Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking very hard at buying a new cr z ex with the manual transmission. I am not your ordinary individual looking to buy one of these cars for i am a die hard outdoorsman and have drove trucks all my life. I have my Toyota Tundra double cab(bigger truck) up for sale and am looking for an everyday driver of a car that looks good and gets good fuel economy. I do not have a family i work 2 jobs and attended college studying mechanical engineering. I plan to use the car for getting myself to and from work and school. I am a huge bowhunter and archery competition shooter as well and will use the car for going to shoots/tournaments all over the state. I am looking for feedback as to what you guys are getting for fuel mileage and in what mode(sport, normal or econ) you are getting these figures as well as what kind of driving and environment. Also do any of you have any regrets or negatives about the car besides the limited rearward viewing. I test drove one and liked what i saw but i did not get on the highway to see how they did on highway driving. Also how do they do on roadtrips. I have a lot of family about 900 miles away that i go visit usually once a year maybe twice. Thanks for any input from you guys and sorry for the long first post.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dunno, you could get toyota's smallest 4 cyl taco' and still get good mileage and have... what allmost amounts to a truck... lol
Seriously tho this car is great, for your intents and purposes better make sure your bow case fits in the back, you will have to fold the divider down for sure but then I'm guessing all but the most obnoxiously huge cases would lay flat just fine. Storage space isn't epic in this car so its something to consider.
The rear view isnt that bad once you have everything adjusted up, and there are lots of MPG polls to check out for different modes and such. Oh and if your friends are like mine be prepared to catch a lot of crap I went from an SUV to this car, going from big vehicle to tiny car isnt for everybody especially if you really like your truck so think carefully about it. I'm going to miss the ocasional mud trip but might find some autoX to make up the difference :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had a lot of people ask me if i was feeling ok and everyone is surprised im sellin my tundra. My biggest concern is really how it will hold up doing 80 mph for 12 hours straight minus the fillups across rolling hills and a few mountain ranges in montana to eastern south dakota. I have heard about the batter wearing down under loads of power and wonder how well it will make it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
80 mph... yeah I forgot about the highway detail... I live in and endless maze of 55 mph roads so I don't think about the interstate mileage much but its a good point cuz its kinda low. The thing is, although the gearing allows for some great acceleration out of a 1.5 liter motor its also pretty high for 75+ mph zones, some people are more familiar than me with the exact numbers but 80 MPH takes about 3500 RPMs even in 6th gear, and thats not ummm, the sweet spot, per se, of this motor as far as MPG is concerned. I think people driving under those conditions still get in the 30's for average MPG (need input from freeway fighters) but not the 40+ MPG that those of us going for 100 mile sprints through 55 mph land can get. I don't think you'd have troubles with the battery going dead unless you climbed a mountain, and even if you did it would more than recharge on the trip down...
But you definatly need some more specific input from people who regularily drive in 70+ mph zones because I know their average MPG is considerably less.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Worrying about the battery 'wearing down' indicates (to me) that you are at the right place for answers. There are a lot of threads for you to read, but essentially, the battery is designed to discharge to provide assist to the gas engine, and re-charge itself constantly when there is less load and under braking. IMO, it's a lot like a rubber band that is stretching (charging) and snapping back (assisting). The difference here is that the energy needed to 'stretch' the rubber band is 'free' cause you were going to send it up as heat and brake dust otherwise.

Many have posted that efficiency of the CR-Z system falls off rapidly as you go faster. 80 MPH will use a lot more gas than settling in at 65-70 MPH. Then again, it must also be true for your truck, so the gains and losses should be relative.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I had my CRZ going an average of 80-90 today in the desert road ups n downs and winding and boy did I give her a working. About a good 45 min running hard. Even peddle to the medal at 123mph. It's a dead road barley cars out this way. So don't worry no1 to crash into but kill myself if I flipped over or something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worrying about the battery 'wearing down' indicates (to me) that you are at the right place for answers. There are a lot of threads for you to read, but essentially, the battery is designed to discharge to provide assist to the gas engine, and re-charge itself constantly when there is less load and under braking. IMO, it's a lot like a rubber band that is stretching (charging) and snapping back (assisting). The difference here is that the energy needed to 'stretch' the rubber band is 'free' cause you were going to send it up as heat and brake dust otherwise.

Many have posted that efficiency of the CR-Z system falls off rapidly as you go faster. 80 MPH will use a lot more gas than settling in at 65-70 MPH. Then again, it must also be true for your truck, so the gains and losses should be relative.
Sounds crazy but i got my best winter interstate mileage in my tundra doing 87 across wyoming with the cruise set. I think it is because it is underpowered with the bigger tires and the 4 speed transmission in the big cab. I will say i keep over 75 on most trips cuz when you go that far for that long time is valueable for me going back to see family especially if i have only a couple days to be home. That and i can be slightly impatient when driving a quarter of the way across country.

On a side note does the battery only charge during braking? If i have the cruise set on the interstate braking is kept at a minimum so im wondering if it would charge much of if it charges just by driving and not just by braking?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand the discharge i wasn't sure how it charged back up again. I thought i was reading that it charged back up under braking meaning that you would have to apply the brakes for it to charge back up, which in the case of driving cross-country you use very little braking on the interstate.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I understand the discharge i wasn't sure how it charged back up again. I thought i was reading that it charged back up under braking meaning that you would have to apply the brakes for it to charge back up, which in the case of driving cross-country you use very little braking on the interstate.
Kinda true, but on a really flat road, there is little need for assist. If it's hilly country, it will recharge when you're going downhill or pretty much whenever you slacken the gas. If you're on steady state cruising, I'd think the battery will re-charge as needed whenever you're cruising. So its not only under braking. (you get more/faster recharging when braking though)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kinda true, but on a really flat road, there is little need for assist. If it's hilly country, it will recharge when you're going downhill or pretty much whenever you slacken the gas. If you're on steady state cruising, I'd think the battery will re-charge as needed whenever you're cruising. So its not only under braking. (you get more/faster recharging when braking though)
Right, the assist isn't on all the time when you're cruising, just when you're accelerating, hit hills, etc. And yes, if you use the IMA battery down to a certain point, then start cruising again, you'll see a single bar of charging on the display - the motor will temporarily run as a generator to get some charge back for the next hill or the next time you accelerate to pass.

Also, it's not just pedal-braking that charges the battery. If you let the engine brake to adjust speed (coming up on slower traffic, etc), the car runs the motor-as-generator harder to assist, and recover even more energy.

So there's no worry of running out of battery on a long drive - just what your average fuel economy will be at 80mph. Someone recently posted a link to another forum (hypermilers), where one of the users or staff had reviewed a CR-Z with a lot of details, including breaking down steady-state MPG at different speeds. For the life of me, I can't find that link right now, though. Hopefully someone can hook you up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks atteSmythe. Im not really concerned about it now that i understand how the battery motor system works. It would be good to know ahead of time but honestly anything 30+ would be way better than the 15-16 i get at 80 with the truck.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The CRZ will get you 30+ mpg on the highway at 80 mph, but so will a number of other cars. The strength of the CRZ is is ability to get you 35+ mpg in city or suburban driving and ther are only a few other cars that can do that.

If your driving is primarily highway at high speeds, the CRZ may not be the absolute best vehicle for this purpose. It is not a high powered car and at those kinds of speeds the engine is working hard and you may notice more the rougher ride that results from a short wheelbase lightweight car.

There are higher powered heavier cars that will get you 30+ mpg on the highway at 80 mpg, but those cars will give you less than 25 in town where the CRZ wil do much better. I love my CRZ, but if I was in the market for an interstate cruiser, I would be considering many other cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will second this. I lived in Honolulu for nearly 7 years, and the RZ would have been great there because the traffic on H1 and the H2 gets REALLY bad in the morning and afternoon, and just really bad at most other times. It would have been nice to have it there. Plus the parking (or lack thereof) is awful, so having a small (Mini, SX4, Jeep Wrangler) is nice to be able to just squeeze in anywhere. If you were doing strictly highway miles or autobahn miles there may be better choices. Since I do both, I don't think there is anything better than the CRZ as it can sip gas/autostop-start in traffic using ECON mode, still get good mileage on the highway in NORMAL, and provide good thrills and fun when you put it in SPORT. You can park it pretty much anywhere, which someplaces isn't an issue, and others is a HUGE issue. It looks really cool, and it is comfortable. There are three CRZ owners that I have actually talked to in Kansas City (I am currently at a school at Fort Leavenworth) and both of them owned a giant double cab F-250, and a Crew Cab Dodge Turbo Diesel (I owned a Nissan GTR) and neither of them or myself regret trading them in for a CRZ.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My battery tends to charge if I keep it in normal or econ when on the interstate. I have the Auto however, which gets better fuel economy, but I fitted it with larger rims and tires. 225/45/17's which weigh more and also have more rolling resistance. So I am very happy that on long trips I get between 34 and 36mpg on the highway running 70mph.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The CRZ will get you 30+ mpg on the highway at 80 mph, but so will a number of other cars. The strength of the CRZ is is ability to get you 35+ mpg in city or suburban driving and ther are only a few other cars that can do that.

If your driving is primarily highway at high speeds, the CRZ may not be the absolute best vehicle for this purpose. It is not a high powered car and at those kinds of speeds the engine is working hard and you may notice more the rougher ride that results from a short wheelbase lightweight car.

There are higher powered heavier cars that will get you 30+ mpg on the highway at 80 mpg, but those cars will give you less than 25 in town where the CRZ wil do much better. I love my CRZ, but if I was in the market for an interstate cruiser, I would be considering many other cars.
Good info. If I was in his shoes, I would be looking at the new hybrid version of the Hyundai Sonata. The electric motor can work by itself up to 74 MPH. It was pretty much designed to be a highway cruising hybrid.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.