Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you so much.

AT this point i'm almost tempted to AVOID the genuine Honda parts lol. Will look at this, thank you so much! Good luck with your Honda :)
No problem! That’s why we join a forum, to get help and to help others. :)

If you decide to order the AliExpress ones, please post how they are. I would also be tempted to order non-Honda ones. Especially, if you can do the install yourself, it’s not expensive to give them a try.

· This space deliberately left blank
2,558 Posts
So... Here's my thoughts on the AlieExpress ones...

They are a copy of the honda design, at 20% the cost. What on EARTH makes anyone think that these will be an improvement? Stuff on AlieExpress is often factory seconds, or just outright cheap knock-off copies.

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
So... Here's my thoughts on the AlieExpress ones...

They are a copy of the honda design, at 20% the cost. What on EARTH makes anyone think that these will be an improvement? Stuff on AlieExpress is often factory seconds, or just outright cheap knock-off copies.
Yep. Every aftermarket part I've bought in lieu of Genuine Honda Parts, have been noticeably bad fitment/design. Not the CR-Z door latches in particular, but the most recent non-Honda part I had to get was for my 1st Gen Insight. Thought I'd put new brake hoses on all four corners, but the left/front had been discontinued, so I had to keep the old one on or purchase a replacement from an aftermarket source. The mounting bracket had mounting bolt holes which were slightly out of line, so I had to bend the bracket to widen the space between the two holes. After that, it made the bracket sit about 1/8" higher on the body mount, so the brake line leading into the engine bay was rubbing the top of the hole instead of passing through the center--had to bend the brake line to create enough clearance.

The parts "worked," but surely wouldn't have passed the inspection to merit "Honda" packaging. :)

· Registered
253 Posts
Did anyone with a 2016 have an issue with the door handles? I have been a gentleman by opening the door gently for any one that uses my passenger side!

· Registered
2016 Honda CRZ EX-L 6mt
5 Posts
I’ve got a 2016 EX-L and I’ve had my drivers side break 2 times and my passenger break once, drivers time #1 was replaced under warranty but it died on me like 5-6 months ago and the passenger went like 1 month ago so now I gotta crawl thru the hatch, me and a buddy are gonna pop that door panel off and see if we can figure something out cause the cost of the oem ones is too high for me to justify having the issue again (I live in Florida so it’s almost impossible to keep it out of the sun, it’s not if it will break again, it’s when lmao)

· Registered
216 Posts
Did anyone with a 2016 have an issue with the door handles? I have been a gentleman by opening the door gently for any one that uses my passenger side!
My 2016 driver side gave me some trouble on a hot day when it was parked in the sun at work. It was the only time it ever happened. I picked up a handle for when it goes but I am still using it for now. It hasnt presented itself again yet.

· Registered
2011 North Shore Blue Honda CR-Z 6MT
12 Posts
So when we say not to park under the sun, is it geographic specific? Meaning, are most failures in the south vs north? Obviously the south is way hotter than the north. I’m in NY and I’m starting to experience the slow death of the passenger side, but according to carfax, the car spent time in AZ which I think may have attributed to it.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
So when we say not to park under the sun, is it geographic specific? Meaning, are most failures in the south vs north? Obviously the south is way hotter than the north. I’m in NY and I’m starting to experience the slow death of the passenger side, but according to carfax, the car spent time in AZ which I think may have attributed to it.
No, these mentions of parking in the sun are just anecdotal.

If sun/heat contribute then either my door handles were the best made ones ever or I'm doing something different in how I open the door because mine was parked outside all day every day in direct sun for the first six years, every single summer in temps above 110ºF. Original owner of a 2011 and they didn't have any problem until this year so they lasted much longer than many other's.

Plastic becomes brittle in cold, not heat. I think avoiding the sun is just searching for an answer. The CR-Z just has an unusually long and heavy door with plastic handles that need to be treated a little more carefully; which is the entire point of the original post and video.

· Registered
216 Posts
I've had to open my drivers side from going through the passenger side 2 times so far. These were both on 95 degree + days where I was parked in direct sunlight. I picked up a replacement but waiting until failure becomes more frequent or permanent to change out. Hopefully the replacement will carry through the life of the car they aren't cheap and I imagine supply will dry up

· Registered
2011 North Shore Blue Honda CR-Z 6MT
12 Posts
No, these mentions of parking in the sun are just anecdotal.

If sun/heat contribute then either my door handles were the best made ones ever or I'm doing something different in how I open the door because mine was parked outside all day every day in direct sun for the first six years, every single summer in temps above 110ºF. Original owner of a 2011 and they didn't have any problem until this year so they lasted much longer than many other's.

Plastic becomes brittle in cold, not heat. I think avoiding the sun is just searching for an answer. The CR-Z just has an unusually long and heavy door with plastic handles that need to be treated a little more carefully; which is the entire point of the original post and video.
I hear you about the doors. My last car, 2005 G35 coupe, had long, heavy doors and the door hinges could not keep them open. So, if you're not paying attention, they'll likely slam on your shins as you're entering the car with one leg still outside. That being said, the door handles were traditional looking (as opposed to the CR-Z ones) and never had a problem.

I think I'm going to go with the Amazon knockoffs only because I feel that either way they're going to crap out so maybe the the knockoffs will last just as long. At work, I park in an open lot with no shade so I'm doomed either way.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
I hear you about the doors. My last car, 2005 G35 coupe, had long, heavy doors and the door hinges could not keep them open. So, if you're not paying attention, they'll likely slam on your shins as you're entering the car with one leg still outside.
Lol I've had that happen. It's like a giant sail when there's strong winds and it can be downright dangerous.

· Registered
11 Posts
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I recently replaced both door handles with Aliexpress ones. I would say that the quality is nice. I had purchased the Nickel ones hence had to sticker to cover. But there are in amny colours.

Now I use the door handles just to unlock and open the first bit, then pull it from the frame. Hope this will save the handles.

I replaced myself looking at the youtube video. So total cost for replacing both handles were under 100USD. :love:

Honda CRZ CR-Z ZF1 ZF2 2011-2015 Door Outer Handle Left Right Side Assy. 72141-SZT-003ZE RH/ 72181-SZT-G01ZC LH

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I am not sure if this has been shared before, but I found another ‘trick’ to prevent the door handle from actually breaking. The following video shows the use of washers in the door handle mechanism. It might prolong your door handle’s life. Please find the video below (not made by me):

Question for someone who did a door handle replacement in the past: would there be a way to put washers (or something similar) around that rod without taking the door handle out? So only by removing the interior door panel?

· Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A Japanese YouTuber just posted a video with a similar 'trick', as posted above. Besides putting some kind of tape on the plastic contact points on the inside of the door handle, he puts a small bolt on the rod of the door handle mechanism. So the same thing is done as in the video that I posted above, but now using a small bolt instead of washers.

I wonder how effective this is in the long run...

· Registered
2,256 Posts
That was super JDM.

The nut should last but not sure about the foil tape. Once it wears through to the adhesive backing it will likely increase the resistance on the mechanism and then need to go back in and redo the tape. It's an interesting idea. Much respect for the ingenuity and initiative.

· Registered
"Unit 01" 2016 EX CVT Purple
106 Posts
I saw that video yesterday at work. I was thinking what if instead of foil tape, or on top of it, you use a feflon or other supper slick film. I remember getting stickers back in the day to add to the bottom of mice to reduce the drag.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. I am the creator of the video where I used washers to fix the door not opening in hot weather, I have some good news and bad. My washer fix was still working well until this week when the handle broke. It seems the design of these handles means they will eventually fail in some way. I plan to repair it and add steel plates to strengthen the weak points of these handles.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Suspension Electrical wiring

I found this picture on a youtube link, I will add a plate like this to strengthen it. I was thinking of putting a similar plate possibly with a teflon coating on the friction part of the arm and lubricate it well so it will take a lot longer (hopefully the life of the car) for it to wear down to the point it causes problems.

I have recorded everything I have done so far with the intention of making another video to help with this issue.

Other than the bit I have arrowed where mine has broken and the white plastic part that wears down are there any other weaknesses on these handles that I can look at addressing? I personally think my washer fix on that rod addresses the issue of the white bit wearing down with use, a tiny bit of wear there equates to a lot of play on that steel rod, please feel free to comment and correct me on anything.

· Registered
3 Posts
I am not sure if this has been shared before, but I found another ‘trick’ to prevent the door handle from actually breaking. The following video shows the use of washers in the door handle mechanism. It might prolong your door handle’s life. Please find the video below (not made by me):

Question for someone who did a door handle replacement in the past: would there be a way to put washers (or something similar) around that rod without taking the door handle out? So only by removing the interior door panel?
When I put my fixed handle back on I will test this for you and post a video if it is possible, you would at least have to take the door latch/lock off to achieve this and probably the rail that holds the window rubber but these are relatively easy compared to removing/refitting the handle.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts