Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only filled my tank 3 times. Each time I waited until the low fuel light came on then filled up right then, like in a mile, do city driving. I've put 10.6, 10.4 and 10.2 gallons in it, fill it up up. Thing is warning light is supposed to come on with like 1.6 gallons left and I'm at 10.4 gallons added. So how much does it really hold, or is my warning light wrong and have at most 10 miles or so left?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I get nervous once the gauge shows a quarter of a tank on any vehicle, even if its new I don't trust fuel gauges to be closer than +/- 1 gal accurate. I may never let it get low enough to put out the warning light, I've still only had one fill up and it was 8 gallons.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think we've had like 60+ fill ups (over 21,500 miles) and the most we've ever added is 9.918 gallons (of what we've recorded on fuelly). We almost always wait until the fuel warning light is on, and often until the "RANGE" says 0 (plus a few miles).

So to answer your question, no idea what it really holds. LOL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I will wait till the light turns on, which is usually when there is 2 notches left. When I fill up at 2 notches it hover around 8.5 gallons I believe. Most I filled up on was 9.0 gallons and that was at 1 notch and some miles. Hope that helps you get an idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wait until all the bars on the fuel gauge are gone and then a few more miles after that. According to fuelly my average tank fills up with 10.3 US gallons. So like the others above me. Not sure what it actually holds cause according to Honda the tanks only holds 10.6 and I've heard of others putting more then the 10.6.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The low end of the range seems pessimistic to start with, the more you take it past 0 range, the better it learns. Using the A range and MPG, I typically have over 40 miles left (calculated) when it reads zero range. Max range so far is 405 miles, 51mpg, 8.8 gal tank (uk) and that was maybe 10 miles past range going to zero. That fill gave me 35 lites, tank holds rated 40. (so the numbers balance).

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
it's because you never empty the gas tank 100% or else you wouldn't make it to the gas station lol.

in Metric the car holds up to 40L and the most I put in was 35-36L

I tend to wait until the Gas bars go down to 1. (i think you can still drive a bit when there is no more bars but you really have not long to go)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have put in more than 10.6 on two occasions. If you fill it all the way to the top of the filler tube, you can get more than 10.6 gallons in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read on forum somebody put in 11.3 gallons. Of course when I put 10.6 gallons in mine right after the low fuel warning comes on the automatic gas filling cuts off around 9-9.5 gallons then I repeatedly keep pulling the gas handle until I can see gas in filler tube which is around 10.4-10.6. I'd like to run it all the out of gas just to see how far off my gas gauge is off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Driving all of the way to nothing is bad for your engine. Gasoline is not necessarily "Clean" and may contain water and sediment. The sediment of course will fall to the bottom, but if you take your tank to completely empty, it will get sucked up into the engine. I have a lot of friends and a dad who are mechanics and they say around a quarter of a tank is when you need to fill up, which is what I try to do. I am sure there are plenty of people who will answer "LOL. I take all my cars to empty and have for the last 25 years with no problem." Good for you. I see no need to risk it. And from personal experience, I filled up my chopper with gas in Oahu once and got a bit down the road and the thing just completely shut down. I had to call a truck and trailer to haul it to the Puuloa Road Harley shop to see what was wrong with it. What was wrong was the "gas" tank was mostly water. When I inquired, I found out that sometimes you can get water in the gas, but 1 gallon or so mixed in with a 20 gallon tank sort of gets blended in and you don't notice it. 1 Gallon in a 1 1/2 gallon bike tank...you do.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The sediment of course will fall to the bottom, but if you take your tank to completely empty, it will get sucked up into the engine.
That is what the fuel filter is for.

When I inquired, I found out that sometimes you can get water in the gas, but 1 gallon or so mixed in with a 20 gallon tank sort of gets blended in and you don't notice it. 1 Gallon in a 1 1/2 gallon bike tank...you do.
If the pump has 1 gallon of water for every 20 gallons of fuel in it's tank and puts that 1 gallon into your car for every 20 gallons of fuel you put into your car, how would the pump know to put the full 1 gallon of water into your 1 1/2 gallon tank on your bike? Answer: it wouldn't.

You got one bad fill up and can thus dictate to us how we should all behave with our vehicles and the amount of fuel we have in our tank when we fill up? Yes, water (condensation actually) does accumulate in fuel tanks when they are underground, however that condensation is spread out amongst the fuel as it is refilled each day/week by the fuel tankers that come in.

You will NOT get 1 gallon of water for every 20 gallons of fuel you put into your vehicle. If that were the case, EVERY SUV that fills up would be putting over 1 gallon of water into their tank each time they fill up. That is just plain wrong and inaccurate information.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Put in over 11 gallons (US) today, usually put in 10.6 gallons (US), went about 15 miles on zero range. I hate how its like a motorcycle tank where the auto fill cut off goes off one gallon too early. At least we don't have those shrouds on the hoses yet here in WA.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.