Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyper-miling is more about anticipation and smoothness than slow driving. Looking at signals two or three lights ahead in city driving to avoid stops and heavy braking and using your cruise control as much as possible on the highway can greatly increase your mileage over EPA estimates.

In 2008 the EPA made some rather drastic changes in the way they estimate city and highay mileage in order to provide more realistic mileage for "average" drivers. This penalized the hybrids far more than gas and diesel cars. The Honda Civic Hybrid went from 49 mpg city down to 34 mpg under the new EPA estimates. Highway mileage dropped from 51 to 41. Yet many Civic hybrid drivers still obtain the old numbers or better them. This is because many hybrid drivers become self-competitive and learn to hyper-mile to back up their mleage claims.

As I stated (okay, bragged) in another mileage post I expect to routinely average 50 mpg or better with the CR-Z and wouldn't be surprised at an occasional tank getting 70 mpg. (Two guys in New Jersey driving a Ford Fusion Hybrid got a certified 72 mpg on one tank of gas.)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I can coast to lights and limit AC use but accelerating under 1.5k RPM's as recommended isn't my cup of tea. Neither is staying under the limit :eek:

I always try to limit mechanical braking in my current hybrid since reliance on the regenative slow downs extends pad & rotor life. About all I'll do. 40-42 mpg works for me.

Hypermiling is fine as long as said hypermilers keep to the right:grin:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you guys post some pointers for a newbie Hyper-miling? Below is a paste of my daily comute and what I got on first tank on new 11 CR-Z CVT with Navi:
Hey all. Bought a 2011 CR-Z EX-NAVI. Dealer said they were not suppose to start releasing sales until 8-24-10. Don't know how true, but walked out the door at 10 pm with the car on the 23rd. Absolutley love this car. Dealer added alot of options to the one I took. Didn't want them but this was the only one with nav. Options included all exterior spoilers, wheel locks, lighted sill plates w/CRZ in blue, tinted windows, fog lights, hid head lights, up graded wheels and tires, 7 speed auto, satelite navigation ect... Walked out paying 23,690 and this includes 8-120 extended warentee and the gap insurance, also includes a 2500 trade in. The hands free blue-tooth is crystal clear, nav-I am still learning. Very quick in sport mode when using the paddle shifters. Normal mode is as expected, NORMAL. The eco mode is exacally that eco, but on first tank so far getting 41-44 combo milage. Very agressive looking from the front. The ride has also impressed me as I was expecting a much more rougher ride for the sporty CR-Z. Can't really complain but except for it is harder to see out the back than the previous CRX. Plus it still fits in my garage sharing with a full size Ram 2500 and my work shop. Also love how the dash can be programable to what ever you like to be displayed. Enough for now will update later as Honda says the milage will get better after break in... Looking to break the big 50 if I can...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry all ment to post this one:
First tank lasted 447.8 miles. put in 10.5 gals of fuel. First full tank got 42.647 per gal. Computer read 42.4. Usually the car computers are alot more in difference, as in my truck it always reads about 1.2 to 2.0 gal difference, I was glad to see that as I am now reading 48.1 miles per gal (per computer reading). First tank included several sport test drives with co-workers, so hoping this tank will hold out for 45 plus. Will up date again after 2nd tank. Dealer said something about it will get better after "break-in" Anyone know when "break-in" is?? Is it a certain milage? My comute is 20 min. city and 30 min. highway, so not quite 50/50 city hwy..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.