Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
I have a 2011 CRZ and it has been a fantastic car. Recently the IMA and engine lights came on...then cleared however the engine
light stayed on. Upon various google searches, I thought I needed a new battery and that would cost thousands. I began to rethink my CRZ purchase. (I have a history of purchasing new and keeping the car for 12 to 14 years, then sell it.) The IMA light has reappeared a few times and the only correlation I can see is the days are exceptionally hot. (I am not a mechanic--however it was an interesting observation).

I took the car into a local Honda Dealer who gave me the good news that the battery is fine...but there is a fan which is not working at the mid level setting. Low and High work fine...Mid doesn't. However, the dealership recommended another $200 in diagnostic testing before going ahead with the fan because I won't be able to return it if the problem turns out to be something different.

The fan is going to cost almost $700. and there is a 5 month wait for this item. IF that item misses the boat (literally) then there is a 13 month wait. Fortunately, the car will run without the IMA system and since fall is upon us, cooler weather may help. i am happy I don't need a new IMA battery although that is still covered under warranty.

Does this make sense that there is such a long wait for this fan? Should I call around to other dealerships? Or should I arrange for a friend to pick one up when she goes to Japan next month and bring it back?
I ask these questions to have a better understanding as I tend to trust the professionals...however this delay doesn't make sense. Which then makes me question, why the extra few hundred dollars for added diagnostic when we are pretty certain it is the fan.

I appreciate any clarification you can give., Thank you Sher.

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
The fan part number you're talking about is 1J810-RTW-003 -- see if you can find one that's in stock somewhere else....
Even a search on amazon.com states that it'll ship in 1-3 months...I think it was a $165 part, so ask the dealership if they'll refund the $200 charge for the extra diagnosis if they find that the problem WAS only the fan after all. :)

Here's another link of the same problem
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/engine-battery-discussion/65945-battery-fan-issue-code-p1448.html

If you wanted to switch off your IMA battery during the wait for the replacement fan, I'd suggest hooking up your 12v battery to a trickle charger to keep it fully charged since you will be draining it without the DC-DC recharge the IMA unit gives while it's on and operating correctly. The fan itself, is not too complicated to replace, so you might want to DIY or ask the dealership to give you a break on the cost.

· Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2011 and my fan just failed in July. Fortunately I live in California and the warranty on the hybrid system here is 15 yrs or 150K so it was all repaired under warranty. It only took the dealership in Chico CA. two days to get the part. I would check to see what the warranty is for the state you live in as it varies. Something sounds off with what they are telling you. I always say never believe the first person who gives you bad news. Best of luck with this.

· Registered
610 Posts
I have a 2011 and my fan just failed in July. Fortunately I live in California and the warranty on the hybrid system here is 15 yrs or 150K so it was all repaired under warranty. It only took the dealership in Chico CA. two days to get the part. I would check to see what the warranty is for the state you live in as it varies. Something sounds off with what they are telling you. I always say never believe the first person who gives you bad news. Best of luck with this.

Interesting, thanks for the info so I know it’s covered when mine fails. I live in CA too.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello
I have a 2011 CRZ and it has been a fantastic car. Recently the IMA and engine lights came on...then cleared however the engine
light stayed on. Upon various google searches, I thought I needed a new battery and that would cost thousands. I began to rethink my CRZ purchase. (I have a history of purchasing new and keeping the car for 12 to 14 years, then sell it.) The IMA light has reappeared a few times and the only correlation I can see is the days are exceptionally hot. (I am not a mechanic--however it was an interesting observation).

I took the car into a local Honda Dealer who gave me the good news that the battery is fine...but there is a fan which is not working at the mid level setting. Low and High work fine...Mid doesn't. However, the dealership recommended another $200 in diagnostic testing before going ahead with the fan because I won't be able to return it if the problem turns out to be something different.

The fan is going to cost almost $700. and there is a 5 month wait for this item. IF that item misses the boat (literally) then there is a 13 month wait. Fortunately, the car will run without the IMA system and since fall is upon us, cooler weather may help. i am happy I don't need a new IMA battery although that is still covered under warranty.

Does this make sense that there is such a long wait for this fan? Should I call around to other dealerships? Or should I arrange for a friend to pick one up when she goes to Japan next month and bring it back?
I ask these questions to have a better understanding as I tend to trust the professionals...however this delay doesn't make sense. Which then makes me question, why the extra few hundred dollars for added diagnostic when we are pretty certain it is the fan.

I appreciate any clarification you can give., Thank you Sher.

I called Honda and they were all pointing out to the Cooling Fan Assembly PART # (1J810-RTW-003) I would try and look up the part the cheapest one I found was on this website ( 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z HATCHBACK Fan Assembly, Cooling 1J810-RTW-003 | Acura Honda Parts Hub )
I also watched this video very helpful and made a lot of sense on why all those codes were popping up on YouTube here is the link to that (
) I hope this helps you guys as much as it did for me !

· Registered
3 Posts
I called Honda and they were all pointing out to the Cooling Fan Assembly PART # (1J810-RTW-003) I would try and look up the part the cheapest one I found was on this website ( 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z HATCHBACK Fan Assembly, Cooling 1J810-RTW-003 | Acura Honda Parts Hub )
I also watched this video very helpful and made a lot of sense on why all those codes were popping up on YouTube here is the link to that (
) I hope this helps you guys as much as it did for me !
07/08/2020 UPDATE*Ok guys update on the part that I posted of the cooling fan assembly. I changed it and disconnected the battery before changing it, when I connected the battery and turned the car on , the check engine light ,check charging system light , IMA , and battery light went away. The location of the cooling fan assembly is on the right passenger side literally on the right bottom corner of the trunk . You won’t be able to see it Because you need to remove the spare tire , take off the black board that hides the spare tire , take the spare tire out as well as the left and right sides styrofoams . Pop the panel where the trunk latch is located then begin to pull the Clips out of the right panel “passenger side “and the cooling fan assembly will be located near the passenger tail light Remove the 3 bolts securing it as well as the white Wire harness connected to the cooling fan assembly you will need a 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts . Then replace the part and put everythingback together following these steps in reverse order I hope this helps you guys AGAIN my IMA Light, CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM Light , check engine light , and battery light all went away * 07/08/2020 UPDATE*****

· Registered
610 Posts
07/08/2020 UPDATE*Ok guys update on the part that I posted of the cooling fan assembly. I changed it and disconnected the battery before changing it, when I connected the battery and turned the car on , the check engine light ,check charging system light , IMA , and battery light went away. The location of the cooling fan assembly is on the right passenger side literally on the right bottom corner of the trunk . You won’t be able to see it Because you need to remove the spare tire , take off the black board that hides the spare tire , take the spare tire out as well as the left and right sides styrofoams . Pop the panel where the trunk latch is located then begin to pull the Clips out of the right panel “passenger side “and the cooling fan assembly will be located near the passenger tail light Remove the 3 bolts securing it as well as the white Wire harness connected to the cooling fan assembly you will need a 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts . Then replace the part and put everythingback together following these steps in reverse order I hope this helps you guys AGAIN my IMA Light, CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM Light , check engine light , and battery light all went away 07/08/2020 UPDATE****
Congrats ! You are luckily that you didn’t have to replace #53 IMA fuse like my case below when I was replacing my buddy’s IPU fan:

· Registered
3 Posts
I am in desperate need of a new IMA Battery Fan, I got the warning on my dash about 8 months ago but have just been ignoring it since I haven't been able to find a mechanic willing to fix it. Finally I just decided to do it myself, but I cant find the part (1J810-RTW-003) ANYWHERE. Its out of stock, sold out or discontinued. Does anyone know where I might be able to order one?
[table]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/table]

· Registered
3 Posts
Or any of the online parts places. There are a number of threads on that fan including one by @PeterPerkins where he was looking for a way to fab a replacement up. I have merged your thread with the existing thread.

Hey thanks! This is my first time using the forum so I wasn't sure how to find related threads. Every single online parts place I've checked has refunded my order because the part is out of stock. Any ideas of where else to look?

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
There is another part number I have seen but not sure where I saw it it was not labeled the same and had less details about it. it was mentioned by me in one of the many threads on that fan. No longer listed on any site I have used in the past. Good luck finding one.

· Registered
2015 PWP Base MT
77 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Is this warranty still the case? I went on Hondas website today and it looks like they may have changed it to7/70k? Or was I looking in wrong place? I have an 11 CRZ w 70k miles and live in CA. Got the 1448 code today. Ima light and CEL came on 2 days ago but IMA went off yesterday and only CEL remains. My original warranty booklet that came w the car says 15/150k but the website I saw today said 7/70k. Thanks

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Warranty varies as to where you are and the year of the car. Even if you are under the IMA warranty, you will need to fight with the dealers to get it applied.

The attached was what I found when I researched the warranty, but it was for 2015. Find the appropriate one for your year.

Is this warranty still the case? I went on Hondas website today and it looks like they may have changed it to7/70k? Or was I looking in wrong place? I have an 11 CRZ w 70k miles and live in CA. Got the 1448 code today. Ima light and CEL came on 2 days ago but IMA went off yesterday and only CEL remains. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts