Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. To be honest, the car is still pretty new so I don't know if anyone has yet had to get any replacement keys made. Your best bet would be to call a Honda dealer and ask to speak to the parts department. They can give you the cost. Since there is a programmable chip inside the key and it is laser cut, I would expect that it will not be cheap.

I did an on-line search to see if anyone has posted any cost information yet. I didn't find anything for the CR-Z. I did find one site that will sell you one of their keys, but it still needs to be programmed and cut for your car at your local Honda dealer. The cost of doing that was not posted.

Maybe someone on the forum has some additional cost information.

sparrow

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here..
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a CRZ's Ignition Keys?
My dealer quoted me $170 for a key that would not have the remote door lock control. they call it a swim/surf key, so that you can get it wet and still unlock and drive the car. I can only assume they would have wanted more than this price for a complete key/remote lock key.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My manual says I should have gotten a "Key Number Tag" to use when I need (hope not) to get a new one. I didn't get that. I asked my salesrep and he said people just lose them anyway. He gave me a number/code instead. How big a deal is that? I'm wondering where it went and if it could be used to make a key to my car!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats just nuts. I purchased, for my SI, a vallet key, remote key, changed the code for the car and all three keys for for less then $150. If I recall correctly, the vallet key was $35, the remote key $50 and $75 to program all keys and the car to a different code.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My dealer quoted me $170 for a key that would not have the remote door lock control. they call it a swim/surf key, so that you can get it wet and still unlock and drive the car. I can only assume they would have wanted more than this price for a complete key/remote lock key.
There are a few places that can cut these keys and program the p-ROM in the handle. These 3rd party solutions will be much less than what you've been quoted. You could also get a 'dumb' key cut that you take into the water, but you would have to lock the drivers key in the car and I'm not sure if you'd be comfortable with that.

My manual says I should have gotten a "Key Number Tag" to use when I need (hope not) to get a new one. I didn't get that. I asked my salesrep and he said people just lose them anyway. He gave me a number/code instead. How big a deal is that? I'm wondering where it went and if it could be used to make a key to my car!!
You can also find the key code on the MyHonda OwnerLink site. Basically, the keys are not traced anymore. The tech punches in the code, and the computer cuts it from memory. So yes, if you've lost the key code or never received it, someone could use the code to cut a key that would open the door. However, the ROM in the key would have to programmed to the car if he wanted the key to start the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was quoted $384 for two additional keys for CR-Z by Honda Superstion Springs (Mesa AZ). I have a non-factory alarm system that requires use of the keyless entry fob (manual unlocking doesn't disarm the system because car locks are easy to pick), so I'm not taking any chances. I know the anxiety my sister went through when she lost hers. I maintain 4 sets of keys - full-size set, reduce size with just the bare essentials, lockout stash that I carry on the bottom of my bag (more for locking in office or leaving them somewhere or burying them under pile of groceries), and a true spare set of keys I keep at home.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check out https://www.ikeyless.com/

You can get the key with remote for $75 and then take it to a dealer or good locksmith and get the transponder programmed, the remote synced (you can do this yourself), and the key cut. I think that getting the key is cheaper at a locksmith but I'm sure it varies a lot. You need to make sure the locksmith has the right tools.

As for a flip key it sounds like you can have one made from a regular key but you should be able to use and Acura TSX 2010 or later flip key. I'm waiting for one I got off eBay and I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Neutron256 - How'd it go? I want to replace my CR-Z stock key with the Acura flip key. Does anyone know if you can use the TL key as well as the TSX key? The TL is around $80 whereas the TSX is about $120. They look the same but obviously "looks" aren't what matters. Any info would be great!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got the key. I was able to program the remote myself and it works great. I took it to a locksmith to get it cut because the dealership flat out refused to cut a non-honda key. (apparently they don't know they own Acura) The key fits perfect, but they locksmith said they couldn't program the immobilizer on Hondas newer then 2009 so I still need to take to the dealer to get that done when I can find some time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.