Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am out $500 and waiting for a car--a horrible period. My dealer has said that they arranged for a swap--a car set for another dealer was switched to them and vice versa. But the dealer has refused to estimate a time frame. Won't say x weeks or x months. Is that just how it goes?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine took my credit card number but did not post a charge to it. He said he didn't have a car to charge me for yet, "only air" and I agreed. He estimated 1.5 to 2months. A very long and difficult wait.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For me - it seemed a lot longer than it actually was. I hope the wait passes quickly for you. Hopefully they will give you a timeframe once they know some more details.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deposit

Mine took my credit card number but did not post a charge to it. He said he didn't have a car to charge me for yet, "only air" and I agreed. He estimated 1.5 to 2months. A very long and difficult wait.
Mine charged it--it showed up immediately (I checked). Sounds like you have a better dealer.
I am so ready to be done with my Mini Cooper that I am contemplating expanding the color choices (all but red). Probably would not help though, so should just try to chill.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My dealer here in Maryland also needed to arrange to get my car from another dealer about 70 miles away. Made the down payment on a Saturday and it was there on Tuesday. Kind of hard to understand how they can't give you a very close ETA if they in fact have the swap set up. Maybe since it's a car "set for another dealer" it means it still hasn't shipped to a dealer as yet? Bummer! :thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
most dealerships will hold your deposit of $500 while they locate and get a car for you... you can always get your money back if you find one yourself...

also, do a cars.com search around your area and maybe a bit further to see for yourself if there's anything out there you might like... and if your dealer is swapping a car for you with another dealership, make sure you tell them you won't accept it with XXX amount of miles on it b/c there has been some posts already with people waiting for a dealer trade and when they dealer calls them to come pick it up it has hundreds of miles on it and the deal fell through... you don't want that experience...

btw, what exactly are you looking for?? transmission? color? trim level?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I want

most dealerships will hold your deposit of $500 while they locate and get a car for you... you can always get your money back if you find one yourself...
Can I? The deposit agreement I signed says: "Non-refundable unless financing not approved through all available resources". Seemed pretty extreme to me. What if they don't have a car for me in, say, 3 months?

btw, what exactly are you looking for?? transmission? color? trim level?
I want a white EX with manual transmission, no navigation. Apparently that's like asking for a unicorn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's wrong with...?

What's wrong with red? By the way what is wrong with the Mini Cooper?
I'll be worth the wait.
I just don't like red on anything. I have no clothing that is red either. Just not a color I care for.
The Mini is just too buggy. You'll regret getting me started on this. Always something wrong. And very expensive to maintain once that initial warranty is done. Like $1000 for brakes at 37,000 miles. I never had a car need brakes anywhere near that soon. Or be that expensive. In my history of 43,000 miles: The weather stripping on the hatch window came off. The dealer installed window tint peeled up soon. The sunroof stopped opening, and has been buggy since being replaced. The run flat tires are always flat, and expensive to buy, hard to find. A solenoid went bad. There was a catalytic converter recall. Several times I had weird engine sputterings and needed "software upgrades" to fix. I had a periodic issue where after starting the car the steering wheel would not unlock. Sometimes had to restart the car up to 7 times before it would unlock. And the dealer did nothing the 1st few times because they could not reproduce it. My passenger window spontaneously shattered once (hard to know about that one, but I was no where near any other car on the road). Recently the air conditioning has made odd noises at times. And just before I put down money on the CR-Z the shifter knob broke off. Call it the last straw. Now that I have to pay for these things I don't want the car anymore. It's a shame though, 'cause there's a lot to like about it.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i saw a unicorn for sale on craigslist... i'll see if i can find that post for ya :giggle:

i'm not sure about that paper u signed... most dealerships will have you sign something saying what you're looking for... but nothing contractual... SOME dealerships might want to be jerks and can legally keep your $500 deposit for their searching efforts... but most will refund you based on customer loyalty... in other words, they'd rather make a friend/customer happy than keep their money...

if they don't want to refund your money... i'd be on them like white on rice... daily calls/visits just checking up on the car... and if they say don't call anymore, tell them to give u a refund :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
My unicorn (with the same $500 fake deposit) should be here within 2 weeks and I made it clear with the inventory guy and the sales manager that I won't feel guilty doing a chargeback on the credit card if the car is not in my possession in 14 days.

Apparently there is a boat on the way to East Coast loaded with unicorns.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Well I am out $500 and waiting for a car--a horrible period. My dealer has said that they arranged for a swap--a car set for another dealer was switched to them and vice versa. But the dealer has refused to estimate a time frame. Won't say x weeks or x months. Is that just how it goes?
Yea, if they cashed in your deposit I can see where it would and should maybe cause some concern. I would. While we are all hoping you'll get what you bought in quick fashion, if you start getting more concerned based on thier answers etc., there is a Honda US web site with some contact information. I just tried to call it and see what menu options there were or if it was a live attendant (imagine that) but they were closed. The link is below and number/address in the contacts section. Others here in the group may have a better contact information

Customer Service - the Official Honda Web Site

If you end up going this route, i.e., just fed up and want your deposit back, it is always a good idea to keep the emotion out of the equation. I normally find it is good to sit down, open up your word processor of choice and take a hour or so and write down times, places, who said what, who did what, did not do what etc. Or better yet, keep a log starting now. This allows you to reference it while discussing the issue, or put it in letter form if needed. Disclaimer, if your drinking a beer or 2 while writing it, make sure you read it clear headed afterwards. :rolleyes:

You should be OK. Dealers can be or minimally appear to be shady/greasy, but they have a vested interest in keeping a good reputation and customer based. Hopefully they are doing everything they can to fit your order. Most do. But never hurts to cover your own back.

R/Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
As I've said in a few other forum threads, reading stuff like this makes me sooooo happy/relieved at how well my experience went. Here in Maryland there seem to be plenty available at dealerships-- 77 within 50 miles of my zip code, and pretty much all color and type combos covered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progress of sorts

My dealer has told me they found a car, BUT it has about 600 miles on it. Should I care much? This was their response when I asked if they could work a trade with the other Honda dealer in town for one of theirs that I looked at. They have more than once now responded like this--with something other than I asked about. They are getting annoying.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
My dealer has told me they found a car, BUT it has about 600 miles on it. Should I care much? This was their response when I asked if they could work a trade with the other Honda dealer in town for one of theirs that I looked at. They have more than once now responded like this--with something other than I asked about. They are getting annoying.
That is a tough one. Is it the car you want?

Always tough to know how the first 600 were put on it - abused or not? Or does it matter? Your going to get the warranty (make sure of this). Could be a good bargaining point? Definitely look over the interior and body with a fine tooth comb. 600miles probably represents possible nicks and dings more so than any thing else.

600miles could be a stigma to some. I would be hesitant. But, not necessarily back out.

Cut to others opinions.

R/Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer told me exactly the same thing. I'm still waiting. :sadwavey:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am just curious why people put money down on a new vehicle before it is in hand. Do your dealers make you do that ? When I got my CR-Z the dealer knew what date it was coming in and knew I wanted it but didnt ask for anything down.

Even when I special ordered my new truck the dealer asked for a deposit and I said no, and they said ok dont worry about it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I am just curious why people put money down on a new vehicle before it is in hand. Do your dealers make you do that ? When I got my CR-Z the dealer knew what date it was coming in and knew I wanted it but didnt ask for anything down.

Even when I special ordered my new truck the dealer asked for a deposit and I said no, and they said ok dont worry about it.

In my case, I put money down long before it was released. Just to make sure that the dealer was legally obligated to get me the first one that came in (that matched my wants)... I didn't want to have to wait. If someone else had put a deposit down, and I hadn't... I might still be waiting for a car.

Dealers like it because it shows you are serious... they get way too many people that come in and talk the talk, and they (dealer) never hear from them again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just don't like red on anything. I have no clothing that is red either. Just not a color I care for.
The Mini is just too buggy. You'll regret getting me started on this. Always something wrong. And very expensive to maintain once that initial warranty is done. Like $1000 for brakes at 37,000 miles. I never had a car need brakes anywhere near that soon. Or be that expensive. In my history of 43,000 miles: The weather stripping on the hatch window came off. The dealer installed window tint peeled up soon. The sunroof stopped opening, and has been buggy since being replaced. The run flat tires are always flat, and expensive to buy, hard to find. A solenoid went bad. There was a catalytic converter recall. Several times I had weird engine sputterings and needed "software upgrades" to fix. I had a periodic issue where after starting the car the steering wheel would not unlock. Sometimes had to restart the car up to 7 times before it would unlock. And the dealer did nothing the 1st few times because they could not reproduce it. My passenger window spontaneously shattered once (hard to know about that one, but I was no where near any other car on the road). Recently the air conditioning has made odd noises at times. And just before I put down money on the CR-Z the shifter knob broke off. Call it the last straw. Now that I have to pay for these things I don't want the car anymore. It's a shame though, 'cause there's a lot to like about it.
:yeahthat: about the Mini.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.