Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new polar blue CRZ yesterday....had to fly to Wilmington, NC from Charlotte to find the color and configuration I wanted, but it was worth it. Dealers near me had Nav equipped models which I didn't want and few 6 speeds which I did want. Anyway, all's well that ends well and I love my new CRZ. As I hybrid newbie, however, I am somewhat unhappy with the idle stop feature. If I'm at a stoplight for 2 minutes, sure, shut off that engine. But if I'm just stopping at a stop sign or because of traffic, I don't want the engine to shutoff. Sure, it starts up fine but what does this do to the life of the starter? I can't believe shutting off the engine saves any gas on a short stop, and I can see it having a number of adverse consequences. Does anybody know how to "beat the system" and overide the system? I've been operating mostly in the normal mode, and I suspect that it's less of a problem in the sport mode, but I want to take advantage of the other gas saving features of the normal mode. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I remember reading on cleanmpg, or somewhere, how Honda (and Toyota, etc) redesigned their starters on these hybrids so they easily handle the huge increase in # of starts. So nothing to worry about there.
I'll see if I can find the article for reference later.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I havent been in sport when i come to a stop so i dont know if it stays on at that point. The car does auto stop even with the AC on while in normal but i dont know if thats a US thing or just the IMA thing. Will check tonight on the sport mode auto stop and sport mode auto stop with AC.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The starter is only there as a back up, it uses the electromotor to start, so nothing to worry ;-) .
Hopefully everyone understands this concept.

The starter that turns your car over when you initially start the car is different from the electric motor that cycles on and off as you are driving the car. The electric motor is what is used to re-start you car from a stand still when the car auto-stops at a stop sign or stoplight. So there is no additional stress on any components and no need to avoid auto-stops to "preserve" your car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the excessive start/stop has no negative effect on the starter. They actually use a type of starter on these cars which is very similar to the ones used on golf carts. You can tell the obvious difference when you cold-start the car. Nice, smooth, quiet, and seamless. You'll get used to it. Keep in mind theres a 5yr/60k drivetrain waranty and a 8yr/100k hybrid battery warranty. Honda wouldn't design it in a way that's going to cost them a bunch of warranty repairs!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I thought it would only go into idle stop if you put it into neutral?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Then the OP could just hold down the clutch fully when stopped, correct?

BTW Ship, congrats on the purchase. I'm also in Charlotte. Didn't fly out but did put down a deposit for one on the boat today.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

The starter that turns your car over when you initially start the car is different from the electric motor that cycles on and off as you are driving the car. The electric motor is what is used to re-start you car from a stand still when the car auto-stops at a stop sign or stoplight. So there is no additional stress on any components and no need to avoid auto-stops to "preserve" your car.
:yeahthat:

I have 75,000 miles on a Civic Hybrid. I've never even replaced the 12V battery much less any items aside from tires/oil/pads :sleep:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
When i drove the cvt and came to a stop it shut off on me and i was in drive sooooooo:pP: And on the 6spd if you keep it in gear and just press and hold the clutch im pretty sure it stays on, but who wants to hold the clutch for 1.5 minutes at the most.

By the way i did the checks i mentioned in a previous post and no matter what the auto stop kicks in.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Leave it in sport. Then it won't shut off. And I doubt its any extra stress on the starter. I mean, it's a new hybrid, but not a NEW hybrid lol.
even in Sport it shuts off... i did this several times on my test drive...
Chris,
The auto-stop on my CR-Z (UK spec) cuts in whichever of the three modes I'm in.....is the USA spec different? Only way you can stop it from happening is to have the Air Con on!
specs are the same except for a few cosmetic parts...
The car does auto stop even with the AC on while in normal but i dont know if thats a US thing or just the IMA thing.

on my test drive the car shut off even when the A/C was on...

I thought it would only go into idle stop if you put it into neutral?
JnC, that,s correct. If my car is not in neutral no idle stop.
exactly what i was gonna recommend to the OP... just leave it in gear and hold the clutch when coming to a stop and the car will stay on...
Then the OP could just hold down the clutch fully when stopped, correct?

BTW Ship, congrats on the purchase. I'm also in Charlotte. Didn't fly out but did put down a deposit for one on the boat today.
yes... and i'm coming to Charlotte in about 2 weeks :woowoo:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Theres something wrong with mine then, because when i cruise around with A/C on in normal and Eco, it shuts off if I put it in neutral. In Sport, either with A/C on or off, it will idle like a normal car. I have not had it shut off (not that I noticed lol) in sport.

·
Registered
618 Posts
yes... and i'm coming to Charlotte in about 2 weeks
Kewl! Driving? If you have your car maybe the regional forum folks in town can have a mini GTG. Although two weeks from now (9/10-11) I'm attending a car gathering out of town.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Theres something wrong with mine then, because when i cruise around with A/C on in normal and Eco, it shuts off if I put it in neutral. In Sport, either with A/C on or off, it will idle like a normal car. I have not had it shut off (not that I noticed lol) in sport.
i noticed it several times on my test drive... i don't own one yet... but if it did it on the test drive i'd assume it would do the same on the one i buy :rollseyes:
Kewl! Driving? If you have your car maybe the regional forum folks in town can have a mini GTG. Although two weeks from now (9/10-11) I'm attending a car gathering out of town.
sort of lol... we're renting a bus for an event we have at the Time Warner Cable Arena and the Charlotte Convention Center/NASCAR Hall of Fame Crown Ballroom...

and yes Sept 9-12... are you going out of town that weekend??

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There is a page in your manual listing the condition when the auto-stop won't kick in.
This idle-stop thing is not something completely new. At least outside US market. Don't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.