Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,160 Posts
I'm a fan of what Honda's HPD group has put together for the CR-Z. As I was looking for images of some of the hardware, I came across this set of pictures. As far as I know, Honda only produced one HPD CR-Z (aside from concepts shown at SEMA). That's the red car that we've all seen. Yet if you scroll down to the bottom of the linked page, someone has built a black version of it. Different wheels, but the rest looks the same.

:drool:
Beautiful!

And as for the puddle lights, I know what you were planning to do. Still the same design? I kinda like the batman ones. LOL

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,160 Posts
I want to install two of them in the rear bumper. They'll project burnout tire marks behind the car. :thumbsup:

I have a plan, but I'm also taking suggestions.
Yeah, don't do the ferrets in the back - it'll look like road kill. :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Disturbing.

Honda Motors must fire Takata Corporation for faulty airbag systems - Torque News

I always shake my head when people scream about firing, or bankrupting a company for making a safety-related error. Like the average person, corporations learn from their mistakes. I'd rather give my money to a company that has made mistakes and learned from them, as opposed to a company that hasn't yet made mistakes. So, when a company makes a mistake, I look at what they do to fix it.

In this case, I have to side with the critics. Takata doesn't seem to be learning. Dump 'em. It's time to give the competition a try and help them rise to the challenge.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The patient is prepped.

Gosh, the wheels are so clean, I might just leave them silver.

Maybe plasti-dip can make the car less blurry.

While I'm wife-proofing the car, I might as well clean up the rear mud guards that I bought from Fred. They had some corrosion texture on the back of them. I was thinking a little Mothers Back to Black would do the trick, but since I'm already dipping things...

This is the way it goes when you try something new. First, you're plasti-dipping your car. Then it's your mud guards. Then it's the handle on your maul. Then your shoes, and your torque wrench, and the dog, and the neighbor's kid... It just keeps goin'. :blink:

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,160 Posts
I somehow knew the dog and neighbour's offspring were going to figure into this!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here we are with one or two coats of Anthracite grey. You can see the center caps off to the left. (Pro Tip: do not step on these while moving around the wheels.) Those are the stock caps from the OEM wheels. They fit the center of the RPF1 wheel. A heavy coat of plasti dip covers the "H" perfectly.

It's difficult to see much difference with crappy phone pictures, but this is a shot of the wheels with about 6 coats of grey and 2 coats of glossifier. Peeling the excess off these tires was horrendous. Yokohama used millions of tiny little ridges around the tire to create a texture effect. I ended up using a scrub brush to get the bulk of the over-spray off.

I masked off the bottom and did 5 coats of black. Then I masked over the black and added several coats of grey to create this stripe.

In doing this, I have learned why Honda's HPD decal does not extend all the way back to the wheel well. (See previous page for pics.) The the gap where the body panel meets the rocker panel runs right through this space. A decal isn't going to span that. Plasti Dip can. However, it sorta highlights that seam.

·
elderly lady
2,835 Posts
Here we are with one or two coats of Anthracite grey. You can see the center caps off to the left. (Pro Tip: do not step on these while moving around the wheels.) Those are the stock caps from the OEM wheels. They fit the center of the RPF1 wheel. A heavy coat of plasti dip covers the "H" perfectly.

It's difficult to see much difference with crappy phone pictures, but this is a shot of the wheels with about 6 coats of grey and 2 coats of glossifier. Peeling the excess off these tires was horrendous. Yokohama used millions of tiny little ridges around the tire to create a texture effect. I ended up using a scrub brush to get the bulk of the over-spray off.

I masked off the bottom and did 5 coats of black. Then I masked over the black and added several coats of grey to create this stripe.

In doing this, I have learned why Honda's HPD decal does not extend all the way back to the wheel well. (See previous page for pics.) The the gap where the body panel meets the rocker panel runs right through this space. A decal isn't going to span that. Plasti Dip can. However, it sorta highlights that seam.
Yay! drag the wheel color from wheel to wheel! :headbang:
Looking forward to seeing the finished results

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The wheel is still covered in "shavings" of the plasti dip that I had to rub off the tires. But you get the idea...

I need to find a good place for pictures. I can get good light and I can get good backgrounds, but not both in the same place.

Also gotta clean those tires some more.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yay! drag the wheel color from wheel to wheel! :headbang:
Separated at birth?

Actually, that was the way I was thinking. Grey wheels all by themselves never look good to my eye. Especially gunmetal gray. They just look like silver wheels with lots and lots of brake dust. But when the owner incorporates that color part of an exterior theme, it makes more sense. At least, to me it does.

I was going to dip the fog light housings the same color, but it turns out the stock plastic is already very similar to the anthracite dip. Lucky me. :thumbsup:

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,160 Posts

Also gotta clean those tires some more.
Great work, and neat idea well executed.
But, if i can throw out a comment (which you are welcome to "throw out"), I think that the other reason the HPD car decal ends at the door, is that it gives more depth to the body. Maybe it is just the light in this photo, but to me the car suddenly looks much higher off the ground. I don't quite know how to explain it, but you sort of lose the underline of the car, so the top of the stripe becomes its proxy. Do you see what I mean, or do i need to get new glasses?

Not the look you want, when you just went through the expense (and pain) of the suspension transplant. Just my $0.02. And not trying to be critical. Show me some more pix, maybe i'm all wet!

EDIT
No, wait, you posted this one while i was typing:

And it looks way better when you can see the black below the stripe.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Great work, and neat idea well executed.
But, if i can throw out a comment (which you are welcome to "throw out"), I think that the other reason the HPD car decal ends at the door, is that it gives more depth to the body. Maybe it is just the light in this photo, but to me the car suddenly looks much higher off the ground. I don't quite know how to explain it, but you sort of lose the underline of the car, so the top of the stripe becomes its proxy. Do you see what I mean, or do i need to get new glasses?
You may be on to something, there.

I also dipped the rocker panel below the grey stripe. It's just black. With a less glossy finish than the factory paint, it disappears a bit. Like a mate finish, the light doesn't reflect off it. So, visually-speaking, the bottom edge of the grey stripe becomes the lowest point on the car.

Do me a favor and explain this to the wife. That way she understand why I need side skirts. :blink:

·
Registered
437 Posts
You may be on to something, there.

I also dipped the rocker panel below the grey stripe. It's just black. With a less glossy finish than the factory paint, it disappears a bit. Like a mate finish, the light doesn't reflect off it. So, visually-speaking, the bottom edge of the grey stripe becomes the lowest point on the car.

Do me a favor and explain this to the wife. That way she understand why I need side skirts. :blink:
I had the same thought as CR-Z Canadian looking at the stripe. The horizontal stripe breaks the visual continuity. It doesn't help that matte black matches the color of the road either. I think that removing the parts of the stripe behind the door would lessen this effect if it ends up bugging you.

Any plans to plastidip the emblems to dark gray?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Appreciate the feedback, everyone.

Any plans to plastidip the emblems to dark gray?
Not sure. So far, reaction to the stripe has been mixed. I may end up making this easier by purchasing the HPD decal then matching the wheels to that silverish color.

Hey nice job on the "side decal" :thumbup: nicely match on the wheels.
Thanks!

61 - 80 of 107 Posts