Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up everybody? Thanks in advance for the advice and apologies if this has already been discussed on another thread.

I Have a 2011 Honda CRZ 70k miles (just put in a new 12v battery 4/5 months ago and had a refurbished transmission installed from Honda dealer @60k- has 3yr 36k warranty on trans) I get oil changed regularly and do my best to treat her right-

I was driving it home after work last night (20 min drive) and the IMA and CEL light came on out of nowhere. Battery levels are almost full on dash and haven’t been fluctuating to my knowledge. No noticeable issues in performance after taking it on a 10 min drive down the street this morning and then another 10-15 mins tonight. IMA light has turned off but CEL remains. Should I go to an auto zone and buy an OBD scanner? Or just have them run it? If I was to buy one any suggestions on which units might be the best and most informative? Been reading a lot on this forum/ online that it’s probably either a fuse or hybrid battery fan or straight up battery deterioration? Should I not be driving it?

My girl thinks she hears some sound coming from the dash- I thought maybe I heard something coming from trunk area - just really bummed this happened as we dropped almost 10k w parts/labor/ rentals etc on the transmission less than a year ago :( but I love the little car and want this to be as cost effective as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What’s up everybody? Thanks in advance for the advice and apologies if this has already been discussed on another thread.

I Have a 2011 Honda CRZ 70k miles (just put in a new 12v battery 4/5 months ago and had a refurbished transmission installed from Honda dealer @60k- has 3yr 36k warranty on trans) I get oil changed regularly and do my best to treat her right-

I was driving it home after work last night (20 min drive) and the IMA and CEL light came on out of nowhere. Battery levels are almost full on dash and haven’t been fluctuating to my knowledge. No noticeable issues in performance after taking it on a 10 min drive down the street this morning and then another 10-15 mins tonight. IMA light has turned off but CEL remains. Should I go to an auto zone and buy an OBD scanner? Or just have them run it? If I was to buy one any suggestions on which units might be the best and most informative? Been reading a lot on this forum/ online that it’s probably either a fuse or hybrid battery fan or straight up battery deterioration? Should I not be driving it?

My girl thinks she hears some sound coming from the dash- I thought maybe I heard something coming from trunk area - just really bummed this happened as we dropped almost 10k w parts/labor/ rentals etc on the transmission less than a year ago :( but I love the little car and want this to be as cost effective as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
PS the car is registered in CA where I’ve lived for the past 4.5 years but was bought in IL in Chicagoland where I’m from- is it true there’s a manufacturers warranty? I think I’ve read 10/150 and 15/150 in different places- Is this true and will it matter that I haven’t purchased the car in CA?
thanks again

· This space deliberately left blank
2,516 Posts
there are separate warranties as required by certain states. Im not sure what the exact CA warranty is though.

A basic scanner will only pull basic codes - you need an HDS scanner to read IMA codes.

We're finding out more and more things that may trigger an IMA alert... so without the IMA code, it's hard to say what your issues might be.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
there are separate warranties as required by certain states. Im not sure what the exact CA warranty is though.

A basic scanner will only pull basic codes - you need an HDS scanner to read IMA codes.

We're finding out more and more things that may trigger an IMA alert... so without the IMA code, it's hard to say what your issues might be.
I went to auto zone and used their scanner - P1448 (IPU mod fan problem)
61-1 (control unit low voltage)
81-1 (current sensor 2 failure)
62-1 (millimeter wave radar sensor error)

Is what popped up. Seems like the fan is going. Guess I just have to take it to Honda and have them diagnose the issue? Wasn’t trying to pay for that though:/

Also found out the car was originally sold in CA then brought out to Chicago sold and then we brought it back to CA oddly enough. I’m going to try and call Honda and see if the warranty still stands. Again it’s 2011 and only has 70k

Any other thoughts or observations are welcome. Will reply w what I hear from Honda

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
The warranty will vary based on where you are and the year of the vehicle. When I looked at the information I could find I found this chart, but it is for 2015 you may need to find what was in effect in 2011. At this point just replace the fan as @PeterPerkins suggested.
If you fall under the warranty, it will be difficult to get it applied.

Your vehicle is 11 years old. Since you are in CA, it may fall under the 15/150 IMA warranty, but you need to find out what document was in effect when the car was sold. The one attached is from 2015. Talk to the dealer, but I would not be surprised if they do not know anything about the warranty. You may need to contact Honda America or whatever part of the Federal government handles warranties on vehicles (US Department of Transportation?).

PS the car is registered in CA where I’ve lived for the past 4.5 years but was bought in IL in Chicagoland where I’m from- is it true there’s a manufacturers warranty? I think I’ve read 10/150 and 15/150 in different places- Is this true and will it matter that I haven’t purchased the car in CA?
thanks again

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry for messing up the format I’m a little tech illiterate. We scheduled a diagnostic with the local Honda dealer and ended up dropping it off this morning.
Before we took it in, I called the parts department and explained the situation and brought up the P1448 issue. The parts guy ran my vin # and I asked him to run the part I think I’ll need (I J810-RTW-003) to see if in fact it was covered for 15yr/150K. He assured me it was covered for my car and vin and as long as the Honda diagnostic came back with the same issue that auto zone did, it would be taken care of under warranty.
Fast forward to the phone call from the tech. He tells me it’s the hybrid battery blower motor fan and it’s not covered by the warranty…. What??? I explain to him what I spoke to the parts guy about the day before and that he told me it was covered. He says no it’s a different part # and not the same thing and won’t be covered.
So I ask him for the part number he thinks I need - IJ816-RMX 003 (look familiar?)
I google the part and the same blower motor pops up just for a Honda Insight not a CRZ which is what I own. I gave them IJ810-RTW 003 and it’s covered and they give me IJ816-RMX-003 and suddenly it’s 550$

Am I missing something? Again I’m not a mechanic and not the biggest car guy but I’ve been reading endless conversations online and this forum for the past 3 days straight and I’m pretty confident they’re the same part and this dude is trying to fuck me. Am I wrong? Please explain to me the difference if I am because his explanation wasn’t satisfactory.

I’m planning on contacting Hondas head Customer service department early Friday as I don’t see any reasoning w this tech.
Am I wrong on this? Thanks for the time everyone sorry for the novel

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Fight for it to be covered by warranty. If that fails, we found Rockauto has a replacement IMA fan for less, and you could replace it yourself. See IMA Warning Light, CEL, Code 1634 and 1448 for that part number(PM9503). $136.79 shipped to you.

Product Rectangle Font Software Screenshot

It sounds like somewhere someone looked up the wrong part.

IMO it's part of the IMA and should be covered!

I did mention it might be hard to have warranty applied. I am so sorry I was correct.

Fight for what should be an easy warranty claim.

I hope they come to their senses and do the right thing!

Long shot, talk to another dealer, but the customer service department you mentioned is the next logical step. Dealership management is also a place to contact.

Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry for messing up the format I’m a little tech illiterate. We scheduled a diagnostic with the local Honda dealer and ended up dropping it off this morning.
Before we took it in, I called the parts department and explained the situation and brought up the P1448 issue. The parts guy ran my vin # and I asked him to run the part I think I’ll need (I J810-RTW-003) to see if in fact it was covered for 15yr/150K. He assured me it was covered for my car and vin and as long as the Honda diagnostic came back with the same issue that auto zone did, it would be taken care of under warranty.
Fast forward to the phone call from the tech. He tells me it’s the hybrid battery blower motor fan and it’s not covered by the warranty…. What??? I explain to him what I spoke to the parts guy about the day before and that he told me it was covered. He says no it’s a different part # and not the same thing and won’t be covered.
So I ask him for the part number he thinks I need - IJ816-RMX 003 (look familiar?)
I google the part and the same blower motor pops up just for a Honda Insight not a CRZ which is what I own. I gave them IJ810-RTW 003 and it’s covered and they give me IJ816-RMX-003 and suddenly it’s 550$

Am I missing something? Again I’m not a mechanic and not the biggest car guy but I’ve been reading endless conversations online and this forum for the past 3 days straight and I’m pretty confident they’re the same part and this dude is trying to fuck me. Am I wrong? Please explain to me the difference if I am because his explanation wasn’t satisfactory.

I’m planning on contacting Hondas head Customer service department early Friday as I don’t see any reasoning w this tech.
Am I wrong on this? Thanks for the time everyone sorry for the novel

· This space deliberately left blank
2,516 Posts
so the only real difference in these parts is the housing. The blower motor itself is the same, but the insight and CR-Z use different housings to fit the different spaces in the rear cargo area of the two cars.

They definitely should not be trying to install the Insight part into the CR-Z, let alone making you pay for it.

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Interesting that IMA IPU Cooling Unit - 2011 Honda CR-Z 3 Door EX KA 6MT shows both part numbers, but both are unavailable

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Brand

I searched by 2011 CR-Z.

Maybe since a fan is available at RockAuto you can work a deal where you obtain it, and they install it under warranty?

I still say if they prove fan failure it should be covered by the warranty, and they should be able to get a replacement though their parts supply chain. No matter which one they get, they can transplant the new motor into your existing housing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I called the service manager at the dealership. He straightened out the problem and essentially said the tech didn’t know what he was talking about and that the part is covered and will be replaced free of charge per the warranty.
Score one for the little guy!
Thank you all for your opinions and insights! Had I not gotten the information this forum provided we would’ve paid 550$ for part and labor. Me and my lady truly appreciate you all!
Keep fighting the good fight!

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Update: I called the service manager at the dealership. He straightened out the problem and essentially said the tech didn’t know what he was talking about and that the part is covered and will be replaced free of charge per the warranty.
Score one for the little guy!
Thank you all for your opinions and insights! Had I not gotten the information this forum provided we would’ve paid 550$ for part and labor. Me and my lady truly appreciate you all!
Keep fighting the good fight!
Which part did it end up being? Not that it matters as it was taken care of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts