Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under another forum topic, a new CRZ owner has posted that it reads in the warranty booklet that the Hybrid battery is only fully warranted for 3 years and starting on the first day of year 3, the battery warranty becomes prorated and does not include installation.

If this is indeed true I think I will be canceling my CRZ order.

Up until now, it seemed that Honda has been pretty generous about hybrid battery replacement. I know one original Insight owner, here in Hawaii, who had her Hybrid battery changed out twice by Honda at no charge. That kind of warranty gave the to confidence to buy a hybrid without fear of high battery replacement costs down the road. I also know that Honda has replaced tons of Civic Hybrid batteries in the past couple years at no charge to customers. I am afraid that they might have seen the costs of their old warranty and have changed their policy.

Can other US owners carefully read their warranty booklets and report if this prorating policy for battery replacement is indeed true?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look on honda.com under warranties....it says 10yr/150k in CARB states (CA and a few others), 8yrs/100k in other states. I'll have to look at my warranty book later on.
What it says specifically is:

3-Year/36,000-Mile Limited Warranty.
5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded
Battery Limited Warranty[1] = 10 years/150,000 miles (AT-PZEV emissions rating). (CARB states)
Battery Limited Warranty = 8 years/100,000 miles (non-CARB states)

See your Honda dealer for the specific terms and conditions of the limited warranties.

[1] Battery pack limited warranty may vary. Please see your Honda dealer for details.

The key word being "Limited"

If the "limit" is a prorated amount that only covers the battery for 5% of the battery cost and no labor in the 8th year of service, then this would be a worthless warranty.

Please someone post what it states in your warranty booklets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the "limit" is a prorated amount that only covers the battery for 5% in the 8th year if use then this is a worthless warranty.
Seems like whether the battery warranty, if limited = pro-rated, is "worthless" would depend on whether the the warranty from other car companies for electric-motor batteries is comparable or better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The reference to the "Replacement Battery Limited Warranty" (page 32) says, "This warranty applies only to replacement batteries (OTHER THAN IMA BATTERIES) [emphasis added] purchased from a Honda dealer....."

That is the three year complete coverage warranty - to the regular car battery!!

The IMA battery is a separate warranty listed in the back under "Federal and California Emissions Warranties Parts List". That clearly shows the IMA batteries to be covered for 8 to 10 years - depending on state involved.

No need to panic!

·
Registered
200 Posts
In the warranty book pg 25 is the info on IMA warranty. It basically says look in the back of the book. So if you look on the very last page...the IMA "Battery Assembly (including all internal components" is 8yr/100k or 10yr/150k depending on what state you are in.

EDIT: just realized someone else posted this info as I was typing it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In the warranty book pg 25 is the info on IMA warranty. It basically says look in the back of the book. So if you look on the very last page...the IMA "Battery Assembly (including all internal components" is 8yr/100k or 10yr/150k depending on what state you are in.

EDIT: just realized someone else posted this info as I was typing it.

Don't worry about it - it has happened to me too! The important thing is to get the facts out there so people don't make decisions based on faulty information.

There is an excellent warranty for the IMA batteries!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to those who researched this. It really gave me a scare when the new CRZ owner posted this information on the battery specifications section. He was absolutely sure the warranty was limited on the hybrid battery after 3 years.

But if I am understanding all of you who have looked this up, there is no such pro-rated limitation on the 8 (or 10) year IMA battery warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks to those who researched this. It really gave me a scare when the new CRZ owner posted this information on the battery specifications section. He was absolutely sure the warranty was limited on the hybrid battery after 3 years.

But if I am understanding all of you who have looked this up, there is no such pro-rated limitation on the 8 (or 10) year IMA battery warranty.

Correct - there is no pro-rating involved.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone know what the UK warranty is?
Warranty | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)

IMA Warranty

Honda warrants that the Honda car specified on your Warranty certificate is free from material and manufacturing defects to the IMA system for specific components* for a period of:

* 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for Civic Hybrid and 10YM Insight.
* 5 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first, for CR-Z and 11YM Insight onwards.

The Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) warranty is in addition to the standard warranty.

During this period Honda will rectify, free of charge, any such defects found on the car, subject to the Warranty Conditions in your service book.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Correct - there is no pro-rating involved.
Could not find it on the site. Do you have a link on the us site.

Nevermind it was in the obvious place I did not look.
CR-Z Warrenty

Honda Limited Warranty Information Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (years/miles) = 3/36,000
Powertrain Limited Warranty (years/miles) = 5/60,000
Corrosion Limited Warranty (years/miles) = 5/unlimited
Accessory Limited Warranty -All Honda accessories are covered up to 3 years or 36,000 miles
Battery Limited Warranty[1] = 10 years/150,000 miles (AT-PZEV emissions rating). (CARB states)
Battery Limited Warranty = 8 years/100,000 miles (non-CARB states)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel for the UK folks who get shortchanged on the CRZ battery warranty. I am not sure if I would consider buying a CRZ with only a 5 year battery warranty.

From what I have seen on other hybrid car message boards, an awful lot of IMA batteries have been replaced between an age of 5 and 8 years. Most of them have been replaced under warranty.

Hopefully 8 years from now there will be a flourishing hybrid battery refurbishment after-market and the cost will not be of such great concern. But at today's cost of $2600 to $3600 to replace the battery pack from the manufacturer, I need at least an 8 year warranty to feel secure and I would think the resale of any hybrid car without a battery warranty will be very low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.