Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!
Has anyone found a way to replace the factory low beam HID's with LED bulbs?
Is there a way to change the HID's housing so I can install the LED buls?

I replaced my High Beam halogens with LED lights, and the difference is night and day!
Would like to do the same with low beams...

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Other than legality you would have to remove the whole HID system and it would take a lot of work and IMO would be a downgrade but since you are not in the US they maybe legal there. IMO HID ( if you get new bulbs as they dim over time )will be better than most LED which were never designed to work in our headlights. The useful light will be reduced and you will have more diffused lighting with this change. I wouldn't do it but it is your car and you can do what ever you want but why would you remove the superior HID lighting and install inferior LEDs. We have many members on here who have the lower version with the Halogen headlights and most want to upgrade to the HIDs which you have.

Not to mention The HID system is a high voltage system which if improperly modified can cause a fire.

My suggestion is get new HID bulbs in the same color temperature as your LEDs.

This is a trusted vendor here take a look at the options you can probably find similar in your area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you might be right.
The only problem is that high-quality HID bulbs are very expensive, that's why I was looking for a replacement to LED, because they are much cheaper.

I don't have much knowledge of the HID bulbs and system overall.
Should I look for D4S HID bulbs? Will they all fit in my car?

Like this one: 2 x D4S Genuine LUNEX XENON BULB 6000K compatible with XenEco 42402 Xenarc 66440

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Yes, D4S is the right bulbs or see what ordering from the site I directed you would cost with the international shipping. They have standard shipping for free but for international I have no Idea. Contact them and mention this forum. They are the best price I have found. The price on their site is for a pair.

Another source is RockAuto they ship internationally and have a number of choices. Price with them is per bulb. See here:

Only issue with them is you do not know color temperature.

Never ever drive the car with no bulbs in the HID sockets even if they are blown. Can arc and cause a fire. Also never ever touch the glass of the bulbs with your bare fingers. Same is true for Halogens. Your finger oil can cause them to blow.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The optimal color temperature for usable light output with minimal glare is 4300K. When I got my car last year it had Nokya 6000K D4S's in it, I promptly replaced them with a set of Hella 4300K's.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Color temperature is a personal preference. A bigger concern is the quality of the bulbs and how close they match the specifications of the reflectors they are installed in. Our headlights are precision optics and are high quality. Some of the bulbs available are cheaply made and any relation to being precision optics is a fantasy. If the bulbs are not made well and the headlights are not aimed properly all you get is a lot of light that causes glare and does not light the road or allow you to see.

Summary: Big difference between light and usable light.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
The optimal color temperature for usable light output with minimal glare is 4300K. When I got my car last year it had Nokya 6000K D4S's in it, I promptly replaced them with a set of Hella 4300K's.
Color temperature is a personal preference.
Both of you are right here. 4300k bulbs produce the most visible light. Go higher in color temp and the bulbs will produce more and more UV light which isn't visible. However, 4300k, 5000k and 6000k are all very good with very high light outuput. I prefer 5000k. 6000k looks cool but is a bit cold to be usable and is the dimmest of the three. 4300k is the brightest and what most cars came with from the factory, but I think it looks ugly.
If the bulbs are not made well and the headlights are not aimed properly all you get is a lot of light that causes glare and does not light the road or allow you to see.
This is also partially true. Thankfully its pretty hard to get glare from projectors (unless they're aimed too high, of course) because of the way the cutoff shield works. However, it is still very possible to get very poor light output; projectors are very sensitive to any changes in bulb position or bulb geometry.

Getting back on track, a good upgrade for more light output is 55w HID ballasts Keep in mind that 55w ballasts change the color temperature of the bulbs. A 6000k bulb wil look like a 5000k bulb on 55w ballasts. A 5000k will look like a 43000k, etc. These will be aftermarket, so you'll need to do some re-wiring. I suspect that you can use the stock harness to power them, since the CR-Z was also sold with 55w halogen lights, and I can't see why they'd use smaller wires for the HID versions which are 35w. Still, I recommend going with a relay harness. They make everything easier and can be easily made. As for bulbs, I am using Morimoto XB bulbs and I really like them. I got them in 6000k, so with my 55w ballasts I get 5000k light, which is pure white with no blue or yellow color. The bulbs you linked give the impression of being decent quality, but I've certainly never heard of that brand. If you just want to replace bulbs, any D4S bulb should work. I recommend 4300k or 5000k color temp. Just stay away from the really cheap $20 bulbs.
MORIMOTO XB35 HID BULBS REPLACEMENT D4S one pair | eBay They're more expensive than D2S, for some reason. D2S can work with modifications to the bulb.

As for LEDs, the proper way would be to completely disassemble your light and replace the HID projector with an LED one. This is difficult, time consuming and expensive, so I'm guessing that's out of the question. I highly recommend against LED bulbs for HID projectors, though.

TL;DR: There's no cheap way to replace HIDs with LEDs. 55W Ballasts are a good upgrade. For just bulbs, use 4300k or 5000k D4S bulbs of decent quality.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Diode Dynamics is a US based manufacturer of mostly LED Bulbs under their own brand name. This is very different than buying from a company that private brands or distributes someone else's products. You save money because they make the product and there is no middle man. You are also supporting a US company. Go read their history on their web site and they are also a sponsor here. They specialize in lighting for vehicles.

Both of you are right here. 4300k bulbs produce the most visible light. Go higher in color temp and the bulbs will produce more and more UV light which isn't visible. However, 4300k, 5000k and 6000k are all very good with very high light outuput. I prefer 5000k. 6000k looks cool but is a bit cold to be usable and is the dimmest of the three. 4300k is the brightest and what most cars came with from the factory, but I think it looks ugly.

This is also partially true. Thankfully its pretty hard to get glare from projectors (unless they're aimed too high, of course) because of the way the cutoff shield works. However, it is still very possible to get very poor light output; projectors are very sensitive to any changes in bulb position or bulb geometry.

Getting back on track, a good upgrade for more light output is 55w HID ballasts Keep in mind that 55w ballasts change the color temperature of the bulbs. A 6000k bulb wil look like a 5000k bulb on 55w ballasts. A 5000k will look like a 43000k, etc. These will be aftermarket, so you'll need to do some re-wiring. I suspect that you can use the stock harness to power them, since the CR-Z was also sold with 55w halogen lights, and I can't see why they'd use smaller wires for the HID versions which are 35w. Still, I recommend going with a relay harness. They make everything easier and can be easily made. As for bulbs, I am using Morimoto XB bulbs and I really like them. I got them in 6000k, so with my 55w ballasts I get 5000k light, which is pure white with no blue or yellow color. The bulbs you linked give the impression of being decent quality, but I've certainly never heard of that brand. If you just want to replace bulbs, any D4S bulb should work. I recommend 4300k or 5000k color temp. Just stay away from the really cheap $20 bulbs.
MORIMOTO XB35 HID BULBS REPLACEMENT D4S one pair | eBay They're more expensive than D2S, for some reason. D2S can work with modifications to the bulb.

As for LEDs, the proper way would be to completely disassemble your light and replace the HID projector with an LED one. This is difficult, time consuming and expensive, so I'm guessing that's out of the question. I highly recommend against LED bulbs for HID projectors, though.

TL;DR: There's no cheap way to replace HIDs with LEDs. 55W Ballasts are a good upgrade. For just bulbs, use 4300k or 5000k D4S bulbs of decent quality.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
IIRC it has to do with mercury or something, something about the environmentally friendliness of the D4 bulbs vs D2 or some crap. Because they break so often a few molecules of headlight mercury will destroy the world meanwhile all my neighbors cars are ****ing oil all over the place but we must have more expensive headlight bulbs.

OP at least go with those mushimotos Fox linked, not that 36$ made up brand.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
IIRC it has to do with mercury or something, something about the environmentally friendliness of the D4 bulbs vs D2 or some crap. Because they break so often a few molecules of headlight mercury will destroy the world meanwhile all my neighbors cars are ****ing oil all over the place but we must have more expensive headlight bulbs.

As far as I know, metal halide bulbs, which are what's used for car HIDs, don't have mercury. They have metal salts instead. Mercury is used in fluorescent lights, such as those long tube lights in offices. The actual HID capsule itself is often the exact same across bulbs, it's just the base that holds it that changes. I did some double checking, though, and the Morimoto bulbs have gotten more expensive. Last I remember they cost $40 a pair

Also, you shouldn't downplay the hazards of mercury. You're totally right, there's a lot of other nasty things in cars, such as oil, coolant, etc, and they do cause issues too. But mercury is a heavy metal. It's very toxic to life, and it sinks very easily due to its high density so it can easily contaminate ground water, which we then drink.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
Why not Diode Dynamics? At least they are US based and a manufacturer. $60 a pair and a choice of color temperature and if you contact them free shipping and a good warranty.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
Why not Diode Dynamics? At least they are US based and a manufacturer. $60 a pair and a choice of color temperature and if you contact them free shipping and a good warranty.
OP isn't in the U.S, apparently, so I doubt it really matters to him; he'll need someone to ship it internationally anyways. The Morimotos I linked are on eBay with worldwide shipping. Plus, no one is saying to not go with Diode Dynamics, so chill dude. I just recommended Morimoto because they also specialize in vehicle lighting and are a well known company that sells quality products that I'm familiar with. I've bought from them before so I feel confident recommending their products, that's all. I haven't even seen/read any reviews from Diode Dynamics, so it's a product that I'm not familiar with at all and I can't recommend them, nor can I advise avoiding them.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts
If he contacts DD they can probably ship internationally for a fee above standard shipping. My concern with eBay is many of the products on their site are fakes and knockoffs. I am not saying these are that but that would be my concern. I know nothing about Morimoto so I can't recommend them or say to avoid them either. Just because they are sold by them does not mean they are made by them. DD does the whole process from design to manufacturing to sales. I have bought from them and they work well.

I also stated that RockAuto ships internationally and they sell known name brands.

OP isn't in the U.S, apparently, so I doubt it really matters to him; he'll need someone to ship it internationally anyways. The Morimotos I linked are on eBay with worldwide shipping. Plus, no one is saying to not go with Diode Dynamics, so chill dude. I just recommended Morimoto because they also specialize in vehicle lighting and are a well known company that sells quality products that I'm familiar with. I've bought from them before so I feel confident recommending their products, that's all. I haven't even seen/read any reviews from Diode Dynamics, so it's a product that I'm not familiar with at all and I can't recommend them, nor can I advise avoiding them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for the advice, I ordered Diode Dynamics, it costs me 17$ to ship to Moldova, I think this thread now can be closed.

Btw does anyone know if the fog lights on our car are adjustable?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice, I ordered Diode Dynamics, it costs me 17$ to ship to Moldova, I think this thread now can be closed.

Btw does anyone know if the fog lights on our car are adjustable?
Good luck. Out of curiosity, what color did you get?

As for fog lights, as far as I know they are adjustable. The car's owners manual should have that info, as well as how to adjust them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck. Out of curiosity, what color did you get?

As for fog lights, as far as I know they are adjustable. The car's owners manual should have that info, as well as how to adjust them.
I got the 5000k for the low beam, gonna make some comparison pictures alongside my old 4300k factory HID and upload them on the forum.
I have 6000k LED for both high beams and fog lights, and they look too bluesh for my taste.

·
Super Moderator
7,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
As far as I know, metal halide bulbs, which are what's used for car HIDs, don't have mercury. They have metal salts instead. Mercury is used in fluorescent lights, such as those long tube lights in offices. The actual HID capsule itself is often the exact same across bulbs, it's just the base that holds it that changes. I did some double checking, though, and the Morimoto bulbs have gotten more expensive. Last I remember they cost $40 a pair

Also, you shouldn't downplay the hazards of mercury. You're totally right, there's a lot of other nasty things in cars, such as oil, coolant, etc, and they do cause issues too. But mercury is a heavy metal. It's very toxic to life, and it sinks very easily due to its high density so it can easily contaminate ground water, which we then drink.
"HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S which are in production since 2004 contain no mercury, but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types."

That's right on wikipedia: Headlamp - Wikipedia

In fact even the 'metal halide' lamps as you mentioned have mercury. Metal-halide lamp - Wikipedia

First sentence
"A metal-halide lamp is an electrical lamp that produces light by an electric arc through a gaseous mixture of vaporized mercury and metal halides."

They're more expensive than D2S, for some reason. D2S can work with modifications to the bulb.
When the D4 system came out it had the unintended consequences of your very suggestion: people converting back to the older bulbs, which contained mercury, because of the higher price of the D4 components. Which makes it ironic that you say I'm downplaying the concerns of mercury while relaying the same info that led to the slow adoption of the mercury-free bulbs.

It's entirely not an issue for the CR-Z if you're buying/using D4S bulbs as intended (and not telling people that they could modify the old mercury-containing D2 bulbs to work on their D4-system-equipped cars).

You said they're more expensive "for some reason". I gave the reason, was replied to that that's not the reason (when it is) and then accused of being a mercury-apologist.🥴

1 - 18 of 18 Posts