Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i'm an unhappy American car guy. I have only had American cars and almost all V8s. My new CR-Z is my first NON-American car. I keep hearing about VTEC and I understand it, but how do I know when it is kicking in ? I sometimes seem to feel a power surge around 3000 RPMs ? Is that the VTEC kicking in ?

Thanks,
J

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:yeahthat:

the "vtec kick" you're thinking of is from the more performance oriented Honda's like the Civic Si, S2000 (discontinued), Accord V6, RSX (discontinued), TL, TSX... those are a few of the engines that you WILL notice when vtec is engaged... the others have that eco-minded vtec where the "kick" is smoothed out to feel almost non-existent and is really for gaining mpg while keeping power decent...

·
Registered
579 Posts
here's a video to show what it's like.

YouTube - VTEC SOUND

the point where the vtec crossover engages if very obvious here. Listening to that sound makes me miss my prelude. *lol*

Hope this helps.

Plus, most honda motors that have a noticable vtec engagment sound are only in dohc motors. The zf1 motor in our crz is oh sohc unfortunatly. Ohwell. I mean the sound is there in some sohc motors like TL and accord v6, but to me, it doesnt hit as hard as it's dohc brothers.

I do notice at around 5k+, there seems to be a valve lift or a crossover. It's subtle, but it's there. As bizzybear said, its more for efficiency in our car than aggressive performance.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
VTEC is really noticeable on cars with SRI (short ram intake)...

Plus, most honda motors that have a noticable vtec engagment sound are only in dohc motors. The zf1 motor in our crz is oh sohc unfortunatly. Ohwell. I mean the sound is there in some sohc motors like TL and accord v6, but to me, it doesnt hit as hard as it's dohc brothers.
actually, if you hear those cars with an intake you can clearly hear the VTEC kick in... watch video of 2003 TL-S, VTEC is clearly noticeable...
the best vtec crossover came from the b16b
i beg to differ on that... the older Honda cars didn't have as many chambers to reduce the sound as the newer cars do... once you put an intake on the K20 and that's the best sounding Honda engine produced for a production vehicle...

and one with ITB's for your viewing please :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
The NSX would like to have a word with you on that one.
:hiding:

no but really, NSX aside, the K20 has the best sound...
i prefer the b18c or b16b sound over k20 under wot
B-series was always too small sounding for me... the only one i liked and respected was the B20-vtec (frankenstein engine)... something about the 2.0L and above to me sounds better than almost anything else...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
You should see VTEC kick in on a classic Mini. If you don't pay attention and have your huevos screwed on tight you could wind up in the next lane! There is also about something about putting street bikes and Vetts to shame.

They even make an AWD VTEC Mini.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.