Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Driving round with this all day yesterday testing. No issues.... (y)

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

I need to get my OBDIIC&C gauge working properly in the Lithium car as I want to watch the various parameters during testing!
That's an incentive to make it work like the Nimh version so that will benefit others with Lithium cars!

I noted with the slider I could....

Force assist until there were 0 SOC bars and the car stopped assisting a short time later (Battery protection and expected behaviour)
Vice versa.
Force regen until there were 8 SOC bars and the car stopped regening a short time later (Battery protection and expected behaviour)

I am going to do a capacity test once I get my OBDIIC&C working.
Force charge until car stops it, then one long sustained steady use of medium assist until SOC empty and car cuts power.

The Lithium pack although capable of higher instantaneous KW output is pretty pathetic (IMO) in it's stamina/duration.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
The above simple 16F1825 prototype seems to work fine for basic testing. So if people want to copy that for free use that's fine.
I'll upload the firmware FOC later. It should work in Lithium and Nimh cars.

However the commercial PCB version will be based on 18F26K80 as this gives us a lot more performance/memory/ram etc.
I'm going to build a prototype for that over the weekend.

It will have analog RCA video text output for information and should be useable on dash head units with reversing camera etc inputs. .
It will also use three CAN boards and talk on the FCAN bus as well as intercept/modify signals on the IMACAN one.
So more room for more features etc..

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
I bought a used 2013+ CVT steering wheel so I could salvage the paddles and other parts to use as the switches for the manual regen hack. It's a very promising project!
For proportional control this mod requires a slider pot/adc volume control variable input device. Switch paddles can't do that easily.

However. If you want I could add a function to the mode button/input so that depending on which paddle you are operating it gives either maximum assist or regen.
Do you have a diagram of the paddle buttons and how they operate?
Push to break or push to make etc?
Any other parts in the circuit? Internal resistors? Common wires, connector details etc.
We don't have them over here so you will have to seek/work out the info and post it.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
417 Posts
For proportional control this mod requires a slider pot/adc volume control variable input device. Switch paddles can't do that.

However. If you want I could add a function to the mode button/input so that depending on which paddle you are operating it gives either maximum assist or regen.
Any other parts in the circuit? Internal resistors? Common wires, connector details etc.
We don't have them over here so you will have to seek/work out the info and post it.
Yeah, max assist and regen is what I'm looking for. I take mine to the autocross course occasionally and there's just no practical way I can fiddle with a slider while in the middle of a corner or in a slalom. Having a switch I know will be consistent 100% of the time will be amazing, and it will save the brakes! Depending on how strong it is I might want to have them wire it to the brake lights to activate when using the switch.

First thing to do is figure out if the switch is a button or if it requires a transistor. Then we need to know if the clock spring can be used or if we need another one. After that it's a matter of wiring. The tech I know used to work on Teslas, and he is fond of EVs and hybrids. He has a pretty good idea of what to do so far, he just needs to be able to build his own PCB on his own time.

By the way, what is the maximum packet output of just plain WOT without forcing maximum assist? I'm curious to know what the limits are.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
By the way, what is the maximum packet output of just plain WOT without forcing maximum assist? I'm curious to know what the limits are.
When the SOC is high the power output is likely the same/very similar.
So 10kw (Nimh) or 15kw (Lithium) depending on the car and battery condition, SOC, temperature > 20C etc etc

However as the SOC falls the ECM cuts back IMA power.
This overrides that until the battery finally says I'm done!

Then you can force charge at tickover with the slider pot between runs while sat waiting.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When the SOC is high the power output is likely the same/very similar.
So 10kw (Nimh) or 15kw (Lithium) depending on the car and battery condition, SOC, temperature > 20C etc etc

However as the SOC falls the ECM cuts back IMA power.
This overrides that until the battery finally says I'm done!

Then you can force charge at tickover with the slider pot between runs while sat waiting.
Forced recharge seems like a really useful feature now that you put it like that. Think the car can have both forced 100% on/off and a slider switch to force recharge?

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
For proportional control this mod requires a slider pot/adc volume control variable input device. Switch paddles can't do that easily.

they are normal open momentary...

·
Registered
417 Posts
It looks excellent! Glad to hear you reference my idea too. 🤣 I know the forced max assist with paddles is a bit of a gimmick and the throttle would be much more ideal but might as well hook it up since it has both switches. Forced manual regen is where the paddles would shine though!

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
It looks excellent! Glad to hear you reference my idea too. 🤣 I know the forced max assist with paddles is a bit of a gimmick and the throttle would be much more ideal but might as well hook it up since it has both switches. Forced manual regen is where the paddles would shine though!
You need to provide details of the pinouts etc for the paddle switches..

·
Registered
417 Posts
You need to provide details of the pinouts etc for the paddle switches..
Found what I think will suffice for wiring details. The picture of the clockspring came from a Honda parts website and the wiring came from the totally not stolen online FSM. The clockspring has up to 20 pins but looks like 1 and 2 aren't there, in this case they don't matter.
Clock Machine Measuring instrument Engineering Circle

The paddles operate with pin 3 (light blue wire) for down shifting and 4 (yellow wire) for up shifting, both using pin 19 (black wire) for ground.
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Number

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

Since this appears to be a basic normally open switch it should be straightforward.

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
I've added max assist/regen paddle switch inputs to the new 18F26K80 based schematic. (y)
I'm still tinkering with it and hopefully going for a through hole layout so people can build it cheaper themselves.

Output device Gadget Font Display device Flat panel display

Screen stuff.

1ST LINE. NAME, DATE, VERSION, SL123 = Slider pot ADC value (0-255)

2ND LINE.
A0 = Assist Flag. (1= Active 0=Inactive)
C0000 = Assist Level the OEM ECM is commanding. (0 - 4095) 4095 being MAX assist.
T0000 = Target Assist Level that IMAC&C wants to achieve. (0 - 4095) 4095 being MAX assist.
L0000 = Current Assist Level that IMAC&C is commanding. (0 - 4095) 4095 being MAX assist. (IMAC&C quickly ramps up/down to achieve target level)

3RD LINE.
R0 = Regen Flag. (1= Active 0=Inactive)
C0000 = Regen Level the OEM ECM is commanding. (4095 - 0) 0 being MAX regen.
T0000 = Target Regen Level that IMAC&C wants to achieve. (4095 - 0) 0 being MAX regen.
L0000 = Current Regen Level that IMAC&C is commanding. (4095 - 0) 0 being MAX regen. (IMAC&C quickly ramps up/down to achieve target level)

4TH LINE.
TH000 = Throttle position value (0-255) 255 being WOT full throttle.
SP000 = Speed in mph.
SOC%240 = IMA Battery state of charge %. (240 = 24.1%)

5TH LINE.
AP1 = Assist Paddle Switch. (1=Off 0=On)
RP1 = Regen Paddle Switch. (1=Off 0=On)

6TH LINE.
C45559 = Program Loop Counter (0 - 65535)

101 - 120 of 144 Posts