Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Installing HPD springs - Which way is up?

4K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  d1giPhux 
#1 ·
Dumb question, but I find myself asking 'which way is up' with these springs?

I'm assuming the HPD logo goes right side up, but then when I put them on the struts they seem to be a bit c0ckeyed.

One end of the springs sits flat (top side) and the bottom side appears to not be flat. So, does the flat side go on the bottom, or top? I'm guessing top since that would make the HPD logo upright, but, check out these pics:

When I place them with the HPD logo right side up, they seem to sit a bit c0ckeyed. I'm guessing this is because they arent compressed yet.

Any tips?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't ever installed hpd springs but typically the writing right side up is the correct way for springs. The front springs only must be compressed. The bottom of the springs is angled to fit in the bottom. Also if it drops you about an inch and your using the stock shocks/struts you need to cut an inch of bump stop or get a new shorter bump stop.

#3 ·
I remember when installing my Mugen springs, they were almost impossible to distinguish top/bottom or up/down, so I'd just go with the HPD markings in place a read too. Just make sure you twist the upper and lower rubber mounts on AND note that the lower rubber mount has a tab that inserts into the lower perch to get the spring into the right orientation and stabilized.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2014/hpdsuspension.pdf

#5 ·
Hmm, I didnt push that little rubber tab on the spring bottom rubber into the strut perch. I just put it above it (lined it up above the hole).

Does that really matter?

I'm assuming not, since most springs I have ever done just needed the end of the spring against the strut (first pic) and the top plate end matched up with spring (did this too).

#7 ·
The only problem I'd have with NOT having the rubber tab in its proper slot, is that it's not in its proper slot, and I'd have to take it apart and put it back together again, even if it doesn't make much difference. I would think that it's there to keep the spring in the perch, and in the right orientation, but I also think there are quiet a few Honda's out there on the road without them seated in the notch/hole and go unnoticed, otherwise. :grin2:

#11 ·
As you can see, this is on the assembled strut. So, no matter if you put it in the hole or not, its just going to pop out anyways. ...
I'm sorry d1giPhux--I thought you were talking about the REAR spring's seat! You're okay on those front struts, and I just misunderstood what you were saying. :|

It is the Rear spring seat perch that I had to line up with the hole/notch, using the OEM top/bottom rubber mounts with the rear springs.

#14 ·
So do they tend to fall downwards, or side to side? And this is only the front ones correct?

I will definitely have to make something like this to make the job easier.

Last thing I want to fight with is putting axles back in he hub.

BTW: Like those red wood ramps you made in your pic!! (see above)

Thanks!

#15 ·
Yep. Front only, and they will drop (lower) a bit, but they'll swing out on their own (away from the car--more "out" than side-to-side--but, you can also use a couple bungie cords to hold them "in.") Don't worry about it, if they swing a little to front/back/down/outwards, but excessive motion/movement will pull the axle out. Even a jack stand or a stack of Bibles would work to prop the hub up while you're getting the struts connected:grin2:

#17 ·
Gonna finally install these this week.. anyone have any tips?

Any tips for getting the rear springs / struts out?

Hopefully this wont be too much of a pain by myself. Not my first rodeo, but working alone can suck sometimes!

Also, another weird question. When putting the struts together I kept reading this part that said I had to push the bump stop and boot up INTO the upper spring seat. Does this really matter? I'm not sure I pushed it all the way, because it was honestly hard to tell when it was in place. Here is what I mean:

I've never had to do this on another car suspension before. Usually you just drop the bump stop onto the shaft of the strut and put the boot over it. Does it really even matter?

#18 ·
Got almost everything installed today.. except get this, one rear strut. WHY?

Because of the ONE friggin washer i didn't order. The very top washer. I appear to have lost it, I think it fell down in the plastic interior panel!

SO FRIGGIN PISSED!

No honda places are open tomorrow, and its the ONE washer i decided to ignore ordering. W-T-F. Just my luck!

So my choice tomorrow are to borrow a car and drive over an hour and TRY to get a new washer, or pull my interior apart in hopes of finding it. I tried pulling the interior apart today, and I'm wondering if it possibly could have slipped down under the battery.

So displeased! Was SO close to being done, and of course.. this happen! FML. hahaha

What you all think I should do? Search for the washer? Or just try to find a new one?

I see monroe sells this kit:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p.../15740016-P?searchTerm=monroe+top+strut+mount

Might have a washer like the one I need??

#19 ·
I hate when that happens! I did just about the same thing, only it was the little "disk" type of wrench that is used to adjust the shock valve. Dropped it down the nether land, but it did get lodged down under my bass surround, and had to take apart the panels and other parts to find it. If you have one of those handy magnet extension tools, you can try to snatch it up with that (and if you don't have one--get one anyway!) If it's just that top fender type washer, you can get one like it at the local hardware or home improvement center (and then replace it with the OEM washer when you can get that.) I wouldn't see a problem with driving without it, just to get the replacement part--taking it easy.

Anyway, congrats on the install, but sorry about that last little thing that just f's up your day.:frown2:

#20 ·
True that. Def messed the day up! But hopefully I can find something tomorrow.

There is a honda place about an hour from here. Might have to make a trip on my motorcycle and see what I can get.

I definitely lost it down in the plastic, along with a crows foot tool. So, maybe I'll just pull the plastic apart. I started too, but didn't see much. I'm wondering if the stuff fell down under the battery, or if there are other weird crevices down there it could be chilling in.

Hope so!!

#23 ·
So, I finished the install. Have some PRO tips on doing this!!

#1: Have a 'L' shapped allen. Don't try to use allen sockets or T handle allen as they will strip the hole out. Ask me how I know!!

#2. Have a small bar to go over the allen. You may even need to put a larger bar over the small bar. I had to do this when removing the fronts!!

Same goes for the rear:

#3: Have a 17mm and 14mm ratcheting wrench (gearwrench style). This will save you SO MUCH TIME. You have no idea how much time i wasted because I forgot my ratcheting gear wrench the first go around. Seriously!! Go buy these. Worth the money JUST for this alone!

#4: When installing the rear springs / rubber mount that goes under them, make SURE you get the rubbed tab in the right hole!! This was mentioned earlier in the thread. The RIGHT hole is the one closes to the front of the car!! Its also the smaller diameter hole out of the 3 you will see down there. See the following 2 pics:

#5: Have a friend for helping to remove the rear springs. Also, put the tire back on, as it makes it easier for your friend (or yourself) to push down and help remove the spring. One side was easy to do for me, but the other side i had to have my friend put all his weight on the wheel enough that I could pull the spring / put it back in.

I cant say enough about how amazing the HPD suspension feels!!

This is how the car SHOULD feel from the factory!!

I read before that its 'harsh'..BS!! NO SUCH THING!!

Its stiffer than stock suspension (meaning not so 'saggy'), but perfectly smooth for daily driving. Its amazing over bumps. Bumps feel LESS harsh and better feeling than with the stock suspension.

The HPD setup is AMAZING for daily driving, and super good in the corners!

This ride reminds me of the sweet eibach coil springs I had on my subaru. Almost near perfect! I love this!! I was so worried it was going to be 'harsh', but there is NO such thing with this setup! AT ALL!

#26 ·
Just wanted to add this pic in here of an OFFICIAL HPD front strut bump stop compared to OEM cr-z one.

I had to buy a new HPD strut ($400) and got the bump stop with it. Its the ONLY way you can get them. However, I cut the first ring off some OEM ones, and they are the same height as the HPD. Guess my good guess was correct!!

HPD on left, OEM CRZ on right (not cut yet)

OEM CRZ bump stop packaging and number on right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.