Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
With the MITM overriding the assist/regen the dash meter becomes somewhat redundant. Could an LED bar be fitted into the box of the OBDIIC&C to show the genuine assist/regen when the MITM is doing its thing? Or maybe an analogue bar graph on the existing LCD display of the OBDIIC&C? I presume that the existing volt/amps/watts displays on the OBDIIC&C would give an accurate representation of what is happening, but I personally find that a visual display is easier to glance at and take in.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
With the MITM overriding the assist/regen the dash meter becomes somewhat redundant. Could an LED bar be fitted into the box of the OBDIIC&C to show the genuine assist/regen when the MITM is doing its thing? Or maybe an analogue bar graph on the existing LCD display of the OBDIIC&C? I presume that the existing volt/amps/watts displays on the OBDIIC&C would give an accurate representation of what is happening, but I personally find that a visual display is easier to glance at and take in.
Good ideas.

Physically fitting a separate led/lcd display thing might be tricky as the gauge serves several IMA cars, G1, HCH1, HCH2, CR-Z etc..
It's already been hacked a lot for extra functionality including data logging, manual control etc, there is not a lot of spare I/O to drive stuff.

However It could drive an led graph/display independently using another cheap pic based on the logging data the OBDIIC&C outputs..
If someone want to research cheap decent looking led bar graph pod/displays etc and posts ideas I will then think about how to drive it. ;)

The free option, a left/right bar graph on the current OBDIIC&C LCD display is certainly easily doable..
If you look on my YT channel for graphs you will see several ancient bar graph ideas/demos.

The OBDIIC&C LCD is 20x4 so we could simply dedicate a single 20 CHR line to the bar graph.
IIRC the OEM display has 8 segments? Someone can confirm how many for each function..

So basically it would change to another screen (with the bar graph) when assisting or regening.
Or the graph would overwrite/replace the bottom line of the data on the current main/default screen when active.

Keep ideas coming. (y)

If we do try to add an external led type display please start another thread for that development so we don't clutter this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dash assist/regen gauge is 10 bars in both directions, which is handy as 10 LED bar graphs are ten-a-penny. I'll start a new thread with some ideas

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The IMA Manual Control PCB Layout is moving slowly forward. (y)

This alpha version is unlabelled and nothing is finalised, but you get the idea.
It's mostly surface mount with just the connector, piezo sounder and programming pins through hole.

The big square outline part J1 is our RJ45 Network cable connector to give an idea of scale.

It's based on the attached final schematic which has a few minor cosmetic changes from the earlier version.

My Insight version of this device is called 'IMAC&C' = IMA Command & Control.
I'll probably call this CR-Z IMAC&C unless anyone has any better ideas?

We are going to hand assemble three prototypes based on this first board version.
If they work then I will start a proper list for those that actually want one. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Peter,

I'd be happy to get one of these & assist with testing.

I've missed most of this as I've mostly been putting Mega-Squirt into my weekend car :)
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Background reading for forum nerds CR-Z enthusiasts. (y)

The attached PDF describes the development of the first IMA system for the early Honda Insight Hybrid.

It's basically exactly the same as the later CR-Z and all the other IMA cars, but the newer parts are smaller and better developed 2nd or 3rd generation.

It gives a very good overview of how it all works. Enjoy.....
That's a good read, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@PeterPerkins I understand why you would want to set the assist/regen to only work when moving but something I have always wanted to know is; how well can the car move under purely electric power, how fast and how far. I'd love to see a video of that!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
@PeterPerkins I understand why you would want to set the assist/regen to only work when moving,
but something I have always wanted to know is; how well can the car move under purely electric power, how fast and how far.
I'd love to see a video of that!
If you get one of these gadgets you can find out for us.. ;)

Testing on G1 Insights and other IMA cars over many years suggests pure EV drive is hideously in-efficient due to the IMA motor being permanently attached to the engine.
You can't decouple it, so you get large pumping loses turning the non functioning engine over which probably saps at least 25% of the power. :(
The IMA system in these early cars is simply not designed with pure EV drive in mind..
Also the IMA motor is not rated for continuous high power use, so would overheat relatively quickly with sustained high assist levels.

The stock IMA battery also contains a tiny amount of useable energy and would be exhausted within a km or two at best..
The 10kw of IMA power might get you 30mph for very short periods..

On the other hand the IMA system is very efficient when helping the engine when required as we know. :)

This ten year old shaky video of my pre-retirement 13 mile work commute shows that judicious use of IMA manual control and a Lithium pack gives a massive increase in mpg.
I would expect the CR-Z could easily be pushed to 75mpg+ with a similar sized pack and sympathetic driver.

Even the standard NIMH pack in good condition and manual control should net a careful driver an extra 5mpg pretty easily.. (y)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Expenses.. :oops:

I've just paid out $1000 which is the cost so far of working up the IMA manual control PCB, ordering the parts for the three prototypes and getting them built.
My own contribution of 100's of hours of time/r&d has been at 0$ rate, so I'm not off to the Bahamas just yet.. :(

Any kind donations to support this ongoing R&D gratefully received..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Peter - been reading about your project for the last couple hours. You're doing the hybrid gods' work, keep it up!
I'm definitely interested in getting my hands on one of these, and I'd love to contribute to your cause funding-wise.
Any way I can sign up for some beta testing and also send you some Biden Bucks for your hard work?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The bare prototype pcb has landed with my project associate in the US.
He now needs to assemble it then send it to me for testing in the car. o_O
I'll start spinning some more plates up in the air..

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Now to test my colleagues eyesight and SMD soldering skills.. o_O

The IMAC&C device also communicates on the FCAN bus.
If and when we identify missing packets for the OEM Lithium pack swap project in the other thread,
we could program this to take care of them rather than the OBDIIC&C display on the dashboard. :unsure:

61 - 79 of 79 Posts