Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase a CR-Z within the next couple of weeks, and I'm very interested in adding XM radio. I've seen the instructions on the install at the College Hills Honda site, and I think it may be a little beyond my ability to install on my own.

The parts retail for $311, and labor rates probably vary by dealership. And I'm not sure how many hours are required for the install. So overall the labor cost is a big unknown. I'm hoping I can get a discount on the cost of parts as part of the deal for purchasing a car.

Has anyone had experience with having the XM receiver and antenna added by the dealer? Any suggestions on how much I should pay to have this added to the car?

Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the XM unit from the dealer that I bought my car from. I received a 15% dicount on the parts, but they were not willing to budge on installation cost. After looking at the instructions, I decided to install it myself. It was not difficult at all. Just follow the directions, take your time and it goes in fairly simply. You will save yourself at least a couple hundred bucks. I cant believe they dont offer XM as a factory installed option.
Good luck

· Registered
145 Posts
was thnking about adding also. anybody has skydock?

i had an XM receiver put in my 05 tacoma - alittle costly for the adapter and install.

thinking of going the Skydock route since you can move it to other vehicles.

let me know your experience if you have.
thanks
later
dan

· Registered
200 Posts
I purchased the XM unit from the dealer that I bought my car from. I received a 15% dicount on the parts, but they were not willing to budge on installation cost. After looking at the instructions, I decided to install it myself. It was not difficult at all. Just follow the directions, take your time and it goes in fairly simply. You will save yourself at least a couple hundred bucks. I cant believe they dont offer XM as a factory installed option.
Good luck
I was thinking of ordering the XM and doing the same. The one part of the instructions that concerns me is taking the pillar off. Was that difficult? There's an airbag inside there I presume...my concern was poking around in the wrong places and having an airbag blow up in my face.

· Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking of ordering the XM and doing the same. The one part of the instructions that concerns me is taking the pillar off. Was that difficult? There's an airbag inside there I presume...my concern was poking around in the wrong places and having an airbag blow up in my face.
So, worry not about taking off the A-pillar, it is very e-z... and you r more likely to get struck by lightening then have an airbag go of in your face(while working on a vehicle*not driving...lol). This is what I do for a living and installing units like these is usually plug and play... I have not directly dealt with the CR-Z yet but I am willing to bet that you do not have to to install the aftermarket XM antenna.. I am pretty sure it is located in the sharkfin antenna... the other end of the cable is going to be located where the XM box plugs(which I have not found yet) or directly behind the deck... More than likely it will be taped to a harness somewhere behind the glove box... Soon as I get a chance to dig into my CR-Z and have further info I will do a DIY post with all the info we need. :thumbsup:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, worry not about taking off the A-pillar, it is very e-z... and you r more likely to get struck by lightening then have an airbag go of in your face(while working on a vehicle*not driving...lol). This is what I do for a living and installing units like these is usually plug and play... I have not directly dealt with the CR-Z yet but I am willing to bet that you do not have to to install the aftermarket XM antenna.. I am pretty sure it is located in the sharkfin antenna... the other end of the cable is going to be located where the XM box plugs(which I have not found yet) or directly behind the deck... More than likely it will be taped to a harness somewhere behind the glove box... Soon as I get a chance to dig into my CR-Z and have further info I will do a DIY post with all the info we need. :thumbsup:
A good DIY post for the XM install would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3 Posts
You will have to use the supplied antenna, there is no connection to tap into the existing "sharkfin" antenna. The supplied antenna sticks to the inside of the windshield in the upper right corner,(hence the removal of the a-pillar cover) and the wire runs along the rail where the airbag is installed.

· Registered
200 Posts
So, worry not about taking off the A-pillar, it is very e-z... and you r more likely to get struck by lightening then have an airbag go of in your face(while working on a vehicle*not driving...lol). This is what I do for a living and installing units like these is usually plug and play... I have not directly dealt with the CR-Z yet but I am willing to bet that you do not have to to install the aftermarket XM antenna.. I am pretty sure it is located in the sharkfin antenna... the other end of the cable is going to be located where the XM box plugs(wh
ich I have not found yet) or directly behind the deck... More than likely it will be taped to a harness somewhere behind the glove box... Soon as I get a chance to dig into my CR-Z and have further info I will do a DIY post with all the info we need. :thumbsup:
Good to know thanks. I've had car interiors apart plenty of times but was always on older cars...hence my worry about the airbag stuff it is all new to me.

I'll try to do a DIY when I install anything on my car but don't wait. Around. XM is not a priority for me right now I've got other things going on.

· Registered
43 Posts
Dealer and I split the cost 50/50. If my Hyundai Santa Fe and Elantra had them already installed, you'd think Honda could as well.

To get to the XM radio, press the aux button. It shuffles through the iPod, radio, CD and XM.

DH likes the XM..I'm meh..whatever. Probably because he spends more time shuffling through the channels then listening(just like with the TV remote) because he have to know what's on everything else as well..LOL.

· Registered
675 Posts
DIY install all the way.

On an unrelated note - I'm sad that there is no HD radio option - there are dozens of HD stations in Atlanta, most of them are commercial-free, the sound quality is amazing and it's free. Bah.

· Registered
130 Posts
I'm disappointed in the lack of HD radio too, if the NAV device had this I would've bought it, but I stick with the EX base device.

I'll add XM if Stern signs up again, otherwise I think I'll get a Zune pass, but I hope Apple comes out with a subscription model too, like its rumoured to.

· Registered
49 Posts
I had the dealer roll it into the cost of the purchase -- I am getting it installed on Friday. I had to disconnect it in my last car to do a iPod connecter -- and I started to miss XM. So I am excited to get it back again.

· Registered
49 Posts
Doh I forgot to put that. It was $490... I thought about doing it myself but read the instructions and decided i didn't want to mess something up on a brand new car...
URGH! Just picked the car up from having the install done.... The financing people apparently put it as an "Aftermarket XM Unit" so they had a audio store come in and install an AFTERMARKET UNIT in my car. I am sooooo mad!

I told them that if I had wanted an aftermarket unit, I would of taken the car to an audio shop -- not the dealership. I went there cause I wanted the HONDA XM unit.

Here is a pic of what it looks like -- I hate it. It is just linked into the Aux port and wired into the power.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.