory location) and the other in the place of the OEM light over the passenger's footwell. I also drilled a small hole in each door panel underneath the door handles, and inserted another blue LED to illuminate the door pocket (JDM Honda accessory style).

I love the look of the JDM Honda accessory door pocket illumination, but LOATHE the chrome / blue neon speaker rings, and I also LOATHE the JDM price! I did all 4 new blue LEDs (both foot wells and both door pockets) for a toal of like $20.00! $10.00 for LEDs and $10.00 for wiring, connectors, switch and fuse.

I added a switch in the blank dash plug that holds the OEM sunroof switch for those Japanese and Euro bastards that actually GET a sunroof! :p

The new LEDs also shine very nicely on my home-made 1/4" thick plate aluminum dead pedal cover with drilled & countersunk holes and rubber grommets snapped into them, so it matches the factory pedals! :cool:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I also drilled a small hole in each door panel underneath the door handles, and inserted another blue LED to illuminate the door pocket (JDM Honda accessory style).
How exactly did you get power there? Did you have to remove the door panels to get in there? I did that in my Chevy and it was a MASSIVE pain. I've been meaning to add a few extra blue LEDs to my CR-Z but haven't gotten around it to it yet so any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I started with the passenger side door first...

I used a test-light / probe to poke the wires going into / out of the door switches...but in the end, the window would only roll down in 1" increments, and the light would go out while you used the window switch!:cry: So my original intention of "simply" tapping into the window switch wiring was busted...So I wired all 4 new LEDs as if there was no existing LEDs installed.

So, I ended up with one add-a-fuse, a few feet of light gauge electrical wire, some butt-connectors, and 4 LEDs. I got them at Advance Auto Parts, they were $9.99 and came in a blister pack with Japanese Koi Fish scales on it (sound stereotypical Asian Gong here... ;) ) The LEDs all had at least 12" of wire leads already soldered to them.

I ran the power wires underneath the dash, and carefully popped the door jamb wiring boots loose...fished the wires through and up to where I mounted the door LEDs.

Hope it helps! :headbang:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.