Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
221 - 240 of 254 Posts
HPD supercharger should not affect your original honda warranty in any way. However, the default factory warranty for a 2011 is likely expired or near expired.

imho if you're going for a 2011 you may want to consider a JRSC or another FI option as you get essentially the same thing for less of your money, with a LOT more options for post-warranty upgrades.

If you're getting 2013, HPD is imo the best option though substantially more expensive than the sprintex, which is also compatible with the CVT iirc - and also may offer more post-warranty upgrades, but you could possibly also purchase the sprintex piggyback and add it to the hpd-tuned ecu.

Discussion starter · #222 ·
I agree with many of the points made by scrz above, but for my money it's HPD all the way - I guess that makes me a HPD snob. I totally respect the JR kit but the HPD setup is so much more refined and OEM looking, plus it keeps the motor all Honda, which is important to me. The Sprintex kit is certainly interesting, but misses the emotional mark for me for some reason. Yes the HPD SC is expensive, but man I'm telling you that even after 8 months I still get excited every morning thinking about my drive in to work - yes, excited about my commute.... that's one heck of an endorsement if you think about it.

Hey guys can you post some videos of you driving with the HPD SC and with sound? I'm ordering my HPD SC kit either today or Monday. I'd really like to see more videos of real world drivers with the HPD kit. There are VERY few videos on YouTube that I could find with real world drivers (barring track day tests or car reviewers driving).

tacit, for the spacers next to your idler pulley bracket is one of them oddly shaped? i have one that is a straight cylinder and one that is like \/ trapezoidal which i use on the 14mm bolt. im asking because ive had repeated issues with my belt coming off alignment pushing towards the sc and lipping up. one belt got chewed up a bit by this and of course started making noise. my latest attempt (about to startup as we speak) was to just replace the idler pulley bracket entirely. as you recall i rounded the torquing hole during initial install. well im thinking/hoping that somehow in the process of welding the socket onto the bracket it got bent (they did some hammering to it because they got weld bits inside the socket) and the pulley sits weird thus pushing the belt over. if this last effort does not fix my issue (ive changed the actual pulley and that worked for a bit it seemed but no luck; ive changed the belt and also no luck) i just dont know what to do. i dont think my pulleys are out of alignment they all look good. but havent used a precise device. i found it weird that my ac/clutch pulley didnt need any of the spacers but when i checked the gap it was right in the middle of spec. anyways im asking about the spacers because wondering if they sent me a wrong spacer. i dont see why they arent just both straight spacers

Discussion starter · #227 ·
tacit, for the spacers next to your idler pulley bracket is one of them oddly shaped? i have one that is a straight cylinder and one that is like \/ trapezoidal which i use on the 14mm bolt. im asking because ive had repeated issues with my belt coming off alignment pushing towards the sc and lipping up. one belt got chewed up a bit by this and of course started making noise. my latest attempt (about to startup as we speak) was to just replace the idler pulley bracket entirely. as you recall i rounded the torquing hole during initial install. well im thinking/hoping that somehow in the process of welding the socket onto the bracket it got bent (they did some hammering to it because they got weld bits inside the socket) and the pulley sits weird thus pushing the belt over. if this last effort does not fix my issue (ive changed the actual pulley and that worked for a bit it seemed but no luck; ive changed the belt and also no luck) i just dont know what to do. i dont think my pulleys are out of alignment they all look good. but havent used a precise device. i found it weird that my ac/clutch pulley didnt need any of the spacers but when i checked the gap it was right in the middle of spec. anyways im asking about the spacers because wondering if they sent me a wrong spacer. i dont see why they arent just both straight spacers
The tapered spacer goes on the rearward idler bracket bolt, the one in the slotted tensioner hole. The wide end of the taper goes against the tensioner bracket and the narrow end faces the engine/supercharger mounting plate.

Other than what you speculate about the tensioner being bent I don't know how the belt could run out of alignment that way. I don't know if you can get in there with a straight edge, but if you can put something straight across the various pulleys and check it that way?

hey tacitblue, does your car make a gargling/boiling sound when your car is warm and youve turned it off? i think mine has done this ever since the hpd kit was installed, but i recently mentioned it to a friend and theyve been trying to covince me its not a good sound. i was under the car the other day to try to locate the noise. it kinda sounds like boiling fluid but its not noticeable from any coolant hoses. to me it sounds like its inside the motor. kinda like hot oil? or maybe wherever the coolant runs in there its getting hot? i dont think i meed to be concerned but do you know what im talking about? if so what is it?

hey tacitblue, does your car make a gargling/boiling sound when your car is warm and youve turned it off? i think mine has done this ever since the hpd kit was installed, but i recently mentioned it to a friend and theyve been trying to covince me its not a good sound. i was under the car the other day to try to locate the noise. it kinda sounds like boiling fluid but its not noticeable from any coolant hoses. to me it sounds like its inside the motor. kinda like hot oil? or maybe wherever the coolant runs in there its getting hot? i dont think i meed to be concerned but do you know what im talking about? if so what is it?
how loud and for how long? I've never noticed anything, but could do some testing. May be air in the SC oil.

Discussion starter · #232 ·
Hmm, can't say I've ever noticed anything like that. I do hear the normal ticking and pinging of all the hot parts as they start cooling down, but that doesn't sound like what you describe. I'll listen carefully next time I get out of the car...

Placard Placement?

My placard is a little bit curved so I was thinking of putting mine to the right of yours where the chrome stops and the grey dash starts, above the glovebox. What made you choose this location?
Does HPD have a suggested location so all of them are in the same place so you know it is a "real" one? Just curious as I know the placement of the rest of the emblems is standardized.

Does HPD have a suggested location so all of them are in the same place so you know it is a "real" one? Just curious as I know the placement of the rest of the emblems is standardized.
This is basically the exact same thing I'd like to know. Is there an "official" place we are supposed to put the placard?

I keep mine in the glove box.
The install manual puts the placement in the same location as Tacit: on the center shiney bit, 12mm off the top edge and 16mm off the right edge. (step 34, page 41 in the version I have, dated sept 2014)

Discussion starter · #239 ·
Yeah, I wanted to put the placard in the "official" position to match the 001 car. Yes, somewhere out there (in the HPD garage I guess) lurks the root of our family tree. I wanted to be sure I maintined the family resemblance. By the way, word from HPD is that 001 will eventually be sold to the public, I guess after they are finished carting it around to shows and whatnot. I wonder if we'll ever know who winds up with it...

221 - 240 of 254 Posts