Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to show you the mod I did ... I don't work for the vendor, so please don't think I'm trying to sell it to you.

I got really tired of the CR-Z having no convenient way to mount a cell phone.

My Video Review:
YouTube - Soundgate Mobile M2 Car Mount and Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway in my CRZ

This is the best location I found since I was using the nearest cupholder as a storage bin. The Blackberry gateway lets you stream music to your car without using wires.

I have a CVT (#notWinning!)... so I don't now if this spot works for those with a 6-speed. I know the auto-shifter is not an issue, but 1st or 3rd gear may pose problems. The above video was shot in park, so the lever doesn't hit the phone for those of you with the CVT.

The Blackberry Stereo Gateway lets me pair my phone's music output so it plays through the paired bluetooth when the car is running. The factory phone-bluetooth only handles call-audio sounds; it will not let you stream media.

Soundgate Mobile M2 ($10 Shipped)
Amazon.com: SoundGate M2 German engineered to safely secure your iPod, iPhone, Nano, Touch, Classic, Garmin, Cell Phone, Blackberry, Zune, MP3, or other portable device to your dash, or console: Electronics

Blackberry Stereo Gateway ($50)
Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Video Review of the Soundgate M2:
YouTube - Soundgate M2 Mobile Mount Review

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a few questions:
1. Will this Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway work with an iPhone 4?
2. If it does, if I stream music using Slacker, will it automatically mute when I receive a call and then can I hear the call over my car speakers?
3. What is the best way to connect this Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway device to my car stereo and get power to it?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few questions:
1. Will this Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway work with an iPhone 4?
2. If it does, if I stream music using Slacker, will it automatically mute when I receive a call and then can I hear the call over my car speakers?
3. What is the best way to connect this Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway device to my car stereo and get power to it?

You'll probably end up with more questions after reading this... but I hope this helps...

1) I don't have an iPhone4 to test with, but the issue is that the iPhone4 does not properly support the A2DP Bluetooth Stereo Protocol on all A2DP supported hardware. I don't know anyone with iPhone4 (honestly - we all have Droids or CrackBerries ... because we hate Apple), so I can't test it.

Here's a link that explains the issue in more detail: iPhone 4 issues with stereo Bluetooth headsets? | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

2) My android is able to pair with two bluetooth devices simultaneously where the "phone" support goes through the Nav Unit and the "media" support goes through the Blackberry Gateway. Phone always takes priority over media, so if an inbound call appears then the media stops and the phone picks up the phone (and plays the conversation through the in-car system).

I stream with Pandora as well as the built-in MP3 player... both behaved the same.

iPhone 4 should support this; but I cannot verify: https://discussions.apple.com/message/12387199?messageID=12387199

3)

The Blackberry Dongle uses a Mini USB plug (5v at 500 mA). So you need an adapter to convert the USB slot into a Mini USB port to supply power. Then you'd use your typical 1/8 inch stereo wire to plug the Blackberry Dongle to the AUX port in the car.

This would defeat your ability to use your car to control the iPhone4 though, so maybe you should get a 12v to 5v Cigarette Lighter adapter instead of using the de-facto Apple/USB grey wire in the car.

Convert USB to Mini USB (male/male):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBPNUS

Standard 1/8 Stereo Patch Cable:
Amazon.com: 1' 3.5mm 1/8" Gold Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable: Electronics

12v to 5v USB adapter:
Amazon.com: elago Nano EL-Car-C1 USB Car Charger for iPhone, iPod, MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, PDAs, and Mobile Phones (Black): Electronics

·
Registered
542 Posts
Installed a Soundgate Mobile M2 myself this past week. Mounted it upside down, right over the driver's cup holder. Got it just in the right place so that a cup will fit and the 'hidden USB door' can open fully. Nice stealth position. With a black phone and black cable, it all blends in.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.