Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found jack points in several different threads, but not one thread dedicated to lifting the CR-Z for placement on Jack Stands. One should note that this is on a CR-Z with stock suspension, so here it is....

I start with the single lift point from the rear using the tow hook....

Now you can place the two jack stands at the rear reinforcement points just ahead of the rear wheels....

Here is a detail of jack stand placement at the reinforced factory scissor jack location for the rear stands....

Next, roll the jack up under the front section from behind the rear wheel locating the plate in the center of the vehicle at the rear of the engine cradle...

Here is where you place the jack pad for the single lift point for the front. Lifting at this point will necessitate short strokes on the jack as so much of the handle is up under the vehicle, but with each successful short stroke, the next increases just a bit until you are high enough to place the two front stands...

Now your ready to place the front jack stands.....

Here is a detail of jack stand placement at the reinforced factory scissor jack location for the front stands. Note to be sure to place the stands clear of the small piece of metal in order not to crush it....

Now your set and your CR-Z is up on all four jack stands!

Removal from the jack stands is of course just reversing the procedure.

·
CORRUPT
2,352 Posts
Hey the 70's called and they want their jack stands back...

Seriously though, unless you are fine with metal-on-metal contact at the jack points, I would try to get a flat top jack stand. The ones that I use are these:

Esco 10498 3 Ton Jack Stand

A hockey puck on top of each stand works great, so I'd get a bunch of those too...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey the 70's called and they want their jack stands back...

Seriously though, unless you are fine with metal-on-metal contact at the jack points, I would try to get a flat top jack stand. The ones that I use are these:

Esco 10498 3 Ton Jack Stand

A hockey puck on top of each stand works great, so I'd get a bunch of those too...
Item 9 You should see my IPOD playlist!

ARTJDM, I am honored!

·
Red&Black
5,986 Posts
I have found jack points in several different threads, but not one thread dedicated to lifting the CR-Z for placement on Jack Stands. One should note that this is on a CR-Z with stock suspension, so here it is....
I have always wondered how I would get it on 4 jacks! :unsure:

What about people with a rear tow hook? :D Gotta take it off, eh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey just want to say THANK YOU, this is very informative, I been wondering where to place my jack this whole time. Though the single lift point from the rear look really skinny to apply all the force in that one spot... but I have seen others doing it, so i'm sure that is the proper way.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but one question... how high should a good jack go up to?

Thanks..
High enough to get jack stands under there and allow you to comfortably reach the part you're working on / remove wheel / etc. If you're bumper touches ground you've gone too far!

·
Registered
792 Posts
This was not a trick question as I have an old jack that only goes up about 13". I tried to lift the rear of the car at the back where the hook is. At its max (13" high), I couldn't put my jack stands in the area in front of the rear wheels. It was still too low! Am I doing something wrong??? Is my jack just too small/low? If I get another jack, how high should I be looking to go?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
This was not a trick question as I have an old jack that only goes up about 13". I tried to lift the rear of the car at the back where the hook is. At its max (13" high), I couldn't put my jack stands in the area in front of the rear wheels. It was still too low! Am I doing something wrong??? Is my jack just too small/low? If I get another jack, how high should I be looking to go?
The rear lift point is 8 inches from the ground, and the lowest point of the average jack stand is 11 inches, so I can see you're 13 inch max-height jack comes up about a half a foot short. The numbers don't add up, even if you were to build a solid base high enough to place your jack upon to get the height you'll need.

My low profile floor jack raises to 21 inches
(you are using a floor jack, and not a scissor or bottle jack, eh?) You'll have the opposite problem with the front lift point--not enough room to fit the jack under the car, so invest in a new floor jack:
1-1/2 ton or so capacity, with a low profile--mine is 6-1/2", but I still need to roll the car up on a shallow ramp for the front clearance.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
792 Posts
OK... I got a new floor jack this weekend... it was too good a deal to pass up, although I don't know how good HF jacks are. Its a 3 ton, low profile and it looks to go up as high as 19".

I also picked up a Floor Jack Cross Beam to see if it is possible to raise the car higher by lifting up the car using the rear axle instead of the rear hook. Has anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
OK... I got a new floor jack this weekend... it was too good a deal to pass up, although I don't know how good HF jacks are. Its a 3 ton, low profile and it looks to go up as high as 19".

I also picked up a Floor Jack Cross Beam to see if it is possible to raise the car higher by lifting up the car using the rear axle instead of the rear hook. Has anyone done this before?
I was just looking at the box labeled Cross Beam, and thinking that it would be perfect for jacking up the sides of the CRZ, since it doesn't have a side center-point to lift both wheels on one side (my 2002 Insight had the mid-side lift point, and I miss the CRZ not having one.)

Looks like you're ready to get under there and get at it!:thumbsup: Let us know how the Cross Beam works out for the rear axle location, and if you can, check to see if it's possible to slip it under the sides and still be able to put some stands under there too.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was just looking at the box labeled Cross Beam, and thinking that it would be perfect for jacking up the sides of the CRZ, since it doesn't have a side center-point to lift both wheels on one side (my 2002 Insight had the mid-side lift point, and I miss the CRZ not having one.)

Looks like you're ready to get under there and get at it!:thumbsup: Let us know how the Cross Beam works out for the rear axle location, and if you can, check to see if it's possible to slip it under the sides and still be able to put some stands under there too.
I was just looking real close at the underside of the car and I don't think using the Cross Beam on the rear axle or the front suspension will work. However, I think your idea of slipping the cross beam under the sides and lifting it up should work as there are now 2 points to hold the side up, even tho the lift points will be part of the plastic side skirt.

My thinking is that it will take 3 lifts.
1. Jack up one side up to about half way on the jack stands
2. Jack up the other side up to the full height of the stands
3. Then back to the first side again and jack it up to the same height.

I am going to try this sometime this week when I have time (and an empty garage) and see if it works.

Wish me luck!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts