Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday we took off the exhaust, and dynoed with just the CAI prototype from Turbo-Kits.com. and the results were shocking.
YouTube - Honda cr-z CAI dyno
122whp/128trq
Looks like the car must have made some adjustments since my first dyno, bc the results are similar to what it did with both intake and exhast dyno pull. :staffmeeting: ill post the dyno sheet comparing it to the baseline dyno. i think if we would have dyno'ed with the exhaust on it would have made more. im assuming the ecu just needed time to learn. i was very shocked. but it looks like the intake alone gave a 10whp gain and about 8wtrq :thumbsup:.

HERES THE DYNO SHEET, COMPARING THE BASELINE WITH THE CAI ONLY. Text Line Font Design Parallel

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. Can you get a few pulls w/ both intake and exhaust?

Did you not 'reset' the ECU by disconnecting the battery and hold the brake to drain all juice? Seems like that would get it to learn faster.

:hi5: When is this being released?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the original dyno with both parts on was done shortly after the CAI install with little miles on it. We did reset the ecu and the video u saw was that, since then I've added about 400miles on the car and we didn't have much time to swap exhaust back and forth, it was a pretty long day. But I'm assuming a few things, the ecu learned and if the exhaust was on it would have made more power or the ecu is adjusting timing or the airfuel is affecting it, could could need a tune to maximize the full potential of both parts on at the same time. I'll look into the dyno sheets more and see what's happening.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And this should be released along the same time as exhaust, no eta yet but about 1-2 months. But As mentioned Jessie will have more info on ETA and price when he joins.

·
Registered
579 Posts
^ Meh. Not bad. Better, but not great either. I'm not crazy about spending anything over 200 for an intake. But since the crz is new, and parts are just coming out. I'd expect them to be high for the first year or two...unfortunately.

I am impressed with the gains the crz seems to be getting from minor bolt ons. Pretty good for a little 1.5L motor. I'm very pleased so far from these stats and other's I've seen.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a cold air intake! Most CAI are in the 200+ range, I can't even think of one that isn't. Short rams are usually around the 200$ and less.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well the original dyno with both parts on was done shortly after the CAI install with little miles on it. We did reset the ecu and the video u saw was that, since then I've added about 400miles on the car and we didn't have much time to swap exhaust back and forth, it was a pretty long day. But I'm assuming a few things, the ecu learned and if the exhaust was on it would have made more power or the ecu is adjusting timing or the airfuel is affecting it, could could need a tune to maximize the full potential of both parts on at the same time. I'll look into the dyno sheets more and see what's happening.
You're exactly correct in that an intake and exhaust will mess with a/f. It might even detonate a bit. One knock is enough for the sensor to pull a few *'s of timing, which can be 10-15hp. I'm curious to see what it does once it's fully learned or tuned with aftermarket software.

I was told 1100$ lol JK he said it'll be around 250-300$
That's not bad, at all! To everyone saying it's too much, go look at Subaru STi intakes. $500 plus and they add very little power, in fact, the stock intake is good up to ~400whp!

I'll be buying one of these and the exhaust.

Koop, did you ever post pics of the exhaust tips? Forgive me, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You're exactly correct in that an intake and exhaust will mess with a/f. It might even detonate a bit. One knock is enough for the sensor to pull a few *'s of timing, which can be 10-15hp. I'm curious to see what it does once it's fully learned or tuned with aftermarket software.

That's not bad, at all! To everyone saying it's too much, go look at Subaru STi intakes. $500 plus and they add very little power, in fact, the stock intake is good up to ~400whp!

I'll be buying one of these and the exhaust.

Koop, did you ever post pics of the exhaust tips? Forgive me, but I can't remember.
Hey Shatner...

Link is http://www.crzforum.com/forum/after...com-prototype-cat-back-exhaust.html#post18075

We need better pics.... I am sure they will pretty up the production unit though

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hey Shatner...

Link is http://www.crzforum.com/forum/after...com-prototype-cat-back-exhaust.html#post18075

We need better pics.... I am sure they will pretty up the production unit though
Thanks for diggin' that up. Can we get a rear shot, Koop? Will there be an option for a non Ti tip? Not much for the oxidized blue. But hey, they did it right by making it with as little bends as possible. So glad it's not at an anle, seriously. Unless it's needed, it's ricer junk. :angry: But this, this is a nice piece of equipment that I can't wait to get my grubby, burned, caloused hands one one and an intake. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for diggin' that up. Can we get a rear shot, Koop? Will there be an option for a non Ti tip? Not much for the oxidized blue. But hey, they did it right by making it with as little bends as possible. So glad it's not at an anle, seriously. Unless it's needed, it's ricer junk. :angry: But this, this is a nice piece of equipment that I can't wait to get my grubby, burned, caloused hands one one and an intake. :thumbsup:
hey shatner, look up my previous threads by going to my profile, pretty much all the pics i took are already posted, cant really take any at this point bc they took it off this week and sent it out to production :( IM STOCK. also im not sure about the tip options, i'll give him a call and ask. but the position of the tip is did center :). when the final pieces come back i'll have them immediately installs with detailed pics :). and yes i honestly believe this is the most free flowing exhaust out there. the fabricator Sean is one of those guys who likes to maximize every inch of possible power, if you put the stock exhaust and the turbokits.com exhaust side by side you can see how many less bends, its shocking.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
hey shatner, look up my previous threads by going to my profile, pretty much all the pics i took are already posted, cant really take any at this point bc they took it off this week and sent it out to production :( IM STOCK. also im not sure about the tip options, i'll give him a call and ask. but the position of the tip is did center :). when the final pieces come back i'll have them immediately installs with detailed pics :). and yes i honestly believe this is the most free flowing exhaust out there. the fabricator Sean is one of those guys who likes to maximize every inch of possible power, if you put the stock exhaust and the turbokits.com exhaust side by side you can see how many less bends, its shocking.
Found it. It looks really good. I may be able to accept the blue. I'll take Ti without the patina. I'd rather the patina form naturally. It's way lighter.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a solid deal for little coin.

Is the intake made right here in CT where one could pick it up without mail order?
yes, Turbo-Kits.com is located in South windsor, ct. so once its all set and done i dont see why u couldn't just go there. and you could probably also get it installed while your there since ECS performance is right there too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.