Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My name is Francisco.
My first car was a Black 89 CR-X Si.. I owned it in 1997, I owned mod civics until 2002. I sold my glorious civic hatchback in order to finish college without having to work full time. I started my career and I have been leasing expensive cars for almost 20 years.
3 years ago I moved out of the USA for a work opportunity, over these past 3 years my view on money has changed. I see leasing as a waste of money. In a few months I'm moving back to the states, I'm going to need a car.. Initially I was considering buying a used car for 15-20k, but for some reason the CR-Z popped in my head and now I cant stop wanting one. I remember when it first came out in 2011, I was a big fan because of my emotional connection due to me owning a CR-X.

I found a 2011 with 70k miles listed for 7k . I dont know why but I emailed the seller and offered 5k. He responded that he would accept 5.5k for it.. It has a paint swipe on the front fender, not bad but if i buy it I would need to replace the fender and paint both bumpers; I dont like cars looking beat up. I know most of you deal with seats that collect dirt because of the material. So I will probably need to buy seat covers. Seems likes it would cost me a few hundred to get it to a satisfactory state. I would also need to upgrade the radio so I can have apple play and bluetooth. With that being said, what do you guys think... Should I buy a CR-Z that needs this type of work for that price or just shop around to see if I can find out ready to go for under 7K?...also, Is there any way for me to know the state of the battery?...I dont want to buy one and then need to change the battery..

How easy are the CR-Z to work on? I'm assuming easy since its a Honda. My friends and I swapped the engine on my 94 Si hatch to a SiR motor, I know a lil bit about working on cars, but I'm rusty I havent done any work on cars for a long time.

What is the best advise you can offer someone looking to buy a CR-Z.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
There have been many threads on this. There was no reason to create yet another thread. Best thing to do is drive a few of them as they are all individuals and have had different lives. Treat it as you would any other used car purchase drive it, check it out, have a mechanic check it out, test all functions especially the Modes and IMA make sure it charges and discharges and works in all modes. Any warning lights don't buy it. Find the best example you can.

This is a rare Niche low production car discontinued in 2016 if you really want one you will be forced to possibly go far to find the exact one you want to own.

Your seller is asking too much for a 2011in that condition. Read on https://www.kbb.com/ or NADA Values | Used Car Values | Car Book Values and be honest about the condition and what it should retail for .

Do not get emotional and be prepared to walk away at any time. You never should have made him an offer without seeing the car in person first. You have given away your bargaining power. See my many postings about how to buy a car.

Only one member here has had to replace the IMA battery. See @PeterPerkins postings for things you can do to extend life or replace the batteries. For the most part you can forget it is a hybrid.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
I just reread your posting. You will have bumpers repainted but replace fender? The fender has a VIN number on it. If possible you want to keep the original parts as much as possible. if you are having paint work done by a good shop have all the affected parts painted once they are prepared properly. The plastic bumpers require special techniques to paint. The metal parts are easier. You need a good shop with modern technology and skills for a good job.

The more damage the less you offer him if it has known damage then the price he is asking is way out of line for a car with damage. A car with damage indicates not well taken care of. It is not the damage I would be concerned with but the overall maintenance history of the car and how the previous owner cared for it. Better to find another example. I hope it is not a Base at that price.

As for the upholstery, yes you can get Clazzio seat covers but I have never had a problem cleaning my seats with my Bissel Pro Heat carpet cleaner hand tool and a some time to allow them to dry. Then I used NeverWet Consumer Products | Rain, Footwear, Fabric & Other Liquid Repelling Treatments bought at https://www.walmart.com/ip/RUST-OLEUM-278146-NeverWet-R-Fabric-Spray-Clear-11-oz/39528837 for $5 a bottle on clearance and I have not had a staining issue since but I have owned mine since new and am not a smoker.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
If its a base model then someone went through the trouble of changing out at least 3 of the center console pieces to the EX chrome. Other things to look for: subwoofer in trunk, pedal covers or just running the VIN.

Yes they're easy to work on for the most part. If you've done an engine swap you can work on the CR-Z.

Replacing the seat fabric is simple enough, I've replaced the seat cushion covers on mine (OEM for OEM doing the hog-ring thing).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have time, so I'm going to take my time and find the right one...in reality I would be much happier with a red or white one in good condition. I know I may have to look a little further because its tougher to find them in good condition at a reasonable price in the north east...

· Registered
6 Posts
I have time, so I'm going to take my time and find the right one...in reality I would be much happier with a red or white one in good condition. I know I may have to look a little further because its tougher to find them in good condition at a reasonable price in the north east...
I have a 2011 loaded model ex w nav standard that has a minor bumper blemish from bumping into a tree rear and ive replaced the nicad battery with another from salvage thats in good condition.. Im in oklahoma no rust and its been babied its whole life. Wife had a case of pepsi explode inside in the summer heat and f up the seats and some interior has 35kish miles id part with for 6.5k cash....its been smoked in but i would have it detailed to the hilt if your interested... 405-520-7522
[email protected] its that blue teal lookin thing...

· Registered
35 Posts
Hi Francisco, I wish you good luck, I have a 2012ex 6MT and love it, now close to 200K miles with no problems. As for Apple car play, I have an XM radio plugged into the AUX port in the dash. I also plug in my iPhone via Bluetooth so I get my Sirius XM, phone calls, GPS and maps on the phone with audio instructions via the car speakers. Though not as integrated as Car Play, it works very nicely without the cost of the more expensive systems. Hope you get your CR-Z.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, fresh to the forum, been obsessed with the idea of purchasing a CRZ as my next car for a while now. Anything I should look for when purchasing? a good price point to look for? Also, would anyone recommend K20 swapping or just tune existing IMA?

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
If you want to get more out of the IMA Look at all the postings by @PeterPerkins . If you are already looking at a Kswap and other "improvements" then this car may not be for you. It works perfectly fine as is. It is not a sports car it is an economy car with sporty tendencies. They are unique, rare, low production and now discontinued as of 2016. Where you are most are 2010-2012. Do you really want to buy a car with 10 year old hybrid technology where the battery is at least 10 years old? The battery is what everyone worries about but only one member here has had to replace the IMA battery.

You will need to be willing to travel far to find one and as I suggested above drive more than one as they are all used and have had different lives, each one is an individual. Any warning lights or the IMA system not charging and discharging walk away.

If you buy one no matter what the MOT status is plan on replacing all fluids and filters and either replace or at least load test the under hood battery. If Tires are more than 5 years old get new ones. You can pretty much forget it is a hybrid other than driving it at least 30 minutes continuous drive a month to keep all batteries happy.

Go read all the other wants to purchase and other threads here.

Hi guys, fresh to the forum, been obsessed with the idea of purchasing a CRZ as my next car for a while now. Anything I should look for when purchasing? a good price point to look for? Also, would anyone recommend K20 swapping or just tune existing IMA?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.