Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed out their factory HID headlights to LEDs? The HID headlights are not bright enough. Will LEDs fit in the HID location? If so what all do I take out to get them to work?

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but you will need a way to plug the hole left in the bottom of the headlight assembly when you remove the ballast.

There are a few LED options that fit the d4s socket.
Thank you, so the ballast in on the headlight housing? and if I take it out will the connector fit the d4s LED or will the D4S LED bulbs accept the ballast connected?

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
HID is a high voltage system LEDs are not, so I would think not compatible without a lot of reengineering. Why do you want to? You can get 2 HID replacement bulbs for $80 Replacement OEM HID Bulbs for 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z (pair) also note current law it is illegal to change headlights to LED if car was not built with them.

IMO HIDs are superior to the cheap LED replacements.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HID is a high voltage system LEDs are not, so I would think not compatible without a lot of reengineering. Why do you want to? You can get 2 HID replacement bulbs for $80 Replacement OEM HID Bulbs for 2011-2016 Honda CR-Z (pair) also note current law it is illegal to change headlights to LED if car was not built with them.

IMO HIDs are superior to the cheap LED replacements.

I replaced the HID with newer ones and they are not very bright. It is hard to see the road. I have LEDs on my Accord and they are amazing (20k Lumens)

· Registered
77 Posts
These aftermarket led conversions usually mess up the shape of the projection (not sure how you call it in english). Which means you not only won't see shit with them but you will blind everyone else. I mean, it's your car, you can do whatever with it, but I personally wouldn't recommend change them to leds.

Why do you think the factory xenons are not bright enough?

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
311 Posts
The biggest issue with LED swaps I've found is the "punch through". I.e. how far your lights punch though the darkness at night. The diodes can't be placed in the same spot as the HID arc so it can't focus as much light at the middle.

For a little bit extra, you could do a Morimoto LED projector retrofit and you won't get that drawback. I've done only one retrofit but it was insanely easy. Think a kit is like $300.

· Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
359 Posts
I never needed to remove the OEM ballast for installing high quality LED headlight bulbs. The ones I purchased for $80 plug right into the OEM ballast as a D4R/D4S LED conversion kit for those low beam headlights. And yes, they are bright, a bit brighter than the HIDs, or at least the ones I've compared them to. You could also go the expensive route with diodedynamics LED bulbs for $200, but I don't know how different their product is or the quality. I don't recommend using halogen as they look ugly and use more energy than the LED.
On a side note, I also found a good 9005 LED product that can be used as DRL and high beams as it changes the brightness intensity when you switch on and off your brights. I also posted on my build thread 2 old photos showing the brightness quality, I currently use the same LED bulbs with no issues.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Of course, if you did not remove the ballasts the LEDs will be brighter, you are driving them at a much higher voltage than they were designed for. Brighter does not mean more useful or properly aimed. Headlights especially now are a highly engineered and designed product. Here in the US, LED headlight conversions are still to this day illegal if the car was not built with LED bulbs from the factory. This should be changing soon, but currently not yet.

I never needed to remove the OEM ballast for installing high quality LED headlight bulbs. The ones I purchased for $80 plug right into the OEM ballast as a D4R/D4S LED conversion kit for those low beam headlights. And yes, they are bright, a bit brighter than the HIDs, or at least the ones I've compared them to. You could also go the expensive route with diodedynamics LED bulbs for $200, but I don't know how different their product is or the quality. I don't recommend using halogen as they look ugly and use more energy than the LED.
On a side note, I also found a good 9005 LED product that can be used as DRL and high beams as it changes the brightness intensity when you switch on and off your brights. I also posted on my build thread 2 old photos showing the brightness quality, I currently use the same LED bulbs with no issues.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Huh, look at that, they do have direct drop in D4S LED bulbs that use the plug from ballast to HID bulb. Didn't have that when I did my bulbs.

Tell us more about these dimming DRL/Highbeam bulbs. Does it also solve the ever so slight flickering when in DRL mode?

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
311 Posts
Of course, if you did not remove the ballasts the LEDs will be brighter, you are driving them at a much higher voltage than they were designed for. Brighter does not mean more useful or properly aimed. Headlights especially now are a highly engineered and designed product.
I believe the conversion kits they are referring to are specific to D4S and are intended to be run at that voltage.
Given the prices of some of these bulbs I very much doubt they are current regulating the diodes though.
Also it seems like keeping the ballast nets you less light output than just running it from 12V. Makes sense as it's converting from DC to AC and then back to DC.

· Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
359 Posts
Of course, if you did not remove the ballasts the LEDs will be brighter, you are driving them at a much higher voltage than they were designed for. Brighter does not mean more useful or properly aimed. Headlights especially now are a highly engineered and designed product. Here in the US, LED headlight conversions are still to this day illegal if the car was not built with LED bulbs from the factory. This should be changing soon, but currently not yet.
Illegal or not, most people are switching over. And as I've said before, if the adjustment level is set properly, there should be no problem.

· Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
359 Posts
Huh, look at that, they do have direct drop in D4S LED bulbs that use the plug from ballast to HID bulb. Didn't have that when I did my bulbs.

Tell us more about these dimming DRL/Highbeam bulbs. Does it also solve the ever so slight flickering when in DRL mode?
I don't have any flickering issues with my dimming DRL/Highbeam LED bulbs, but I also use resistors just in case.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
I still do not see the advantage of the LEDs over the HIDs, if they are working, and you can get the bulbs at a decent price. The LEDs at least here in the US are illegal and due to that all kinds of claims and sketchy suppliers. But if that is what you want, and you can do it once and never have to do it again, t does not cause melting, fires or too much glare, why not?

Most? I think that is your fantasy, I would agree to stating some not most or other words meaning large numbers.

My original HID bulbs are working just fine, although after the Hit and run a number of years ago they may have been replaced. I still plan to replace them with OEM style when I upgrade all the bulbs.

· Registered
2010 GT Milano Red
18 Posts
I replaced the HID with newer ones and they are not very bright. It is hard to see the road. I have LEDs on my Accord and they are amazing (20k Lumens)
I had a similar problem but all it was its not correctly set in place. They find out in the technical check (mot in English) to make a car Road legal. Now, no problems whatsoever, I barely use the dimmed lights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts