Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question, but I find myself asking 'which way is up' with these springs?

I'm assuming the HPD logo goes right side up, but then when I put them on the struts they seem to be a bit c0ckeyed.

One end of the springs sits flat (top side) and the bottom side appears to not be flat. So, does the flat side go on the bottom, or top? I'm guessing top since that would make the HPD logo upright, but, check out these pics:

When I place them with the HPD logo right side up, they seem to sit a bit c0ckeyed. I'm guessing this is because they arent compressed yet.

Any tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I haven't ever installed hpd springs but typically the writing right side up is the correct way for springs. The front springs only must be compressed. The bottom of the springs is angled to fit in the bottom. Also if it drops you about an inch and your using the stock shocks/struts you need to cut an inch of bump stop or get a new shorter bump stop.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I remember when installing my Mugen springs, they were almost impossible to distinguish top/bottom or up/down, so I'd just go with the HPD markings in place a read too. Just make sure you twist the upper and lower rubber mounts on AND note that the lower rubber mount has a tab that inserts into the lower perch to get the spring into the right orientation and stabilized.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2014/hpdsuspension.pdf

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I didnt push that little rubber tab on the spring bottom rubber into the strut perch. I just put it above it (lined it up above the hole).

Does that really matter?

I'm assuming not, since most springs I have ever done just needed the end of the spring against the strut (first pic) and the top plate end matched up with spring (did this too).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Probably doesn't matter one of my rubber knob thingy broke off and I just kinda lined it up. Hasn't had any problems since install about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
The only problem I'd have with NOT having the rubber tab in its proper slot, is that it's not in its proper slot, and I'd have to take it apart and put it back together again, even if it doesn't make much difference. I would think that it's there to keep the spring in the perch, and in the right orientation, but I also think there are quiet a few Honda's out there on the road without them seated in the notch/hole and go unnoticed, otherwise. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is it supposed to go in the hole? It has nothing to line up with really, and even if you push it in, once the spring is on it, it just sits lined up with the hole (aka.. in the hole).

check out the following pics:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As you can see, this is on the assembled strut. So, no matter if you put it in the hole or not, its just going to pop out anyways.

This is what FSM says for alignment:

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
As you can see, this is on the assembled strut. So, no matter if you put it in the hole or not, its just going to pop out anyways. ...
I'm sorry d1giPhux--I thought you were talking about the REAR spring's seat! You're okay on those front struts, and I just misunderstood what you were saying. :|

It is the Rear spring seat perch that I had to line up with the hole/notch, using the OEM top/bottom rubber mounts with the rear springs.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry d1giPhux--I thought you were talking about the REAR spring's seat! You're okay on those front struts, and I just misunderstood what you were saying. :|

It is the Rear spring seat perch that I had to line up with the hole/notch, using the OEM top/bottom rubber mounts with the rear springs.
No problem. This is good info to know too! I will be doing the install soon, so I'm sure I will run into this!!

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
No problem. This is good info to know too! I will be doing the install soon, so I'm sure I will run into this!!
Rear spring/shocks are simple, but just remember--as always--to NOT let the Front hub swing out and away from the drive axles, as they are not the easiest thing to get back into place.

Use a bungie cord or anything you have at hand to keep the front hub from moving too far in the outbound direction. The last time I had to remove my front struts, I drilled a hole in a couple slats of wood and used a lug nut to hold them in place....see an example on one of my build pages:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/cr-z-build-threads/61426-litz-s-2013-pwp-build-thread-17.html#post1037058

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So do they tend to fall downwards, or side to side? And this is only the front ones correct?

I will definitely have to make something like this to make the job easier.

Last thing I want to fight with is putting axles back in he hub.

BTW: Like those red wood ramps you made in your pic!! (see above)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Yep. Front only, and they will drop (lower) a bit, but they'll swing out on their own (away from the car--more "out" than side-to-side--but, you can also use a couple bungie cords to hold them "in.") Don't worry about it, if they swing a little to front/back/down/outwards, but excessive motion/movement will pull the axle out. Even a jack stand or a stack of Bibles would work to prop the hub up while you're getting the struts connected:grin2:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Front only, and they will drop (lower) a bit, but they'll swing out on their own (away from the car--more "out" than side-to-side--but, you can also use a couple bungie cords to hold them "in.") Don't worry about it, if they swing a little to front/back/down/outwards, but excessive motion/movement will pull the axle out. Even a jack stand or a stack of Bibles would work to prop the hub up while you're getting the struts connected:grin2:
Nice!! Yeah I was probably going to use a jack so that I can jack it up with the strut on it while I line the top hat up and get a couple of nuts on. Should work out good as it has in the past for me.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gonna finally install these this week.. anyone have any tips?

Any tips for getting the rear springs / struts out?

Hopefully this wont be too much of a pain by myself. Not my first rodeo, but working alone can suck sometimes!

Also, another weird question. When putting the struts together I kept reading this part that said I had to push the bump stop and boot up INTO the upper spring seat. Does this really matter? I'm not sure I pushed it all the way, because it was honestly hard to tell when it was in place. Here is what I mean:

I've never had to do this on another car suspension before. Usually you just drop the bump stop onto the shaft of the strut and put the boot over it. Does it really even matter?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got almost everything installed today.. except get this, one rear strut. WHY?

Because of the ONE friggin washer i didn't order. The very top washer. I appear to have lost it, I think it fell down in the plastic interior panel!

SO FRIGGIN PISSED!

No honda places are open tomorrow, and its the ONE washer i decided to ignore ordering. W-T-F. Just my luck!

So my choice tomorrow are to borrow a car and drive over an hour and TRY to get a new washer, or pull my interior apart in hopes of finding it. I tried pulling the interior apart today, and I'm wondering if it possibly could have slipped down under the battery.

So displeased! Was SO close to being done, and of course.. this happen! FML. hahaha

What you all think I should do? Search for the washer? Or just try to find a new one?

I see monroe sells this kit:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/monroe-strut-mate-strut-mounting-kit-901940/15740016-P?searchTerm=monroe+top+strut+mount

Might have a washer like the one I need??

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I hate when that happens! I did just about the same thing, only it was the little "disk" type of wrench that is used to adjust the shock valve. Dropped it down the nether land, but it did get lodged down under my bass surround, and had to take apart the panels and other parts to find it. If you have one of those handy magnet extension tools, you can try to snatch it up with that (and if you don't have one--get one anyway!) If it's just that top fender type washer, you can get one like it at the local hardware or home improvement center (and then replace it with the OEM washer when you can get that.) I wouldn't see a problem with driving without it, just to get the replacement part--taking it easy.

Anyway, congrats on the install, but sorry about that last little thing that just f's up your day.:frown2:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate when that happens! I did just about the same thing, only it was the little "disk" type of wrench that is used to adjust the shock valve. Dropped it down the nether land, but it did get lodged down under my bass surround, and had to take apart the panels and other parts to find it. If you have one of those handy magnet extension tools, you can try to snatch it up with that (and if you don't have one--get one anyway!) If it's just that top fender type washer, you can get one like it at the local hardware or home improvement center (and then replace it with the OEM washer when you can get that.) I wouldn't see a problem with driving without it, just to get the replacement part--taking it easy.

Anyway, congrats on the install, but sorry about that last little thing that just f's up your day.:frown2:
True that. Def messed the day up! But hopefully I can find something tomorrow.

There is a honda place about an hour from here. Might have to make a trip on my motorcycle and see what I can get.

I definitely lost it down in the plastic, along with a crows foot tool. So, maybe I'll just pull the plastic apart. I started too, but didn't see much. I'm wondering if the stuff fell down under the battery, or if there are other weird crevices down there it could be chilling in.

Hope so!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts