Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until I found one for the ol lady when she was looking for a DD. Now there's a 2011 6 speed CRZ and as of a couple days ago... A 2014 with a blown motor (parts car)
I joined because the community here seems pretty chill and the info is second to none.
I'm looking forward to nerdin out with yall

·
Registered
25 Posts
Physical engine, transmission, and IMA motor are the same between the 2011 and 2014. However very big changes in electrical and the IMA battery. In 2013 the IMA battery went to lithium and with that all the electronics in the car changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Physical engine, transmission, and IMA motor are the same between the 2011 and 2014. However very big changes in electrical and the IMA battery. In 2013 the IMA battery went to lithium and with that all the electronics in the car changed.
I'm def going to look into that. Is there any benefit to converting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stronger battery pack, stiffer with less voltage sag under load. Added 5kw to the IMA assist and gave a boost button for S+ that gave an extra boost in power on the IMA for a short period.

Not a straight forward swap as the Engine PCM needs to swap as well as the gauge cluster, steering wheel, clock spring, full IMA battery and controller. Probably the VSA module as well. Basically anything that is on the F-CAN will need to be updated to match.

And if that wasn't enough of a road block the plugs at the PCM changed as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
See all the postings by @PeterPerkins . If you really want the newer technology it would be easier to buy a new car and sell all your current. It is not an easy swap and the final drive ratio on the transmissions is different and can cause issues with the IMA system. No one on this forum has done it. @PeterPerkins has done other interesting things combining both technologies. Read his postings for what is possible and get one of his gadgets. With that and HDS and his postings you can have much more capability in your CR-Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts