Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy, I've been driving a Z and I've been getting the worse mpg anyone could get. About 27 mpg :/ can anyone guide me how to improve the mileage?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, it really depends on environment. If your daily commute has a lot of traffic involved (start & stops), hills and such, well they are mpg killers. Also, try to shift under 2k rpm

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with Mr. Kenny. It's how you drive it. Even a Pruis burns gas if the motor is being pushed. You ever see those crazy Prius drivers flying down the freeway going 90-100mph? Well I heard that a prius burns more gas than a Porsche Carerra GT when it does that lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
I do poorly in gridlocked downtown traffic, average on the highway, amazing on the backroads. I learned how to hypermile in a civic hybrid, but not all those techniques can be transferred over to the CR-Z (despite having a similar IMA system, it doesn't have a "lean burn" super-Atkinson-highway-mode, nor an EV-only mode you can coax it into).

Nevertheless, anticipatory braking, watching the energy flow meter, easy acceleration and Econ mode mean that I can easily beat the EPA estimates without trying too hard or annoying the folks behind me.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ecomode is somewhat an illusion, and not fit for all the driving conditions. Eco, allows for softer throttle control, good in heavy trafic. If you are to maintain Speed, you might aswell do it normal.

Ideally for the best conditions, its about maintaining speeds of 70-50 Km/h
If you see your instant MPG bar, you'll see that the bar increases a lot as soon as you shift to 4th, 5th gear.

The car is not good for heavy traffic lights, It's most effective at cruising.
If you have too much traffic, you can try softer accelerations ,and get to 4th or 5th as many times as possible. Other than that, those are the conditons for Worse mpg on this car.

At least from my experience.

Like KennyX said, Hills and start stop traffic, are pretty much, general MPG Killers

·
Registered
464 Posts
step one to better MPG (but not necessarily less gas used): avoid traffic and traffic lights
step two: inflate your tires to between car mfr's suggestion and tire manufacturer's suggestion, taking into account temperature changes will change the pressure - also I like having the rear tires with more pressure than the front, until I get my staggered setup anyway
step three: short shift (shift before 2500 rpm, roughly) when accelerating and when decelerating coast in gear (I prefer to engine brake vs pedal brake both to preserve my pads and in case I need to get on the gas quickly) as long as possible until 20mph, then shift to neutral for stop/start unless you're in a CVT
step four: ...
step five: profit

extra credit: purchase a fixed amount of gas ($10) each time you run below say... 1/4 tank. over time, as the gas price fluctuates, you will receive more gas for your money than if you filled up every time.
extra extra credit: run premium fuel for a bit, see if your FE changes. Mine did.
extra extra extra credit: try using that molybdenum oil additive stuff, it's on my to-do list.

·
1,322 Posts
Let autostop happen! The most common theme among people having problems with MPG are thinking that autostop is some abomination and that it should be prevented at all costs. Quite the contrary, if your car is never autostopping, then it may as well not even be a hybrid. This means for your MT to leave it in neutral at stop signs and red lights. Until you are ready to move again, don't put it in first gear.

If you live in a country where climate control is the only thing from stopping you from burning alive/freezing to death, you may want to use ECON when driving around in traffic so that auto-stop happens more frequently, or set the system to a temperature that is actually reachable. Auto-stop can easily deliver a 10mpg difference, especially if you drive spirited all the time, combined with burning gas idling at stops.

Also, the car has a small engine, so if you are doing 80+ mph you are going to take a huge hit to gas mileage as well. A (good-looking) car can only be so aerodynamic, and at high speeds, the IMA motor and gas engine will be working overtime combatting physics. I get best performance on highways at ~64mph and ~40-45mph on side streets.

Check your engine air filter to make sure it is clean. Check your tires to make sure they are all properly inflated, as roto23 mentioned. There are plenty more tips to improve gas mileage, but these should all get you headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
27mpg? thats bad either your tires need air, you need an oil change, change your air filter, or all of the above. the rest is up to u after that. also if u do not have the stock spec wheels/tires that can affect what ur car thinks its doing

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a 2014 CR-Z with a manual transmission and just over 10,000 miles. I have observed the following driving my car:

1. Gas mileage keeps increasing as I gain more miles (very slow to fully break in).
2. Going up and down hills continuously drops mileage quite a bit due the energy lost when recharging the IMA battery. Stop and go traffic does the same thing.
3. The Z uses much more gas when cold. If you do a lot of short drives, your engine will not get up to full operating temperature and you will get very poor mileage.
4. Speeds over 65 MPH drop the gas mileage quite a bit.
5. Coasting in gear to a stop as long as you can really helps. This is the most effective way to recharge you IMA battery. You are gaining energy that would have to be absorbed by the brakes. This also makes your brakes last a lot longer.
6. Keeping the engine speed as low as possible helps quite a bit. The IMA gives the Z a lot of extra torque at the low engine speeds. The recommended shift speeds shown on the dash look like they will make the engine lug, but they work very well. I have found that I rarely have to shift to a lower gear when following the recommended shift points.

I drive in a very hilly area 80% on suburban roads, 10% in the city with frequent stops, and 10% on the interstate highways where the flow of traffic is close to 80 MPH. Under these conditions my average gas mileage is a little over 40 MPG since I have owned the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
wow

·
Registered
452 Posts

not bad for a supercharged crz lol.
Well look at it this way, you could have very well reset that while cruising down the highway. I mean your trip counter is only at 5.5mi not really a long enough period to base mpg off of... just saying...

·
Registered
452 Posts
These the photos we need:) wasnt hating on you, Just wanted to point that out. It completly amazes me when folks get mpg like this. brovo. keep doing you:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I Google sgv\626 that california. So how the hell do you do that? What year, cvt? I drive under 2500 rpm
and get 42 mostly highway

1 - 20 of 47 Posts