Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ive found some nice HFP 17" meant for civic. Its going to add roughly 10 extra lbs of unsprung weight to the car. Its got me thinking, is it worth it?

Im going on the CRZ stock rim/tire combo at roughly 35 lbs,

the HFP 17" rim is 20 lbs and the tires that are on them are almost 25 lbs!!

Im thinking looks are cool, but i dont really care about looks so much. Function over form is more my motto than form over function.

Im debating whether to wait and get some new LIGHTER 16x7" rims and tires with a 205 width, or find something a little bigger and get a 17x7.5 and get the 215, with the added weight.

With the CR-Z to make it peppy i would assume that decreasing unsprung weight and weight in general on the vehicle will improve performance. I think i will wait, but does anyone know if adding 10 lbs per corner of unsprung weight is a lot?

from what ive researched, thats almost like adding 400 lbs to the car, basing on 1 lb of unsprung weight = 10 lbs of sprung weight...

I think that carrying around the equivalent to a morbidly obese slob all the time might take a hit on performance...

·
Registered
693 Posts
There are lots of opinions and theories abot how much the penalty is for unsprung weight. 10 pounds for 1 is a bit much, but I would support 5to 1

I can tell you that I swapped some run flat 195/55/16 for some conventional 175/65/15 on my MINI. The weight difference was 12.5 pound per wheel. To me it felt like a totally different, and better, car. The car was noticeably faster and the taller non run flat tires made it ride allot better. After that experience, I would never think of adding 10 pounds per comer to my car. But I have heard others state that they cannot feel the difference in street driving. I think a lightweight, low powered car is going to suffer more from excess unsprung weight, than would a heavier higher powered car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
you will feel the heavier weight. i have gone through many sets of wheel/tire combos over the years and the additional weight is noticeable. your car will feel and will be slower. do whatever you can to avoid the additional weight.

·
Registered
618 Posts
"The CRZ has forged aluminium wishbones front and rear, which save it 16kg of unsprung mass relative to an Insight, as well as 16in alloy wheels that are 5kg lighter per corner."

Your OEM spring rates and dampers were designed with this in mind. I wouldn't recommend changing the mass without changing your suspension. And the car doesn't have the power or cornering prowess to take advantage of the beefier tires.

Reactions: Anchors_Aweigh

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the responses, just like i had figured. Im going to wait until i get some decent scratch saved up and order me a set of lightweight rims and tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.