Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CRZ is consistently criticized by almost every automotive journalist for it's "dissapointing" fuel economy. But for just a minute imagine if the CRZ had achieved an EPA rating equal to the Prius of 50MPG. I predict that the reviews would be glowing. They would gush about how a proper hybrid doesn't have to look and drive like an appliance. Honda would be again recognized as the originator of the hybrid and the CRZ hailed as it's latest greatest accomplishment. Agreed?

Now let's consider the reality. The CRZ gets about 38 MPG in real world driving. This doesn't sound very impressive to some, until you consider this.

Driving 15,000 miles per year, the additional gas used by a car getting 38 MPG vs a car getting 50 MPG is 95 gallons. At today's national average price for gas of $2.70/gal this amounts to $256.

So the CRZ is a huge disappointment because it costs $256/year extra to run compared to what it would cost if it had met the critics expectations of 50MPG.

Now consider, that extra 95 gallons of gas per year burned by the actual CRZ vs the 50 MPG "imagine" CRZ, is the same difference in fuel used when comparing a car getting 20 MPG vs one getting 23 MPG.

Now tell me when has a car that delivers 20 MPG ever been criticized this much when compared to another car that gets 23 MPG? 20MPG vs 23MPG no big deal right? But it is the same difference as 38MPG vs 50MPG. The point being that once you get up to about 35MPG, additional gains in fuel economy are minimal and really only bring bragging rights and no significant $ savings.

I will be the first to say that I was disappointed with the net fuel economy gained by the addition of Honda's IMA to the fit 1.5l engine. I would have much preferred a CRZ with the standard fit engine and no IMA. It may have been 3 to 4 MPG less effecient, but the car would have been 175 pounds lighter, have a bit more cargo space and probably would have been $2000 less exensive.

Nevertheless, Honda is looking forward to 2014 when their corpoate average fuel economy for passenger cars must reach 35 MPG and the Hybrid CRZ and it's EPA 34/38 MPG is a part of that whole strategy.

So tell me, is the CRZ really all that bad a car because it will use 95 additional gallons of gas per year compared to the 50 MPG CRZ that would have been the toast of the town?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hell no its not that bad of a car because it uses 95 more gallons of fuel. My Frontier would have used that in 3000 miles, and with this car, I am saving a total of over $1000 due to how economical this car is. I think thats the thing that people don't see, and I didn't see that until you posted this - More fuel mileage, past a point is just something of diminishing returns. I can sleep very soundly with 35 MPG.

And I don't even think the CRZ is a traditional hybrid (This is the first one I have ever driven/owned) I know with Prius's, if you are going below a certain MPH, like on the 405 during rush hour, it will run off the battery, where as with the 6MT only shuts the engine off when I pop it into neutral and I am 1) slowing down or 2) sitting at a stop light. Going back to this thread: Missing the point?, I think Honda has done a great job of breaking the mold. It just may take a while for people to realize how important this car is lol. Before we know it, EVERY car will be a hybrid of some sort.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@TCroly: Thanks for that! It's unfortunate that innovative aspects such as yours end up on a forum, whereas "follow the leader"/un-original/bland journalism remains our benchmark for choosing new vehicles.

Also, you were a bit conservative with your 12 MPG Difference; I drove the snot out of the CR-Z and got 37 MPG average. If I had driven a Prius the same way I would not have gotten 50 MPG. Probably more like 45 MPG, or a 8 MPG difference

Thanks again for an insightful post!

·
Registered
239 Posts
People hear hybrid and they expect a Prius.
People hear sporty and they expect a RX8.
The CR-Z is in the middle with a little of both worlds and that just confuses people. It was never said that this car is just a hybrid nor was it ever stated that this car was just a sporty coupe.
If someone wants better mileage then buy the Fit hybrid which is already on sale.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
now all Honda has to do to sell a boatload of CR-Z's is to somehow incorporate these figures about more MPGs over a certain number is more for bragging rights than real-world differences... and this car will fly off the shelves... fortunately for ppl like me that likes exclusivity, most ppl will take quite some time to realize this fact and stay away from the car... while ppl like us will take advantage of awesome MPGs and quite a Sporty ride...

·
Registered
522 Posts
now all Honda has to do to sell a boatload of CR-Z's is to somehow incorporate these figures about more MPGs over a certain number is more for bragging rights than real-world differences... and this car will fly off the shelves... fortunately for ppl like me that likes exclusivity, most ppl will take quite some time to realize this fact and stay away from the car... while ppl like us will take advantage of awesome MPGs and quite a Sporty ride...

Preach it!! I <3 exclusivity - I'd prefer the masses stay away from my (our) ride ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Why some people always link hybrid with high MPG???? Brain washed by ads???
Why can't hybrid being used for performance? That's Honda does on CR-Z. MPG gain is just a plus. The main purpose is the power add on to a NA engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.