Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

221 - 223 of 223 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Common issue will become more common as the cars get older. As I have stated and others have many times if you get an IMA light by itself you want the code as it maybe the IMA system but if you get a series of lights (IMA, Check engine, ABS and others) that usually indicates a Dead under hood battery. You have two choices at that point either load test ( with car not running most car parts places test for free) it to see if it is worth charging or just replace it. We need a minimally functioning under hood battery as most of the starting is done from the IMA battery. As I have stated many times, it will go from working to not working very quickly.

The IMA system in the CR-Z in my opinion does not do a good job fully charging the battery which is very different from a car with an alternator. We don't have an alternator and the car decides whether to charge the IMA battery or the under hood battery and how much to charge each.

If with the current conditions you are not driving it ( recommended to drive it at least 30 minutes a month(continuous drive)) get and use a charger/maintainer. I have purchased one and I feel better knowing I will not have a dead under hood battery or any mystery IMA or other lights since car sits for weeks on end.

Summary: Any weird issues Load test or replace under hood battery as first trouble shooting step. Second step if lots of dead batteries or alarm going off all the time disconnect the hood latch switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just got my CR-Z about a month ago and the IMA light has come on. I hadn't driven the car in a bout 2 days and last night going out the low fuel light came on, no worries I'll just get gas but no sooner than I shut the car off and restart it the IMA light comes on and is still on this morning.

So I called Honda and was told just to bring it in and it is covered since I only have 2,100 miles on it. I don't know but it just seemed the service associate was a bit cavalier about something that could possibly be a big problem but on the other hand he did say the car may just need an "update" of sorts.

I guess I'm just a little disappointed since I traded in my old Civic Hybrid since the IMA light had just come on after 7 years and 170k miles and did not want to pay the $3k to get new batteries.

Anyway I am going into the Honda dealer tomorrow to see what the problem is, hope it's nothing major...wish me luck!

Thanks for listening :) :(
So what was the problem and how mucb did u paid for it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok you're new here, but a good rule of thumb (not just here but on forums ib general) is to look at post and activity dates. This was posted in 2011 and the member who posted it hasn't been on the forum since 2012, so it's highly unlikely we'll ever hear from them again.

221 - 223 of 223 Posts