Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have the HPD suspension along with Cusco or other rear sway bar installed ?

After like two weeks I installed the HPD suspension, I think my driver side sway bar bolts probably came loose and I started hearing this clanging noise. I haven’t checked yet. I just started noticing it today. Maybe I should add loctite to the threads or something. Anyone experiences the same thing with their rear sway bar bolts loosening ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
did you use lock washers or lock nuts when you installed your sway bar? I'm about to put mine on this weekend, and I planned to get split-ring lock washers for it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you use lock washers or lock nuts when you installed your sway bar? I'm about to put mine on this weekend, and I planned to get split-ring lock washers for it.

There’s a couple sets of nuts. On the first row, each has nylon material on top.
On the second roll, each is a special made locking nut. You may notice those flanges on the top.

I wonder which ones got loose on my sway bar.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
my guess would be the nylocks. the nylon doesn't hold up to heat very well, and I'd guess it's your passenger side where the exhaust runs...

I'm just talking out my ass at this point though. I've never seen that second type of locknut before. I usually go with a split ring lock washer and back it with an eccentric lock nut instead of a nylock if there's any heat source close.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my guess would be the nylocks. the nylon doesn't hold up to heat very well, and I'd guess it's your passenger side where the exhaust runs...

I'm just talking out my ass at this point though. I've never seen that second type of locknut before. I usually go with a split ring lock washer and back it with an eccentric lock nut instead of a nylock if there's any heat source close.

Anything helps !! It’s actually my driver side but I have a feeling the nylon material degraded over time. Mine was used so I expect that to happen. Well, I can’t wait to go home to check. Each clanking or clunking I hear is horrifying

Thanks for the tip. I might end up using loctite. Let’s see what became loose in the first place. I high doubt it’s the rear shock or top mount bolt.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem. My left rear shock was a quarter turn away from torque spec. Also I snugged all the bolts on the sway bar at the same time. Problem solved

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Found the problem. My left rear shock was a quarter turn away from torque spec. Also I snugged all the bolts on the sway bar at the same time. Problem solved
When you say this.. do you mean the top bolt? Or which bolt was a 1/4 turn loose?

Strange..

I have the HPD and progress rear sway bar. No issues here (knock on wood).

Glad you got it sorted out. I actually run the rear sway with only 2 bolts on one side instead of 3.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say this.. do you mean the top bolt? Or which bolt was a 1/4 turn loose?

Strange..

I have the HPD and progress rear sway bar. No issues here (knock on wood).

Glad you got it sorted out. I actually run the rear sway with only 2 bolts on one side instead of 3.

Whoops I meant the bolt at the bottom of the shock lol that bolt was a quarter turn from matching the factory spec. They even marked the bolt with yellow paint lol I guess I was tired that day and didn’t tighten it all the way.

Yea. I am glad it’s fixed. The Cusco sway bar has 8 lock nuts in total (4 on each side). I think Ima mark them with Cross Check paint so it’s easier to inspect them in future.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
another common issue is that the sway bars contact the rear torsion beam. this can be fixed by loosening all bolts and as you retorque them push the bar away from the beam. ..in case it comes up again
yea, my used one has wear marks from this... I'm planning to wrap some heater hose around it before install as a bushing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another common issue is that the sway bars contact the rear torsion beam. this can be fixed by loosening all bolts and as you retorque them push the bar away from the beam. ..in case it comes up again

I was also thinking of the same thing. I thought the swag bars contacts were hitting the torsion beam as well. Thanks the tip ! Now I will add sway bar to my checklist when I do inspection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts