Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this warning, "tighten fuel cap" show up the other day. It was right after start up, and stayed for awhile. Pulled over and fuel cap not loose, however, removed cap and reinstalled. Still had warning, turned off car and restarted, still had warning, so drove home. Took half of the trip home (about 30 minutes) before warning finally went away. Anyone else see this yet???

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It happens on Hondas when the cap isn't reinstalled correctly after a fill up. Usually takes a few key turns and mile before it turns itself off after you reinstall the fuel cap. Happened to me once many years ago with another Honda. No worries.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Beats the crap out of CEL you get on most other cars. Had it happen to me once in a Scion on a long trip - good thing I had the Scangauge with me - otherwise would've been freaking out over nothing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happens on Hondas when the cap isn't reinstalled correctly after a fill up. Usually takes a few key turns and mile before it turns itself off after you reinstall the fuel cap. Happened to me once many years ago with another Honda. No worries.
Ok thx. But just one question, does the car know if the gas caps are really loose or maybe even off?

Hey Bizzy, we are all aircraft mechanics. We love doing mods to anything we can. Also, I believe it wouldn't be too hard since the mod cell would be above the tank. With a simple added valve between the two would solve switching the two tanks, however if I could get away with it I would prefer gravity fed to the main tank from the added fuel cell...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ok thx. But just one question, does the car know if the gas caps are really loose or maybe even off?
Yes. The evaporative recovery system (aka carbon/charcoal canister for capturing the gas fumes) is thinking that you have a vacuum leak. It should hold vacuum in the canister to recover the unburnt fumes from the fuel tank and intake system. To my understanding the fumes are pulled in for combustion the next time you start the car.

If the gas cap isn't on or loose, there's no vacuum for it to work. Since most of the time the lack of vacuum will be due to a cap (instead of a hole in that vacuum line) that particular sensor warning is associated with "loose gas cap".

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
been driving newer Honda's since 2006 and i always do 3-clicks to be sure... i never experienced this light/warning doing that... don't worry about breaking it b/c you won't by over clicking (tightening) it :thumbup:

Hey Bizzy, we are all aircraft mechanics. We love doing mods to anything we can. Also, I believe it wouldn't be too hard since the mod cell would be above the tank. With a simple added valve between the two would solve switching the two tanks, however if I could get away with it I would prefer gravity fed to the main tank from the added fuel cell...
was this the wrong thread for this?? sounds like it belongs in another thread from a while back lol...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. The evaporative recovery system (aka carbon/charcoal canister for capturing the gas fumes) is thinking that you have a vacuum leak. It should hold vacuum in the canister to recover the unburnt fumes from the fuel tank and intake system. To my understanding the fumes are pulled in for combustion the next time you start the car.

If the gas cap isn't on or loose, there's no vacuum for it to work. Since most of the time the lack of vacuum will be due to a cap (instead of a hole in that vacuum line) that particular sensor warning is associated with "loose gas cap".
Is it possible to get this same warning while running on fumes? I ask b/c The last couple of tanks I have ran damn near all the fuel out of my tank to get to my 500 plus miles per tank. I think the first time I put in 10.4 gals when we only have 10.6 gal tank. This last time I only added 10.1. Could it be sensing air in the system instead of fuel and sending a false warning, kinda like an air bubble?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been driving newer Honda's since 2006 and i always do 3-clicks to be sure... i never experienced this light/warning doing that... don't worry about breaking it b/c you won't by over clicking (tightening) it :thumbup:

was this the wrong thread for this?? sounds like it belongs in another thread from a while back lol...
Your right, my bad I was going over some long past post to refresh my memory when I answered someone else and I think I ended up posting wrong anyway.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Old Thread Bumping

So I had this the happen to me the other day. Didn't make since, due that I had already driven 100 miles (3 Days) since I filled up last. It just came on when I started my car leaving work. I checked to see if it was tight and it was. Turned off the car and restarted and still gave me the warning. Drove home and parked it with the warning still on. The next morning it was gone. Never had this issue with any of my previous cars (that supported the feature) in the past. Not sure what was going on, but hasn't came on yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guess I'm bumping an old thread too. Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and the light seems to come on when I get to about 3/8th of a tank. Goes away when I fill up the car.

The other day, it threw a code on the CIL and the dealership's "honda" mechanic said that it was just a gas cap light. They reset the CIL, then today when I went for lunch, the gas was at 3/8th of a tank and up came the check gas cap light.

Bringing it back to them tonight, plus the SM is going to get a talking too as well. Two weeks owning both cars we purchased there and they've both been back several times to have issues fixed. CR-Z had a burnt out a/c clutch and the Routan randomly turns off while being driven b/c of a fault in the CAM positioning sensor that's already been replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guess I'm bumping an old thread too. Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and the light seems to come on when I get to about 3/8th of a tank. Goes away when I fill up the car.

The other day, it threw a code on the CIL and the dealership's "honda" mechanic said that it was just a gas cap light. They reset the CIL, then today when I went for lunch, the gas was at 3/8th of a tank and up came the check gas cap light.

Bringing it back to them tonight, plus the SM is going to get a talking too as well. Two weeks owning both cars we purchased there and they've both been back several times to have issues fixed. CR-Z had a burnt out a/c clutch and the Routan randomly turns off while being driven b/c of a fault in the CAM positioning sensor that's already been replaced.
Just in case anyone else runs into one of these problems, it turned out to be the evap sensor on my CR-Z that was causing the Tighten Gas Cap light and the CIL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this happen once, it goes away on its own. on a side note, is there no flappy door where the fuel goes in on yours, on my old cars it wasn't just a hole where the fuel enters I'm used to seeing a spring trap door in where the gas hose goes. when I first got the car I wasn't sure if it ever had one since I bought used.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Interesting things are going on in the fuel cap world. The new Civic, and apparently Fords for quite some time, have gone to a capless design which has a flap in the middle of the "cap" into which you stick the filler nozzle. I have no idea how they get around smog warnings- the spring pressure is very light.

Topping off during fueling can gag the vapor and evaporative recovery system, kind of like the car getting reflux. The smog system will have a snit fit and throw a CEL. Oh, and cost you money, of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.