Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This one was an impulse buy because it was one of the last ones available in Japan. It will only be temporary until I can afford another few major components, then be decomissioned and used as a garage decoration. But it will be installed this week. But what is it? Stay tuned for that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Guessing the box has a mugen rear spoiler. Just based on size, lol.

How is your regen with the final drive swap?
It might be slightly more aggressive but due to how much else has changed it’s hard to tell.
It inherently is more aggressive. By about 12%. Because your final drive is about 12% taller. (You also mentioned elsewhere that you noticed the battery charging faster on regen).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guessing the box has a mugen rear spoiler. Just based on size, lol.

It inherently is more aggressive. By about 12%. Because your final drive is about 12% taller. (You also mentioned elsewhere that you noticed the battery charging faster on regen).
Welp you guessed that quickly lol.

Turns out my regen doesn’t really work right past 1st gear. In 1st gear it’s great but past that it doesn’t work. Discovered that during some autocross days while hauling ass in the slaloms. Currently talking to King Motorsports about a solution and a last resort is ripping the transmission apart to either install a new speed ring or replace the diff again. Oh well.

Rear wing arrived in yellow as it was the only color remaining but the bodyshop guys are repainting it black to match the hatch. Didn’t pull the risers out of the box yet, I just placed it there for reference.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX
4 Posts
How do you like the HPD Suspension? Eventually I'd to get something that's decent for a daily and while being solid for track days as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How do you like the HPD Suspension? Eventually I'd to get something that's decent for a daily and while being solid for track days as well.
It’s quite stellar. I recommend it! It’s affordable too. I like them so much that if I got new units I’d still keep them around, especially the springs! On the autocross tracks above 40mph it really wants to swing the back around while braking due to the rear springs being stiffer than the front, so I don’t feel the need for any rear sway bar. Before you do decide, keep in mind it does tell you to disassemble and recycle some parts from the original suspension. Instead of that I just bought all new stuff because disassembling a strut on a spring compressor is pretty damn scary, and fresh parts are better than worn parts. I think buying the kit and all the parts from the website will be a decent amount under $2000.

Also, I do remember having to wait like a month and a half to get just the HPD parts which was years before the pandemic. So you might be waiting a while too.

Talking to people in Japan, there are three top suspension companies:
Aragosta
Öhlins
Bilstein

It seems that Bilstein has discontinued CR-Z stuff, Öhlins CR-Z suspension was Japan exclusive and also might be discontinued (it was built to order so you might have a chance), but Aragosta probably still makes them. However, you will be paying almost $3000. Those three are best of the best and Öhlins and Aragosta are all fully adjustable while the HPD suspension is not.

Here are the instructions in case you do like the HPD idea: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2014/hpdsuspension.pdf

·
Registered
831 Posts
Turns out my regen doesn’t really work right past 1st gear. In 1st gear it’s great but past that it doesn’t work. Discovered that during some autocross days while hauling ass in the slaloms. Currently talking to King Motorsports about a solution and a last resort is ripping the transmission apart to either install a new speed ring or replace the diff again. Oh well.
The no regen issue is a known problem when you change the FD ratio.
The speed/rpm seen by the ECM doesn't match what the ECM thinks it should be and disables it..
There are quite a few discussions on the problem on here. Not sure if anyone fixed it.
I would have thought an electronic corrector might be possible but I have not studied the issue in detail.

If you want to do some thorough searching and gather all the scattered information into one place (this thread) I might do some thinking about a circuit to fix it.. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The no regen issue is a known problem when you change the FD ratio.
The speed/rpm seen by the ECM doesn't match what the ECM thinks it should be and disables it..
There are quite a few discussions on the problem on here. Not sure if anyone fixed it.
I would have thought an electronic corrector might be possible but I have not studied the issue in detail.

If you want to do some thorough searching and gather all the scattered information into one place (this thread) I might do some thinking about a circuit to fix it.. ;)
That’d be a miracle. Basically all we know is that the speed ring is what tells the car how fast those wheels are spinning. That’s where the measurement is taken. When that value is messed with (new final drive ratio) it doesn’t think it’s in gear and cuts regen. Someone in a thread like 4 years ago said they modified a speed ring and got it to work but never provided any specifics and hasn’t been seen since.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX
4 Posts
It’s quite stellar. I recommend it! It’s affordable too. I like them so much that if I got new units I’d still keep them around, especially the springs! On the autocross tracks above 40mph it really wants to swing the back around while braking due to the rear springs being stiffer than the front, so I don’t feel the need for any rear sway bar. Before you do decide, keep in mind it does tell you to disassemble and recycle some parts from the original suspension. Instead of that I just bought all new stuff because disassembling a strut on a spring compressor is pretty damn scary, and fresh parts are better than worn parts. I think buying the kit and all the parts from the website will be a decent amount under $2000.

Also, I do remember having to wait like a month and a half to get just the HPD parts which was years before the pandemic. So you might be waiting a while too.

Talking to people in Japan, there are three top suspension companies:
Aragosta
Öhlins
Bilstein

It seems that Bilstein has discontinued CR-Z stuff, Öhlins CR-Z suspension was Japan exclusive and also might be discontinued (it was built to order so you might have a chance), but Aragosta probably still makes them. However, you will be paying almost $3000. Those three are best of the best and Öhlins and Aragosta are all fully adjustable while the HPD suspension is not.

Here are the instructions in case you do like the HPD idea: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crz/2014/hpdsuspension.pdf
What a great write-up, thank you so much! I 100% agree on disassembling the strut. Spring Compressors are beasts I don't like to hang around too often.

Again, really thankful for the well thought out response.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What a great write-up, thank you so much! I 100% agree on disassembling the strut. Spring Compressors are beasts I don't like to hang around too often.

Again, really thankful for the well thought out response.
No problem m8. Most CR-Z owners are pretty enthusiastic so I’m always willing to share what I know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Mugen wing is now painted black. It’ll be installed next week! The shop was very surprised with it. They said the paint it came with was very good. And it came with a bunch of stuff not common with the cheap garbage they usually see, like jigs for drilling holes and a bunch of specially molded cushions for each cover plate going around the brackets. They’re pretty excited to put it on!

Ordered some extra parts for other systems from Japan too. Will post when they arrive. It has to do with exterior lighting.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts