Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Some interesting SOC testing today on a decent trip. (No issues to report)

The Lithium SOC varies from 20-80%.
The car will naturally try to keep it around 60% in normal use.

With the manual control your can force assist/regen to change this.
You can force charge to 80% or force assist to drain it to 20% at will.

Note. Although the SOC stops moving at 80 or 20% you can continue to charge or discharge for a little while until the BMS finally cuts the power.
This is probably after another 5-10% has been added/removed behind the scenes.

If charging for example the SOC stops incrementing at 80% but the car will force charge for a bit longer (say ~30 seconds).
When you then start discharging the 80% does not start dropping right away indicating this 'extra' you put in is being used first!

So in effect we probably have a range of about 90-10% but SOC only indicates 80-20%.

For use in a short course sprint event you could force charge until the car cuts power for absolute maximum capacity ~90% off the start line.
However you won't have any regen until the SOC has dropped to below 80%.

If you want regen available at the first corner only charge to 80%.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
24 Posts
I have a set of paddles as I am in the process of retrofitting cruise control to my car.

On thing to note is that there are two types of Clock Springs, I had to upgrade mine as it did not have enough pins. I will take pictures later of both models (with serial no).

I will also measure wether the buttons are push to release or push to connect.
And one other idea I have is that it might be possible to replace the switches with a slider/pot in order to have variable control (i have acces to a 3D printer so would be able to make parts)

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
417 Posts
I have a set of paddles as I am in the process of retrofitting cruise control to my car.

On thing to note is that there are two types of Clock Springs, I had to upgrade mine as it did not have enough pins. I will take pictures later of both models (with serial no).

And one other idea I have is that it might be possible to replace the switches with a slider/pot in order to have variable control (i have acces to a 3D printer so would be able to make parts)

Got any info on that part? At least here in the US the part numbers are the same between the 6 speed and CVT models. I have a used CVT wheel on the way to prep for this modification.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
Good ideas! keep the info coming. Thanks. (y)
The Car modulates regen while the brake is applied, so I'm curious if that's something you can override to just be full regen while the brakes are applied... maybe have it cut out below 5 mph just so it's not commanding full regen while stopped at a light.
Got any info on that part? At least here in the US the part numbers are the same between the 6 speed and CVT models. I have a used CVT wheel on the way to prep for this modification.
the US clockspring is unique to the US. we just have to be special...

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
We can do almost anything we like given enough time $$ and effort.

The IMA control gadget knows when the car is requesting regen, that can easily be maxed out above a certain speed.
The gadget can probably find out if the brakes are being applied. If so then it can do the above.

If you want specific functionality you will need to become an active system user/tester.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We can do almost anything we like given enough time $$ and effort.

The IMA control gadget knows when the car is requesting regen, that can easily be maxed out above a certain speed.
The gadget can probably find out if the brakes are being applied. If so then it can do the above.

If you want specific functionality you will need to become an active system user/tester.
Would there be a way to hook it up to the brakes without the system constantly stalling the car? It would be really annoying to have to constantly shift to neutral before coming to a light, and unbearable in the summer here in Texas due to the extreme heat since that would kill your A/C. Then again it would be annoying anyways because it would be jarring feeling it cut in and out constantly.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
If the brake data is in the CAN packets on the IMA or FCAN lines then it can be easily accessed/used once it has been identified.
Identifying/locating the info in the reams of data is the tricky bit.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
24 Posts
Alright guys, I did some investigating and probing at my shifter paddles. Here are my findings:
The Shifter Paddles use momentary press-to-connect PCB switches. They are mounted on a little PCB together with an LED (to illuminate the + / - symbol). The PCB is located in a very small housing, Definitely not possible to mount a POT in there, but looking at the design I suspect that there MIGHT be some space outside of the housing near the connector to the steering wheel harness. But will have to take my actual steering wheel apart to verify that.

Now then, the clock spring thing
@SkittyDoogle, Yes, if I understand correctly all models in the US come with Cruise Control (and possibly Hands Free Calling) as standard. However, not all EDM and JDM cars do. Those MIGHT need to upgrade their clutch spring. My CS only had 10 pins, so I had to upgrade to the 18 pin CS to make Cruise work (which uses 4 pins)

Luckily though, the steering wheel I bought (which has Cruise Control, Hands Free Calling and Shifter Paddles, but NO S+ Button) still has 3 unused pins on the 18-pin CS, which means we might be able to use those for control add-ons.

TLDR:
  • Push-To-Connect Shifter Paddles
  • MIGHT be possibelle to add POT (further investigation going on)
  • At least 2 unused pins on the 18-pin clockspring, which could be used for control
  • EDM/JDM cars without Cruise Control and/or Hands Free Calling might have to upgrade Clock Spring

Circuit component Finger Electrical wiring Nail Font
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive tire Electrical wiring Bicycle part
Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component Machine Engineering
Guitar accessory Sleeve Finger Material property Gadget
Finger Thumb Electrical wiring Wrist Wire

Black wires connect when button is pushed. Red / Green are for the LED

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Do the two paddle switches have a common ground?

We would likely need three wires. Switch A, Switch B, Common GND.

If they do share a ground can that be separated from the other grounds that might be shared with other stuff on the wheel?

We don't want to create an earth loop.

The LED's would not be powered/used.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
24 Posts
Do the two paddle switches have a common ground?

We would likely need three wires. Switch A, Switch B, Common GND.

If they do share a ground can that be separated from the other grounds that might be shared with other stuff on the wheel?

We don't want to create an earth loop.

The LED's would not be powered/used.
Ground is shared with all other switches within the steering wheel. LED Circuit is seperated.
The switches make a connection to ground when pressed.
The signals can be read from the clock spring at the car side. You could use the original ground signal, use the positive side of the LED circuit, or utelize one of the unused pins from the clock spring for your own signal. Last two options qould require modification of the harness (obviously).

In theory though you can still keep the LED's connected (I would!) as it is a seperated circuit (including seperated ground).

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I haven't touched the code for this (IMAC&C) for a week as I have been working on the OBDIIC&C.
It just works fine though which is great. No errors or glitches.

As the IMAC&C talks on the FCAN and IMACAN lines I'm going to add some of the OBDIIC&C functionality too it.
So we should have some of the extra data/functions available from that device..

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
24 Posts
I opened up my steering wheel today and it looks like there should be plenty of room to modify the shifter paddles into variable input devices with the use of some 3d printing and two potentiometers.

@PeterPerkins would the IMAC&C unit be able to accept two inputs, one for throttle and one for regen? Or would both have to be combined into one signal? It is possible but in my experience, prone to issues.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Used steering wheel arrived today. I gutted some of the parts I would need for later. I discovered that the harness between the manual and CVT cars are different. The shifter paddle equipped cars have a harness that interacts much more with the clock spring than the one without them. Thankfully the part numbers for the clock spring are the same so the car side of things will make it much easier to wire. It has four extra leadson either side so it's best to buy a used wheel with all of the parts than resorting to buying all of the parts separately from a parts website.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle part

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
@PeterPerkins would the IMAC&C unit be able to accept two inputs, one for throttle and one for regen? Or would both have to be combined into one signal? It is possible but in my experience, prone to issues.
Yes it could accept two voltage readings on seperate lines.
That would need four wires coming from the IMAC&C control unit.

+5V (I don't want to share this with the other steering wheel controls)
GND (I don't want to share this with the other steering wheel controls)
Pot1 0-5V
Pot2 0-5V

121 - 140 of 144 Posts