Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately it is owners naively believing everything they are told by a main dealer to be correct that enables them to rip us off. My recently acquired 2013 CRZ had a main dealer service history apart from the very last one, and there is no way Honda changed the filters as they would not be in such as state after a few k miles. I never let anyone touch my vehicles even if under warranty unless there is a major failure.

Others on here have probably pinpointed the causes - fan, or DC-DC converter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sad but true. The motor trade is like the building trade - the majority can be trusted to do the job properly and will overcharge given the slightest opportunity. Call me a cynical old git but been around too long not to have learned many lessons, the best of which is to 'do it yourself ', now much easier thanks to Google, You Tube and forums.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I read about that on here, I just don't understand why the guys at honda told me its integrated. I got the car from them and have loyally had it serviced every year with them so hard to believe they would lie like that
"never attribute to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity" I'm usually inclined to follow this maxim on low-production cars like the CRZ. It's very probable that they simply do not know better and don't care to check.

If you're remotely handy, you can change this part on your own. A capable garage should be able to do it.

This dealer lists the part as available, but about 325GBP. That's a lot more expensive than it is from the US dealers for the same parts.

·
Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
52 Posts
As a former car salesman, you really shouldn't trust the dealer. They're a business and they're trying to make money off of you so unfortunately it is not always in the best interest of their bottom line to be totally honest with you. That's not to say there aren't honest service departments, but more often than not they are willing to bend the truth to sell you services/parts.

I'll also throw in my vote for diy as much as possible. Personally, the benefit of learning more about my car, and cars in general, along with cost savings is enough to motivate me to do my own maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
If the dealer had cracked open the FSM they would have known that fan was not integral to the battery and they could have fixed it quickly rather than all the BS. They saw a female and decided to sell her a car. I bet they also wanted your easy to fix CR-Z so they could make even more profit! I so hate dealers!

The IPU fan is not integrated to the battery... it should be a serviceable part, even in the UK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi thank you all so much for your help you have been great and a real support as I am currently stuck 260 miles from my home until I get this car situation sorted.

I didnt really want to get another car but my circumstances changed. I went from working in the city, to moving away to a very rural part of the uk and then had a baby so the crz isn't practical for country living and a baby. This along with the scare of the IMA light and being stuck away from home made me make the painful decision to change cars.

It wasnt the dealer who wanted me to get a new car, they just wanted me to get a new battery for cost of 2k which was going to cost the same money plus part exchange for a slightly newer more practical car, I made the decision to get another car then I am done with all the battery BS. I will be calling the dealer out about what I have learnt about the IPU fan but kinds feel I will be wasting my breath.

If I was handy with cars I'd do it myself as a few of you have mentioned is the best way.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Any shop can install that fan. But I understand the situation and feel bad a dealer is so stupid to not fix an easy problem and get a customer for life. If you only have one child the CR-Z is still a great car.

Do you have a handy Hubby or friend? It really is easy to replace that fan.

You have to change cars due to less than $300 in parts and a few hours of labor. I would definitely talk to the dealer's ownership and maybe they will do the right thing and fix the fan. Once you are done with all this maybe you can write a letter to someone in the media and explain the situation so that that dealership loses more than your business.

Do we have any members out near her who can assist her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cant thank you enough for your support. If I was at home back in Cornwall I would have been in a better position to sort it but I am visiting my mum nearer London and my partner is back in Cornwall. I was only supposed to be visiting for a week when I broke down on the way here.

I did manage for nearly 2 years having my boy in the crz but I found that I had to slot the pushchair down to the back seat through the boot. Also no one could sit in the front as the seat has to be quite far forward in order to accommodate the baby seat. Also where I live is very rural and there are quarries near by so there are aggregate lorries driving down small country lanes and the car gets dusty and dirty, it's too nice a car for country living. Trust me it was a painful decision to part exchange my lovely crz but the deal is done.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
I was sad when i had to change cars too after i got stranded 2 times. One time was an expensive tow from where I was to a good shop I knew so i do understand. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was driving home tonight, and suddenly my dash lit right up, check engine lights, IMA light, and the information display reading "check IMA". Battery and assist/charge display indicators are also out. I can feel the electric motor is no longer assisting.

In addition, my key no longer works to unlock/lock the car, and the key has to be in the ignition and on for the hatch to open.

All of this happened at once. Any thoughts? I checked the regular battery - 12.7V while off, no draw, and alternator is charging.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Under hood battery common problem on CR-Zs either replace it or have it load tested. I don't care what the unloaded voltage is. Usually though you will get IMA, ABS and VSC lights all together. We have had a few members lately with other IMA issues with only IMA light. For those issues in order of frequency it is usually the IPU fan followed by the DC to DC converter ( or both??). We have not had any IMA battery replacements yet.

The last one was a lady stuck far from home in UK and the dealer kept telling her IMA Battery had to be replaced and that the fan was integrated into the IMA battery and could not be replaced separately. It absolutely can be! She traded the car in. We had another member with un- diagnosed issues with the IMA light and dealer gave a number of $3k without diagnosing it. He sold his car.

The fans have gotten hard to obtain but the part number is listed on this forum. You just have to search if that is the issue you are having.

First step is an under hood battery load test or replacement.

There is no Alternator the IMA motor generator charges the under hood battery if IMA is not working then the under hood battery will not charge. Get that car on a trickle charger ASAP or replace the under hood battery first other wise car will drain the under hood battery dead soon. Car will not start.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Under hood battery common problem on CR-Zs either replace it or have it load tested. I don't care what the unloaded voltage is. Usually though you will get IMA, ABS and VSC lights all together. We have had a few members lately with other IMA issues with only IMA light. For those issues in order of frequency it is usually the IMA fan followed by the DC to DC converter ( or both??). We have not had any IMA battery replacements yet.

The last one was a lady stuck far from home in UK and the dealer kept telling her IMA Battery had to be replaced and that the fan was integrated into the IMA battery and could not be replaced separately. It absolutely can be! She traded the car in. We had another member with un- diagnosed issues with the IMA light and dealer gave a number of $3k without diagnosing it. He sold his car.

The fans have gotten hard to obtain but the part number is listed on this forum. You just have to search if that is the issue you are having.

First step is an under hood battery load test.

There is no Alternator the IMA motor generator charges the under hood battery if IMA is not working then the under hood battery will not charge. Get that car on a trickle charger ASAP or replace the under hood battery first other wise car will drain the under hood battery dead soon. Car will not start.

Thank you! I'll have the battery checked here soon

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Have car on trickle charger when not driving it till you do. Any issue with IMA system the under hood battery is not charging and you get the other issues you mentioned. I am hoping you just have a failed under hood battery but it can be IMA issues as I mentioned.

If battery is more than 3 years old just replace it.

When was the last time you replaced your Fob Battery? I replace both of mine once a year even though I only use one of my two keys.
Your quote just below is what makes me think you have a weak under hood battery.
In addition, my key no longer works to unlock/lock the car, and the key has to be in the ignition and on for the hatch to open.

Thank you! I'll have the battery checked here soon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have car on trickle charger when not driving it till you do. Any issue with IMA system the under hood battery is not charging and you get the other issues you mentioned. I am hoping you just have a failed under hood battery but it can be IMA issues as I mentioned.

If battery is more than 3 years old just replace it.

When was the last time you replaced your Fob Battery? I replace both of mine once a year even though I only use one of my two keys.
Your quote just below is what makes me think you have a weak under hood battery.
Just had the battery checked - guy said it was fine. I'm scheduling an appointment with the dealership tomorrow - hopefully it doesn't eat the rest of my bank account

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
When they tested the battery was the car running? If so then it was an invalid test. Hopefully it will just be the IMA fan. Make sure they diagnose it before telling you $3k

Just had the battery checked - guy said it was fine. I'm scheduling an appointment with the dealership tomorrow - hopefully it doesn't eat the rest of my bank account

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Which light or lights is on? If just the IMA light ( and check engine light) you may have a failed IPU fan or DC to DC converter. If more than that ( ABS, VSC etc) it maybe just the under hood battery has failed. Lots of postings on this forum for similar issues. If you want the forums assistance we need more details about what specific issue you are having and what year your CR-Z is and which transmission etc.

You are responding to a posting from 2016 there are more recent detailed postings .

Welcome!

Si Chowsterr. .... I too have the lights on starting today. Did you fix yours?
steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
When they tested the battery was the car running? If so then it was an invalid test. Hopefully it will just be the IMA fan. Make sure they diagnose it before telling you $3k
Update: I am an imbecile and I am embarrassed. It was a fuse. Good thing I looked before going to the shop.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts