Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After three years with the car and this forum, I’m starting a build thread.

Actually, this is not my first build thread. Being a very slow “builder” I started with a community build thread. It was primarily tongue-in-cheek, but also a venue for all the other slow builders. Or, as I like to call us, “Disciples of the 10% Rice Method”.

My home has been under construction for what feels like a year. Now that the full renovation is now complete, I have a couch again. I hope to start finding loose change in said couch. That is how I will fund new mods for Selene.

Oh, yeah. Selene is my 2011 CBP 6MT EX non-navi. I named her for the Kate Beckinsale character in the (mostly awful) Underworld films. The car is slinky, dressed all in black, and refuses to play nice with others of its kind. I figure the name fits. Here she is, almost stock.

To date, I have committed the following atrocities in the name of automotive personalization:

Handling
HPD Suspension Kit
Spoon Motor Rib
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Spoon Front Sway Bar
17x8 35et Enkei Racing RPF1 Wheels
215x17x45 Advan Neova Tires (Summer only)

Interior
Clazzio Leather Seat Covers
Gentex Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink
Weathertech Floor Mats
White LED Interior Lighting and License Plate Lights
NRG Carbon Fiber-Styled Shifter Knob

Exterior
OEM Rear Diffuser Upgrade (Modulo)
The “Eye-Liner Mod” in Red
El-Cheapo OEM-Style Rear Spoiler
Custom Painted Calipers and Brackets :ionono:
45% Window Tint
A “Nobody Cares About Your Stick Figure Family” Sticker
JDMToy LED Reflector Inserts for the Rear Bumper (Glazed Red)
Rear mud guards

Functional Accessories
T1R Convex Side Mirrors
Skunk2 Short Shifter
6” Lift Kit by J/K Motorsports

Couple of items from the wish list.
Shifter Cable Bushings
Leather door panels (2-tone)
McGard wheel nuts
AJR lip and side skirts
LED DRLs
Platypus plate mount

For all of my Internet buddies, I will get around to posting more recent pics soon. The shot below was taken in July 2014. For anyone local to the MA area, come on over, drop some change in my couch, and you can view Selene in person.

Since I am a very slow builder, and get most of my parts second-hand, I plan to keep this thread going with random thoughts and musings about automotive culture, technology, news, and other tidbits that don’t belong in existing threads. There are times when I can get too serious with the tone of my comments. People get uppity. I am a cantankerous old man, after all. I’ll save those remarks for this thread.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,160 Posts
FINALLY. Thought you were just going to say you sold the car so lock up the thread! :lol:

As for the alleged atrocities, :worthless:
:)

I think that you've gone about this build very sensibly (other than not documenting it here, that is), and Amy approves of everything you've done. And that's the last nice, or serious thing I'm going to say on this post.

So, now supercharge the b!tch and get going!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
And here I am clicking on the thread thinking you wrapped your CR-Z around a telephone pole. I am pleasantly surprised to find break time reading material!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And here I am clicking on the thread thinking you wrapped your CR-Z around a telephone pole. I am pleasantly surprised to find break time reading material!
You think I'm Justin Bieber or something? Those kind of mods are well out of my price range.

Along those lines, I've always wanted to create a telephone pole-colored wrap. Then apply it to my whole car. Cuz, you know, irony is a force for good.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You think I'm Justin Bieber or something? Those kind of mods are well out of my price range.

Along those lines, I've always wanted to create a telephone pole-colored wrap. Then apply it to my whole car. Cuz, you know, irony is a force for good.
They make wood grain vinyl lol close enough

I had to read the 6" lift part twice before I got it lol

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just sticking to your specifics.
BTW, how is the green bush doing? Surviving nicely, I hope.

2Pac says HOWDY to Selene.
What I wanted was a shrubbery. (ni!)

Thanks everyone. Here's a few images that have been posted before, but I'll copy them in here for the sake of documentation.

Calipers the first time I painted them.

And this is the second.

I never really wanted painted calipers, but someone bought me the first kit as a joke. Had to go through with it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, keeping up with things that I've already done...

A while back, I bought the OEM/Modulo rear diffuser from Scotty. (I like giving unwanted accessories a proper home.) It's a nice faux carbon fiber accent. However, one of the stylistic motifs I've been trying to keep is the color blue. This began with a set of T1R blue-tinted convex mirrors. Any time you view the car from the rear quarter, the mirrors cast a bluish reflection on the side of the car. So, I figured I would work with it.

That led to this.

I took the stock grey "mesh" and coated with a chrome spray paint. I was fairly impressed with the finish. From any more than 18" away, it looked like chrome. Then I used a very light coat of VHT Nite-Shades blue. It's a very incomplete coat. If you look closely you can see the chrome base coat is just speckled with blue. I think I resprayed it chrome then put a lighter coat of blue on after taking this shot. This picture makes it look like a mottled blue.

Here we have it installed back in the diffuser and on the car.

And a closer look. You can see the blue tint is much less blotchy than the photo above.

I already had a set of illuminated reflectors. These tie into the brake lights. Sorry, I don't have a pic with them in the Modulo diffuser. (The blurry selfie is a bonus.) This photo is from when I had them in the stock one.

Overall, I'm very happy with the diffuser. I'm not into murdering a black car. So adding a touch of color in little places works for me. Spraying the VHT blue over the mesh took away a little of the luster that the chrome had. I'm tempted to take it off and respray with a thick coat of clear gloss over it.

The carbon fiber is a nice upgrade. While you can't see the weave unless you're eye level with the thing, it is a darker color than the stock grey that came with the 2011 models.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bryan. With luck, I’ll have a little more to show off next time we meet up.

The couch hath produced wealth! I found a fairly large sum to be used for updating Selene. I have a new budget ~$1,000. All of it in the form of quarters, pennies, and nickels. ($1,000 and not a single dime. Weird, huh?)

I can use this money in one of three ways. Help me figure out which is my best option. The first is to (finally) buy some suspension. The second is go for looks with a body kit. The third option is getting 5 or 6 random upgrades, rather than a single big purchase.

Help Varmint waste his money!

I’ll take any others suggestions. I'm just starting with these. Whatcha think, people?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
So the couch produced wealth, or is providing a place to sleep when you spend money you're not supposed to on Selene?

My vote goes to suspension, but I will say that I am generally not a fan of body kits. The other, smaller things, seem like they're easier to find a couple bucks and pick up separately later on down the road. Do the bigger mod while you have the cash. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts